Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • MacBook Pro Password Issue
  • franksinatra

My MacBook Pro seems to struggle with the login password set against my profile. It frequently won’t recognise it despite me definitely typing it in perfectly. Sometimes it takes 8 or so attempts to get logged in. No such issue with the other profile (Mrs S).

Is this a know fault and anyone know of any solutions?

johndoh
    Free Member

Faulty keyboard? Closely watch the row of dots as you type to see if a character isn’t always inputting.

P-Jay
    Free Member

When we get this in work it’s usually caused by someone setting a password with caps lock on and than furiously typing it back in until they accidentally hit it again ha ha.

franksinatra

Thanks. I thought of both. Password is case sensitive so very careful putting it in correctly. I also wondered about dodgy keyboard so I have tested it by typing the password multiple times into a word document, I can’t recreated the fault there.

wwaswas

Put a screen shot of the word doc up – maybe we can spot the issue?

franksinatra

Good idea. Unfortunately that would involve posting a photo on the forum and I can’t do that.

wwaswas

Have you tried changing the password so it includes none of the letters/symbols int he current one?

johndoh
    Free Member

I use an Apple wireless keyboard and I find that when putting my password in that all the characters don’t always input (when waking from Sleep mode). It’s fine when it has fully woken but it just seems to lag a bit in the initial cycle. That doesn’t explain why the issue doesn’t happen on the other account though.

Have you tried changing your password?

franksinatra

Nope, not changed password yet but I think I will.

oldtennisshoes

Are you using characters or symbols which are in different places on UK/USA keyboards?

Could it be that waking from sleep or at bootup, it’s defaulting to 1 version and then only switching to the correct version after its ‘warmed up’

Obvioulsly ‘warmed up’ is a technical term here 🙂

franksinatra

Only letter and numbers, one letter is in Caps

Sandwich

If your MacBook Pro has a ‘butterfly’ keyboard and is of a certain age you may well be due a nice repair from the lovely Apple people. Have a look at the support area on the Apple UK website and check. They are susceptible to failure if you get crumbs or other muck behind the keys.

Superficial
    Free Member

A mechanical keyboard issue that only manifests at login is… unlikely.

What model year is it? My money is that it’s something to do with FileVault. Your wife’s password may be the master password (is hers the main account?) which is also the FileVault password. Whereas when you login the process for unlocking the hdd is different.

You can disable FileVault in the system preferences, if you like. Unless you have a t2-enabled machine from the last 12 months or so this process will take a looong time (hours).

harvey
    Free Member

don’t know what your problem , however i had a  password issue and rang the number on the apple support page and can say they were absolutely excellent.

the first thing they made me do was update to latest software. then took over the laptop online. they then spent about 40 minutes going thro various areas until the problem was solved.

very impressed with the way they handled the situation, seemed to have all the time to solve the issue.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘MacBook Pro Password Issue’ is closed to new replies.