Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Lost in Epping Forest
  • mupp165
    Free Member

Anyone know where the start of this ride is ? Have searched but cannot find it.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Ooh yeah I know it!

I think…

Middle bit confused me a bit, but it looks very much like a trail I take from just off High Beech, down towards Chingford. Comes off Manor Road, I reckon, then across Avey Lane. Then going south westish down through the forest where it comes out just a bit south east of Church road.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=epping+forest&ll=51.65906,0.034933&spn=0.016106,0.026822&hnear=Epping+Forest,+United+Kingdom&gl=uk&t=h&z=15&vpsrc=6

I think. I could be wrong, but I think I’m right.

Kryton57

Wow, thats our group vid.

So, you start at High beech by (carls) green tea hut, and head off up the road right, with the tea hut behind you, parked cars on your rh side.

100 yards later you pass a house. 50 yards after that you’ll see that “in” now blocked by a large log – there’s a new in about 10ft after, hidden slightly behind the bush next to the log. Its a bit difficult to see the in/start of the trail at the moment as there’s a lot of leaves down but you’ll get it.

If you get to a left turn in the road with a church half way down it, you’ve gone too far.

Kryton57

ON your map ES, its going “in” on Manor road, then through the trees pretty much parallell with and in the centre of Manor and nursery roads, behind the church.

singletrackhor
    Free Member

Elf’s right.

Trail starts by the d in ‘Manor road’ just underneath “High Beech” on the map posted above. Easy to follow that route, just take a right at the first split in singletrack.

Nice bit of singletrack in the dry, becomes a bog in the winter though, especially the first and last sections of the video.

Kryton57

Elf’s right.

Thanks for sharing the credit 😕

mupp165
    Free Member

Thanks

mupp165
    Free Member

That was far too easy for you, any ideas about this one (sorry, no prizes just thanks).

Kryton57

Yep.

Follow the previous vid and where we go across the road, and then bear left at the person standing on the trail by the tree at 1.58 – well instead of going left, follow the singletrack straight on. You come to a (the) foot path, turn left and your heading down the hill as per vid no 2. It looks very different at the moment though.

Btw, if you want some help/guidance your welcome to join our group, we are usually there on Sundays, although this week they are at Peaslake and I’m on my tod, happy to show you these trails / generally about the place. Its a social group no club or anything, and you usually have to be prepared to eat bacon at some point in the ride. 🙂

mupp165
    Free Member

Cheers Kryton57, you certainly know your forest. And thanks for the invite, might have to take you up on that at some point(Will be blasting around early doors the w’end)

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Second one is the route I take down from Avey Road. I’ll have a look for the route in the top vid next time I go up to HB though. 🙂

Speed looks quite fast in the second vid. If you filmed it now in the mud, you’d think it was running at 1/4 speed. 😆

Kryton57

No problem, I’ve been riding around there for 10 years.

If your about at 9-9.30 at high beech any weekend bumble around amongst the various groups up there and ask for Stan, that’ll be me, or if I’m not about our group’ll quite happily know who you mean and will accept you into the fold 🙂

Happy riding!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

9-9.30??? 😯

Lord above. No chance. I’m not even up that early on a Sunday, let alone the one and a half hours at least I’ll take me to get there from home.

Kryton57

No comittment ES, tut tut tut. 😉

I ride from home, takes me 35 mins, I’m quite lucky to live so close to a forest full of singletrack.

singletrackhor
    Free Member

Thanks for sharing the credit

huh?

Are you the group that ride oranges?

Kryton57

Lol @ STH, but no, thats not us.

singletrackhor
    Free Member

Top bananas? Grey santa cruz group?

Kryton57

No, and No.

Few Yeti’s, an Intense, Pivot, Trek, Giant and 3 Ventanas depending on who turns up.

I was riding a red Intense Tracer, now on an white/turq ASR-5.

grahamt1980

Any suggestions on good routes and where to start? We are heading there next wednesday.

singletrackhor
    Free Member

Ah! Seen you lot down at whipps x cafe a few times over the summer when out with another group.
    Will say ‘hello’ next time. 🙂

Kryton57

Blimey graham.

TBH, you can start from multiple points (high beech is a favorite because of the parking / tea hut) but there miles of singletrack – you could be there all day and never ride the same trail twice.

I couldn’t describe a route to you, as its a bit like joining up trail A with trail B, then maybe today we’ll put trial F in the middle and it relies on lots of local / visual knowledge – it is miles of trails through trees so everything looks the same after a while.

On the plus side Epping is intersected by A roads and because of its condensed nature your never really more than an hour max from High beech. My advice for anyone “new” to the forest is to join an established/knowledgeable group for the day, or just ride and follow your nose but keep a smart phone/map handy so you can find your way back.

Just ride every bit of singletrack you can Graham, and enjoy. I normally ride wednesdays so would have been happy to offer to guide you but I’m working away this week.

singletrackhor
    Free Member

@ Grahamt, you ridden there before? its really hard to explain singletrack in epping and with the leaves falling this week even the locals get confused. Id show you round but cant ride on wednesday.

EDIT : beaten to it again 🙂

grahamt1980

Fair enough. Will do the usual then and follow any interesting bit of singletrack we see. Will start at the tea shack though. Cheers

Kryton57

whipps cross eh STH – yes thats probably us, we are regulars there, usually the loud ones. By all means say hi and join us for a coffee!

Kryton57

Graham – do you or one of yours have a Garmin or similar? I can send you a GPX file as long as you promise not to come an burgle my house?

grahamt1980

Thanks for the offer but not got a gps. Will go with the try to get lost option as usual. Have managed to navigate my way round the other stuff at thetford and up at sherwood pines so will see how we go

singletrackhor
    Free Member

@ Graham, carl’s tea hut used to do a map, might be worth asking.

@Kryton, the ventanas swung it, will say hello next time.

senorj

Fair enough. Will do the usual then and follow any interesting bit of singletrack we see. Will start at the tea shack though

Make sure you take a compass & there’s also a useful map of the forest
    for sale at the High Beech visitor center thingy.
    ( I think it’s still open).V handy.

I always start Darn Sarf near South Woodford/North Circular water works corner – there is loads of singletrack all the way up to High Beech & beyond.
    Have fun – if it doesn’t rain again before Wednesday it shouldn’t be too much of a bog.

chakaping
    Free Member

Are you the group that ride oranges?

I think that’s the lot I go out with. They’re spreading like a disease them Oranges.

mupp + graham – You should try to take up one of these kind offers of a show round, Epping can be very frustrating if you don’t know where you’re going – especially once it gets muddy.

grantway
    Free Member

Yep know that one well
    The actual start is blocked now by a large log.

But you pass the old start by Three feet and then
    on sharp left into a descent and connects to trail.

grantway
    Free Member

Mupp this is part of the same trail as above

mupp165 – Member
    That was far too easy for you, any ideas about this one (sorry, no prizes just thanks).

grantway
    Free Member

Epping is hard to get your head around. A lot of people come away and say
    it is crap but you just have to keep looking for it, as there are no sign posts
    or start markers its all natural.

A lot of people start out around 10 ish from the tea hut opposite the pub.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Lost in Epping Forest’ is closed to new replies.