Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Lyrik seal head upgrade – bottomless tokens
  • colp

I just fitted the 2021 seal head upgrade to some 160mm 2020 Lyrik selects. Fork feels good but I did bottom out twice tonight off a couple of drops. Only running 2 bottomless tokens at the moment, 90 PSI, around 90kg aggressive rider.
    Reckon I need more tokens in? I think the max is 5.
    Anyone else fitted this and did you keep the same pressure?

Cheers
    Col

oikeith

When I had the debonair shaft and head fitted I removed one of the two tokens I had installed and went up in air by around 25PSI. Fork then felt really good, sat high and was good on the bumps.

Im 85-90kgs, also ride hard, my settings were 105-110PSI in the fork, two clicks of compression dampening from open and 4 clicks of rebound dampening from open.

EDIT: Fork is a 160mm Lyrik B1 with the C1 upgrades

SirHC

Bought a set of Lyrik Ultimates with the C1 airshaft fitted, they never felt as good as my Lyrik RC2’s on the other bike, small bump wasn’t nearly as good, they felt stiff off the top. B1 airshaft fitted and they are perfect.

IMO, the C1 airshaft is in response to the B1 forks sucking down into their travel, not giving the advertised positive travel, but upto 5mm less. Doesn’t bother me, as I’ll just run the next airshaft up and have been since the B1 came out.

92kg
    Trail Bike: 150mm Lyrik RC2, B1 Airshaft, 105psi, 1 token
    Enduro Bike: 170mm Lyrik Ultimate, B1 Airshaft, 92psi, 0.5tokens

colp

Interesting. I have arthritis in one of my shoulders so small bump sensitivity is very important to me. I usually run my forks with a bit less pressure than recommended to compensate and zero lsc
    I’ll do some adjustments tonight, maybe a bit of pressure and turn up the hsc a bit

Onzadog
    Free Member

There’s an extensive thread on MTBR where tight bushings seem to be the main cause of poor small bump sensitivity.

Sorting the bushing clearance seems to make more difference than any other upgrade or tweak.

Best test, with the seals out, see if the CSU drops into the lowers smoothly under their own weight.

joebristol

I had the 2019 airshaft (sounds like the b1) in my Yari that I’d fitted a charger 2 damper to and Lyrik skf seals. I was running that with no tokens in and about 25% sag and didn’t ever bottom it. Weigh just over 80kgs and slightly clumsy on the riding front.

I’d have thought 2 tokens were plenty – what sag are you running? I probably would aim to have no more than 30% sag otherwise you’re sitting through the initial plush small bump absorption and into the bit where it starts to ramp up. So you might find a bit more pressure actually gives you a bit more small bump compliance in a funny way.

As you have high speed compression adjustment (think 5 clicks) maybe another click on that might just slow down the final bit of shaft travel on hard impacts. Leaving the lsc more open and just enough to counter dive should leave you with decent small bump.

If they’re new forks and they aren’t as plush as you thought it might be worth dropping the lowers off to re-grease the seals and make sure you have enough lower leg lube in them.

colp

Cheers all

I did the upgrade myself yesterday so did a lower leg service too. Didn’t have any 0w-30 oil in so I used 0w-40 synthetic engine oil (10ml per leg). They’re still plush enough but made a couple of big bangs off small drops to flat last night (4’ or so).
    I think sag is around 25 to 30 but I was rushing out to ride last night so I’ll check properly tonight.

cx_monkey

Yari here originally, but upgraded with Debonair B1 (probs going to get the C1 seal head shortly to solve the tiny suck down issue), etc to pretty much Lyric standard – albeit 150mm 29er ones. Struggled to get the small bump sensitivity I wanted without losing midstroke support. Was easy enough to stop bottom out obviously, by using more tokens, but still found that the fork wouldn’t work in the mid range when small bump working well. Always planned to ditch the shi##ty MoCo damper, so – got the Fast Suspension UP 3 Way damper to hopefully control dive as it has slow, medium and fast compression control. Worked at treat and now have great small bump with good midrange support. Have also swapped out bottomless tokens for an MRP ramp kit – not because I think it’s better than tokens, but the external adjustment is useful.

Bagstard
    Free Member

Personally I would remove the tokens and add pressure, the fork sits higher in the travel and gives better small bump sensitivity, there is a good push industries podcast about this, as said above too much sag and you are spending most of the time in the firmer part of the stroke.

colp

I added 10PSI (up to 100) and also realised that I had no HSC on so wound that about half way.
    Did a few smallish drops and it seems a bit better, not using all of the travel so far.
    I’ll keep experimenting with small pressure increases.

colp

Just a little update for anyone trying to set their fork up.

Tried upping the pressure to 110psi, zero lsc, around 7 clicks hsc. The fork was horrible, bouncing off roots etc

Dropped the pressure back down to 100 and added another token (3 in total), wound all compression back off. Much better, fork tracking the ground again but not bottoming out off drops.

Weighed myself and I’m around 85kg kitted up.

oikeith

Tried upping the pressure to 110psi, zero lsc, around 7 clicks hsc

Did you remove some rebound when going up in air? I was told more air needs less rebound dampening

Onzadog
    Free Member

More air needs more rebound. Rebound is easier to set as it’s there to control the rebound force which is related to air pressure and position in the travel. In contrast, compression is affected by a variety of things.

More air pressure means more force to extend the fork, so more damping required to control that.

However, the question is still valid, did you adjust rebound when it felt bouncy at 110 psi?

Having said that, I’ve not listened to the pod cast yet, but there is a growing school of thought that says to set air pressure by feel. Too wallowy, add air, too pingy, reduce the air. Then start playing with damping adjustments.

Bagstard
    Free Member

Did you try without tokens? I’m around 92kg, 110 psi, no tokens, 1 click of low speed and feels great, doesn’t use all of the travel, but close enough.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Lyrik seal head upgrade – bottomless tokens’ is closed to new replies.