Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • LR Defender 110 Station Wagon drivers?
  • MussEd
    Free Member

Interested in the 5 seater version of the 110 Defender…but how does it shape up as a bike mobile? For instance, can you get a large adult MTB in the back without removing wheels?

Yep I know the inevitable “just buy a japanese 4×4” shouts will come, but it’s this or nothing (well this or a people carrier!)

So anyone around have one of these for biking duties? Been on a couple of Land Rover Forums but the cliquey nature makes the big hitter brigade on here look like amateurs – don’t think they like mention of the word “bike” to be honest…any pics/experiences greatly appreciated!

trail_rat
    Free Member

love landys (ongoing project v8 on my drive) but the 5 seat station wagon 110 has an 88’s load area = no good for bikes.

you cannot get a full bike in the back with wheels on.

get used to going no where fast.

MussEd
    Free Member

Hmm. thought that may be the case. Not bothered about lack of speed, I will be turning 40 this year so boy racing days are long past…forgive my ignorance but what do you mean by an 88? is that the previous incarnation of the 90?

Would you say a 90 with a towbar rack would be a better option then? in terms of reducing size/weight etc?

br
    Free Member

Based on my buddy’s one, only when he dropped one of the rear seats. What about a Disco?

trail_rat
    Free Member

yeah 88 is the old series designation for what became the 90″

do you have a need for rear seats ie kids – or the ocassional passenger ?

if the latter id buy a 3 door 110 and fit fold out dickie seats from exmoor with propper 3point seatbelt into correct mountings

90s hold their value/are more expensive to buy than the 110s for some reason 🙁

what ever you do – buy on condition of the chassis/bulkhead not the body work.the chassis on the new ones seem to be made of tinfoil – i was thinking of a td5(disco) replacement recently but the chassis(on the discos AND the defenders) just aint lasting like they used to.

the bodywork and even the engine are cheap and easy to replace in comparison to the chassis and bulkhead.

trail_rat
    Free Member

discos are even worse for rear end space than the 110 .

going from a 110(ish) wheelbase to 100.

psling
    Free Member

you cannot get a full bike in the back with wheels on.

Well, you can, albeit a (26″ wheeled) HT; diagonally with no fold-down seats fitted!

Biggest problem with carrying in a Land Rover is the narrow rear door.

IMO a tow-bar mounted bike rack is one of the best ways to carry bikes in/on a LR.

110/90 – up to you. 90 excells off road, 110 much more practical on road. (88 was leaf-sprung short wheel base LR before coil-sprung 90s).

Daniel
    Free Member

I had a 110 station wagon. I used to take the wheels off then put the bike in facing forwards and leaning on the wheel arch / folded up seats. Wheels then leaning against the bike.

I’d go for a towbar mounted rack. Just allow for the spare wheel on the back door.

Downsman
    Free Member

I have a 110 and three children who love to ride around in it; they call it the Ninky Nonk! For bikes, you won’t be able to put an adult bike in the back without dropping at least one of the passenger seats immediately behind the driver as the space in the back is too short! There are though a couple of options which work well:

1. If it is just your bike you can drop just one of the three passenger seats and wheel the bike in without taking the front wheel off;

2. If there is more than one bike, you need to drop all three passenger seats is you want to keep the wheels on. To address this, I have a three bike tow-bar rack which allows me to put the bikes on the back easily. You can keep the rack on and still open the back door (so long as no bikes on it…). This was all a bit of a drag at first, especially given the size of the vehicle, but actually works out well. Four of us can easily get about with four bikes and loads of kit for a weeks camping no problem!

Cheers, D

MussEd
    Free Member

Cheers lads, my connection is a bit funny today for some reason.

Trail Rat – Yep need the second row of seats for kids…I’ll look into the fold down seat option….

Failing that – is there a rack that allows for the door mounted spare then Daniel?

MussEd
    Free Member

See what I mean about dodgy connection?- missed Downsmans input there!

trail_rat
    Free Member

id take the spare off the door and mount on the load area bulkhead as it kills door hinges/door welds in short order …..

or mount it on a swingaway carrier.

MussEd
    Free Member

And what is the accepted wisdom on the newer 2.2 engine? worth paying the premuim for a newer one or look out for good oldie? bear in mind I’m not yet looking to take up tinkering as a hobby(though accpet I probably will if I keep this thing for any decent amount of time – so if I buy a newish one I will keep it forever!)

trail_rat
    Free Member

the 2.2 puma is accepted as a crap engine in almost every platform. coupled with the fact you also get the interior from a focus in an already cramped cockpit and loose the flaps so you cant wink at others.

in your position id look for a td5 – but make sure it has had or get done the ECU mod to stop the oil migration.

If it was me id look for a good condition 300TDI

thing with these is that you have to buy on condition. id rather a 200/300tdi with all the boxes ticked (FSH/stack of reciept / vin numbers that match/solid chassis and bulkhead with oodles of waxoyl or similar etc etc than a new 2.2 puma.

mt
    Free Member

Get a 110 Utility. The 2.2 Puma engine is great and is only disliked by those bearded “one life live it types” Everything else about noisy, cramped, old fashioned, cheap plastics is true. I love mine. If you can get the XS model 2nd hand its really good and someone else has taken the list price hit. Mine will do 90, you will need to stop up your ears to prevent the blood leaking out once over 65.

globalti
    Free Member

Used to have a 90 and the lack of rear space for bikes was a problem. If we buy another Landy it will be a 110 hardtop with folding inward-facing seats at the fronts of the wheel boxes and 1/2 side windows fitted. That seems to be the ideal compromise.

GregMay
    Free Member

So dare I ask on the ex MOD 110’s then? Obviously going to be a mixed bag, but worth taking a pop at the prices they go for?

trail_rat
    Free Member

The 2.2 Puma engine is great and is only disliked by those bearded “one life live it types”

or anyone with a puma equiped transit

michaelbowden

The 2.2 Puma engine is great and is only disliked by those bearded “one life live it types”

or anyone with a puma equiped transit

Or Fiat Ducato or Citroen Relay or Peugeot Boxer

globalti
    Free Member

There aren’t many ex-MOD Landies around in good shape at the moment according to Graham at Crook Brothers; what is coming out of the MOD is in very damaged condition having been to Afghanistan or the Middle East.

In old days you could get decent demobbed Landies in reasonable nick; our C reg 90 came with loads of new parts bolted on, so new they still had the barcodes.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘LR Defender 110 Station Wagon drivers?’ is closed to new replies.