Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Lost confidence turning to my right, unbalanced issues?
  • tacopowell
    Free Member

So with buying our first house and getting married in the same month and a honeymoon/decorating have left me with three rides to my name in the last 2-3 months,
    after a ride around Cannock chase yesterday I noticed I have issues climbing switchbacks but only when turning to my right,
    It’s like the exposed left side of my body is lacking in complete confidence, I end up putting my feet down, could this be addressed with some sort of balance training? I guess some core strength training will help?

Anyone experienced this for themselves?

shermer75
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_EacLppMW0[/video]

schnullelieber
    Free Member

I thought this was going to be a political thread.

binners

Can you not plan your routes so that you only turn one way? It can’t be that hard. The Americans have managed to base an entire motorsports industry on it.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

…or just ride backwards around right hand turns.

Keva
    Free Member

practice on mini roundabouts?

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

I have always had issues with right turns both on an MTB and Skiing, I have issues traversing steep hillsides witha drop off to my left but not so bad when on my right. I am right handed and right footed. Confidence comes with practice, unless you have an actual balance issue; tests for which I am sure Dr Google could help you find.

binners

You could employ an on-board assistant

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i98QrSSHxo4[/video]

bigyinn
    Free Member

Sounds like you just need to get out there and ride more to build your confidence back up after having a break off the bike.
    Perhaps pick a right hand turn that you can session, building up speed as you become more confident?

MrOvershoot

I have a slight block on tight left turns both going up & down and get death grip with RH exposure.
    Berms are no problem either way but flat turns to the left sees me going round in a series of little turns that is neither fluid or safe!

binners

Perhaps pick a right hand turn that you can session, building up speed as you become more confident?

Or alternatively, adopt a more high risk strategy. Find a right turn hand with a massive cliff the other side of it, involving you plunging to certain death if you get it wrong?

pictonroad

We should meet up and swop trails, I’m the same turning left on steep slopes, I was the same learning to snowboard…

redted
    Free Member

Find a piece of open grassland in a park or somewhere, preferably one with a slight/reasonable slope. Take a length of rope/clothesline with you.
    Lay the rope out in a tightish curve to mimic a switchback, then try to follow the line as you take the corner, as you progress, you can tighten the curve and gradually build up confidence. As you are on grass, it wont matter if you come off your line, dab or even fall off but it is a good way of coaching yourself out of bad habits.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

It’s like the exposed left side of my body…

Exposed to what?

tacopowell
    Free Member

Sorry for the late reply, I’ve been going round in circles, found myself in Swindon at one point, when will this torment end?!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Lost confidence turning to my right, unbalanced issues?’ is closed to new replies.