Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • LSR professional reproofing service
  • dufresneorama
    Free Member

Has anyone used Lancashire Sports Repairs professional dwr reproofing service?

My winter waterproof, ME Kongur is wetting out a bit. I’ve cleaned and reproofed a few times using different methods, but it never last that long (as to be expected).

I see LSR offers a reproofing service, hopefully more akin to the factory dwr.

Has anyone used it before? If so, how did it perform?

Cheers

frankconway

When you did it at home did you follow ME’s guidance – available online?
    You could contact their repair dept and ask for recommendations on who to use.

matt_outandabout

When you did it at home did you follow ME’s guidance – available online?

I am having email contact with ME warranty folk (very helpful) about the fact that my ME Zeno is just not ‘taking’ a replacement DWR.
    – I have spent 30 years reproofing, including 20x staff uniform waterproofs at a time. Never had an issue.
    – Following instructions on Nikwax and ME site *exactly)
    – I can clean and proof it in the same wash as two other brands, and they have taken DWR nicely (Berghaus Hydroshell, GoreTex Proshel, Berghuas and Montane Paclite) across a couple of washes.

Two things we are discussing: firstly this is my first bottle of the ‘new’ Nikwax proofer which is less harmful to the environment, but it really does not last as long and is not as good at the start and secondly – is the face fabric too smooth or somehow polluted?

I am giving it a clean this weekend – a last attempt with soap flakes (instead of Nikwax Techwash) then TX10.

If that does not work, a new ME Gawahl will be ordered.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Haven’t specifically followed MEs instructions, but as with Matt I’ve been washing and reproofing my gear for decades.

Tried wash in, spray on, wash in but steeped in bucket etc.

Usually use nikwax, but might try one of the other brands ME recommends.

My method does work, and water beads off nicely, but just doesn’t last that long that’s why wondering about the professional dwr reproofing.

honeybadgerx

The older water repellant coatings, particularly the kind that Granger’s used to use, are pretty horrendous on the environment. They contained a lot of “forever” chemicals (they don’t break down with time in the environment) and quite rightly most folk have moved away from them. I’d maybe check what kind LSR are using (it might be totally fine), but if they are using fluorinated/PFAS substances it would be good to steer clear.

Good sports wash can make quite a difference too, I rate Halo stuff.

alaric

I’ve used LSR on and off since the ’90’s.

They’ve always been very helpful and professional, and I’ve been very happy with the results.

I’ve used them for Rucksack repair, Gore-Tex reproofing and Scarpa boot resoling.

jonk

I used them last year on a gore GTX jacket. They reproofed it, sent it back, first ride out it wet out. I complained, sent it back to them, they tested it and said the membrane was toast and refunded me. Pretty good that they refunded me but they could have tested it before hand.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Cheers all. I’ll try another wash and reproof using something other than nikwax and if I don’t get good results I’ll ask them to reproof it.

Have used LSR before when about 20 years ago my lovely sprayway down jacket got soaked in the rain. My stepmum put it in the tumble dryer and the zip melted. I held onto it for about 10 years before getting the zip replaced. It was a great jacket, after a couple of years I retired it to brewing duties. Insulating my brew pot when I used to biab.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.