Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Low stack conventional 11/8 headset
  • IvanMTB
    Free Member

Hi,

Got nice pair of forks for my Charge Plug but they are taller than original one.
    395mm vs 407mm. New one got extended off set to compensate for longer A2C but still want to install new headset with lowest possible stack.

Problem is, Plug have conventional ID34, external cups headset. And they are not known for particularly low height.
    Read somewhere that Crank Bros directset headsets had pretty low stack.
    Unfortunately they are not available now and their reliability was questionable at best.

Any suggestion for alternative? Or I’m unnecessarily splitting hair in 4 or even 8? Plug is do-it-all machine, commuter, work mule, not racing machine, so I will probably never feel that front end is 12mm taller…
    Cheers!
    I.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Acros are the lowest, decent ones I’ve used. Mine was 13mm top height and 12mm bottom, inc. the crown race. I think ebay has some.

vincienup
    Free Member

Any prospect for saving your stack height with a lower stem and leave the headset?

mamadirt
    Free Member

Bog-standard steel, loose-ball headsets are just a touch over 20mm – folk may sneer but I’ve used them for years – just use a decent quality grease. Alu versions are not a great deal taller either.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Cheers Chaps!

Riding position is not a problem, still can take out one spacer from under the stem, so stem stack is not an issue.
    I was rather concerned with bottom bracket lift.

Found Aerozine headset with listed stack of 25mm.

At the moment have lose ball bearing headset, but it is on it’s last legs so I was thinking about something new.
    Might need to check what it is, as if lower than cartridge bearings I will swap for another loose ball bearing one 🙂
    Cheers!
    I.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Low stack conventional 11/8 headset’ is closed to new replies.