Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Luggage… What you using?
  • dufresneorama
    Free Member

Need some luggage ideas.

I’m looking for a cabin bag, wheeled with rucksack straps.

Also a suitcase or holdall that will be checked. Seen the way airport handlers throw them about, so either very sturdy, or something soft. Like the look of the lomo blaze holdall 60L.

Unlikely to use both at once. Cabin bag for city breaks, hold luggage for sedentary Holidays, but will see some other use.

dovebiker

Osprey Farpoint 40 for carry-on – no wheels or handle so you can stuff it into small places.
    Also have a ME black tarpaulin hold-all for general baggage duties. I once flew out of Brize on the Trooper to Akrotiri – part of VIP visit so got to collect luggage first – they pulled the baggage carts over with 500 bags – almost all green Bergens or black TNF/ME holdalls 🤣

jam-bo

Patagonia black hole 55. Got it half price, not sure I’d pay full whack.

Osprey transporter look good.

Can’t stand wheeled cases.

kilo

We have some Briggs and Riley luggage, very well made kit.

iainc

I have an Osprey Farpoint 40. It’s good for weekends away, but doesn’t work for me for flying on business trips. If I put in overnight kit, a pair of shoes, laptop, chargers, notebook etc, it becomes a cumbersome beast and not comfortable over a smart jacket. I stick with a 4 wheeled Samsonite hard shell for cabin use.

fasthaggis

Only use hard luggage on train/car trips,take holdalls for flights (it’s been a while) and use rucksack transit bags over them ,they are tough nylon and take the edge of the abuse that baggage handlers dish out. Flight carry on is usually small backpacks.

TiRed

Just bought a Patagonia Black Hole Mini MOC 26L for cabin use. Neat design, largest bag you won’t pay for on budget airlines (fits under a seat), straps for rucksack mode. For my jet-setting oldest son for travel. Will manage a weekend away with a laptop no trouble. He’s studying in Dublin for four years, so needs those cheap flights and can do without price gouging check in fees.

Me? I travel light with a Barbour waxed cotton weekend bag. That’s sees me ok for a week. For more serious travel, I have a victorinox pull-along expanding case that’s survived many years of abuse. One down from Tumi.

My general advice is buy smaller and buy quality. Your kit/mess expands to fit the bag you’re taking, so take a smaller bag and use judgement. We have some cheaper Delsey and Antler huge cases and they are of modest quality but large volume.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

We have an osprey fairpoint for carry on, very well thought out bit of kit.

No wheels though, but not sure I would want that for carry on as taking up space / weight.

robertajobb

Just to be aware – some airlines (the sh1t ones like Ryan Air a good (bad) example) have a smaller carry-on size than proper airlines.   And of course either shark like predatory approach includes staff eyeing up carry on bags to check and stiff you with a £50 bag check in penalty.

(My Samsonite carry on is sized to the proper airline dims. Lasted 2 decades of heavy use , still going well, just needs re-tyre-ing as the wheels are worn down a lot) as I use it for virtually all my work trips abroad).  But falls foul on the nasty airlines. I know as I got stiffed for the ££ once.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

for cabin bag i use a lowe alpine carry-on 45. handle, should strap and rucksack straps, but no wheels (better without imho – lighter, more comfortable to carry, can squeeze it into smaller spaces). big enough for 4 -5 days away on a city break if you pack carefully.

for hold bag – whatever duffel / kit bag suits your needs in terms of size and brand affiliation! i’ve got a couple of the Mountain equipment ones (70L and 100L dependent on length of trip / if i’m having to take outdoor kit with me). work a treat, well made (had for a fair few years and yet to be damaged by airport handlers) and comfortable enough to carry on the rucksack straps

hard luggage and wheels is just inviting something to break!

cx_monkey

For hold luggage I’ve been using an Ogio Rig 9800 for the past 7 or 8 years. It’s by far the best ‘soft’ roller bag around. its not cheap, but it is bomb proof. 120l at max, but compress happily to about 80l. Mine’s been through most major airports in the USA, Europe & Asia and has come out unscathed. The have a smaller 100l roller called the Equipment Rig, which is 2/3 the price, but uses the same chassis and wheels, but can’t compress. They’ve also got some decent looking cabin sized travel backpacks – but never used them. I tend to take a slightly more hiking orientated backpack (but still with a laptop sleeve – Marmot Toolbox 26 is the current one) with me when I travel as I like to try to get a bit of hiking in over weekends, etc when I’m on business trips. That said I do have a Dakine Split Adventure 38L if its just a few days trip and I don’t want/need hold baggage. That’s a really cool bag – but not as well made as an Ogio product, but has heaps of handles for lugging it around, loads of internal organisation, and the harness can be hidden away.

dday

Another vote for Briggs and Riley, just good kit.

5lab

Patagonia black hole 55.

bigger than most airlines carry-on size limits. You might get lucky, or you might have to pay to chuck it in the hold.

Fat-boy-fat

My Berghaus 80 litre holdall seems to be indestructible as hold luggage. About 10 years of use now. Flights at least 4 times a year. Still looks brand new and has an integrated wheely thing, so you get the best of both worlds. On business trips, I use a Samsonite hard shell mini wheely thing for hand baggage. On hols, I just use my Evoc trail pack as I’m generally going biking or hiking on hols and want a backpack with a bladder.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Cheers all, will check out some of those suggestions and maybe forego the wheels.

mattyfez

I use one of these:

Vango Freedom II 80+20 Travel Backpack – Blue

80 litre main pack can zip the strapps up for hold luggage, it also opens up like a suicase rather than a ‘top loader’. Detachable 20 litre day pack perfect for carry on.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

TNF duffels. We’ve got 7 of them IIRC. The early ones, ie 25+ years old are outstanding. The newer ones not so much.

We’ve used them less in the last 15 years as carting 4 x 20kg bags and a 22kg ski bag between two of us became a nightmare. So We’ve moved over to Berghaus Mules 100, which are much lower quality but seem to be hanging in there. The kids can tow one each quite easily.

Also got an enormous TNF Rolling Thunder which is a complete waste of time as it weighs nearly 6kg. Stupid **** waste of space

elgolfo

That Ogio Rig 9800 weighs 6.4Kg – that’s a lot of your baggage allowance gone already!

jca

luggage....

seadog101

Osprey or Eastpak.
    After god knows how many flights jetting off to join and depart ships all over the world, these are my go to brands. Light tough and durable.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.