Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Loose bottle cage bosses on a new frame….
  • mtbtomo
    Free Member

So on today’s ride, noticed my bottle cage was loose and turns out it wasn’t the bolts but the bosses themselves.

Had the bike less than a month so took it to the shop and they were able to tighten them back up, since they’re just rivetted in.

Now, it’s good to not have any faff with warranty claims or being without my bike, but should I be at all concerned? The guy clearly knew what he was doing and said bring it back if they go loose again.

Seems like a fairly routine piece of “maintenance” but not had this happen in 25 years of riding bikes and on a bike that’s done ~200 miles….

Thoughts???

chakaping
    Free Member

They probably just forgot to clamp them on properly in the factory. Check the cable guide rivets too.

Had a loose cable guide boss on a secondhand frame I bought this year, had to find a bike shop with the correct tool (Paul Hewitt) and they tightened it for me. All fine since.

akira

Doesnt happen that often but easy fix with the right tool, I wouldn’t give it another thought.

welshfarmer

Had mine loosen a couple of times. It is possible to tighten them yourself using a longish M6 nut and bolt, a couple of washers and a pair of spanners.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

As I say they did have the right tool so seems all good then 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

but easy fix with the right tool

Which you can make from a longish m5 bolt, 2 nuts and a washer.
    2 minute job to tighten them up, wouldn’t even bat an eyelid at it. 🙂

simondbarnes

Wouldn’t bother me in the slightest

timba
    Free Member

As I say they did have the right tool so seems all good then

You can use a QR skewer too (link)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Loose bottle cage bosses on a new frame….’ is closed to new replies.