• This topic has 6 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by paton.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Low fodmap rice cakes
  • Ewan
    Free Member

Hi all, I get IBS but a low fodmap diet keeps the worse of it at bay. Does mean i struggle with energy bars tho – generally they have fructose in them which is a no no.

However white rice is fine, so I’ve finally got round to trying rice cakes (not the puffy ones you get from the shops, the solid stodgy ones that pros use on the tour).

Does anyone have any low fodmap recipes? This video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpO3w5-Hi8c seems not totally terrible, but it does have a lot of coconut in it.

honeybadgerx

Check out the feedzone portables cookbook, various rice cake recipes in there, sweet & savoury, plus plenty of other ideas for you to maybe try. It’s my go to when planning long rides.

bfw

I second “Check out the feedzone portables cookbook”. This changed my riding food forever. I now eat these type of rice cakes or just eat normal food. Audax rides are good for this. Ginsters pasties are my go to if I am not going to stop 🙂

I did my fastest 200k a couple weeks back after ten years of riding on Ginsters and the odd late or tea

Kuco

Also interested as just been diagnosed with IBS and am currently in the 3rd of 6 weeks of only eating Low FODMAP food. My stomach is much better for it, I’m really going to miss garlic and onions as those two really upset my stomach.

A DR Allen Lim savory recipe. Everything is allowed on the FODMAP though I don’t know about the amount of soy sauce he puts in. He’s the author of the above-suggested book.

Linky

I use to like Torq gels but at 21.5% fructose are definitely out. This site Spoonful shows some that should be okay but I guess it’s a case of trial and error, happy to see Clif shot bloks on there.

Spoonful

Ewan
    Free Member

Great thanks all – i will report back.

Milese
    Free Member

I’ve not clicked the recipes quoted etc, but my findings are that pudding rice is the best to use as it holds together more nicely.

Apparently a rice cooker makes it easier and better.

They freeze ok, they do become a bit drier and grainy, but still perfectly edible.

I use the recipe with coconut cream, brown sugar and a bit of cinnamon.

paton
    Free Member

Rice, low in nutrients but high in arsenic.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.