Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Mac monkeys and techies to the fore!
  • rascal
    Free Member

I’m a bit of a technophobe so bear with me!

I have a iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015 and I’m looking to connect it to a 2012 Lenovo PC screen so I can have all my palettes on that instead of constantly being in the way.

Established it’s Thunderbolt to VGA…don’t need sound from the screen so this is fine.

The Mac resolution is 5120x2880px and the screen is 1366x768px.

I read somewhere about resolution compatibility potentially being an issue but can’t find it! In a nutshell, can I use the item below? Want confirmation it’ll be ok before I buy…cheers

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-m-Thunderbolt-to-VGA-Monitor-Video-Cable-Adapter-with-Gold-Plated-Connector/202094647849?epid=1839589028&hash=item2f0dc79a29:g:1zYAAOSwHOlcYY-F

oldtennisshoes

The Mac should detect the monitor and tell you what the optimum resolution is.
    That cable should work, but I’d be tempted to go with the HDMI option if there is one.

rascal
    Free Member

VGA only…cheers

rossburton
    Free Member

Brace yourself for the mind-bending resolution difference between your retina screen and VGA…

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Is it really VGA only? Even for 2012 that seems unlikely.

There are a stack of reasonably hi res Dell monitors in their refurb section for under £100

rascal
    Free Member

Def VGA only…wife brought the monitor home from work months ago so it’s just sitting here doing nothing…thought I could utilise it just for Adode programme palettes. Not fussed about buying another…

jimdubleyou

VGA connector will support 1080, so it might not be as horrible as you would assume 🙂

Cougar

No DVI even?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Mac monkeys and techies to the fore!’ is closed to new replies.