Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 167 total)
  • Looks like PlanetX aint afraid of Mr Jones
  • scotroutes

You could say every non-iPhone touchscreen phone is a copy of the iPhone for instance.

You mean a copy of the IBM Simon?

I’m not just being facetious here. It’s a relevant point about IP and marketing/market forces.

brant
    Free Member

Yes I read tha Brant quote on the Alpkit thread. So, one can infer that he has become arrogant then?

🤔

epicyclo

I have cycling magazines going back to 1879.

I’m pretty sure that any shape bar, or suspension system for that matter, could be found. Especially pre 1900 when it seems just about all cycling innovations were actually invented.

And Brant arrogant? Never! 🙂

damascus
    Free Member

Planet x have always done different types of bars. Other companies have started copying Jones and making money from it. There are catalogues you can order from.

Planet x are offering an alternative at a different price point. People won’t buy Jones bars to try, they are too expensive but they might buy alpkit and planet x bars, find what they like then perhaps order Jones bars.

Jones bars appeal to different types of people as they are premium. Those same people, perhaps, wouldn’t entertain a planet x bar on their bike.

The market is a large one, plenty of space for everyone but you have to adapt or become obsolete.

With regards to the name, perhaps it’s in homage, rather than rubbing his nose in it? Or perhaps it wasn’t brant that decided on the name? Or perhaps he thought f-it! Why not.

In the grand scale of things, does it really matter?

cynic-al
    Free Member

You mean a copy of the IBM Simon?

I’m not just being facetious here. It’s a relevant point about IP and marketing/market forces.

You are actually making the same point as me, unless Apple bought the relevant IP from IBM?

scotroutes

Reinforcing it really.

mickmcd
    Free Member

what IP Jones think is actually being infringe

Ah the self entitled American expensive ip

miketually
    Free Member

Thanks for the comparison with the Mary bar above. I think a Geoff bar might well be added to my next build.

bonesetter
    Free Member

The best comment I’ve seen here in this entire thread is that this bar will get many more trying, and realising a great bar

They may just catch on

tablatom
    Free Member

Whats great about this bar is, the aero position.
    Stick some Ergon grips on, use them to rest the elbows, grab the loop, and its proper aero, and very good control, well ya hands aren’t on the brakes, but in the right circumstances…..

Rik
    Free Member

Brant – Most important question is when is the next pre-order open? Or when are the instock again?

montgomery
    Free Member

Thanks for the comparison with the Mary bar above.

Playing around a bit suggests that, if you’re coming from Mary bars, the lack of rise on the Geoff means you’re probably/possibly going to need a longer steerer or higher rise stem to get a similar position on the grips.

Poopscoop

Brant, any idea when next in stock?

Apologies if you’ve already said and I missed it!

Poopscoop

Bumpy 😊

dogthomson

Can anyone shed any light on the “wolves did it” reference?

brant
    Free Member

cogwomble
    Free Member

I ordered a set when they were showing as one in stock, then got an email saying they’ve sold out. Gutted.

Hopefully they’re back in soon as I quite like the idea of using them on one of my bikes.

brant
    Free Member

I ordered a set when they were showing as one in stock, then got an email saying they’ve sold out. Gutted.

Hopefully they’re back in soon as I quite like the idea of using them on one of my bikes.

More on order. Obviously Biff’s potential legal action may put a knife in that, but we’ll see what pans out.

miketually
    Free Member

Quite fancy a Geoff bar on a Bootzipper

brant
    Free Member
    cogwomble
    Free Member

I was about to update the thread, I see Brant got in first. New bars in, mine should be on the way to me now.

Debating which bike to stick them on now. Probably the Kona Unit. Going back to 27+ as the weather is getting nicer again so it’ll be in bits again.

BruiseWillies
    Free Member

I’ve only just seen that Bootzipper. I had been considering a Mk4 Stooge, but I’m having trouble getting the cash together. I know it’s nothing like the Stooge, but that does look nice. Any ideas on pricing?

brant
    Free Member

I hope we’d get the frame and fork out for £300ish.

jameso

Obviously Biff’s potential legal action may put a knife in that, but we’ll see what pans out.

That almost reads as if you think he really would : )

andy5390

Humpert Space Bugel is also being sold again.

25.4mm clamp size though, and 630mm wide

Space Bugel

restlessshawn
    Free Member

Any more news on ” Nitto Bar Project – Big Selection of bent and bull moose bars made by the worlds best tube benders and bar welders . ” because (whispers) I didn’t really like Jones bars…though for £25 I am tempted to buy a pair of these to work out what I didn’t like.

dai3015
    Free Member

Took the new “Geoff “ bars out for a quick spin this morning- I’m very impressed. Lots of nice alternative hand positions and a nice aeroie roadie position as well

brant
    Free Member

Great offers on your click through images too. That’s the rest of the weekend sorted.

montgomery
    Free Member

Ah, I was wondering if that was a reflection on Dai’s browsing history, or mine…

dai3015
    Free Member

Apologies for any dodgy links that were in the links. I used postimg but not very successfully apparently!

dahedd
    Free Member

I got my set just in time to head to Aviemore for a week with the family so got them fitted and ready to rock. After a week riding with them i’ve taken them off & gone back to my old On-One Knuckleball bars, I just couldn’t get on with them. I’ve a bust tendon in my shoulder and was hoping they might help but if anything it feels worse now. With a higher/longer stem I might try them again but for now its back to the old set. Im happy enough though as I only spent £25 vs well over £100 for a Jones pair.

brant
    Free Member
    restlessshawn
    Free Member

got rid of the “wolves did it”?

slimjim78
    Free Member

Great value bar for the Jones curious. I’ve quite enjoyed mine but haven’t grown to really love it, it feels like learning to ride everything so differently, and I haven’t felt as confident on fast bunny hops (more my bad technique than the bars fault though). In the end I’ve decided that more sweep is good so have settled on a 20deg sweep bar instead of 45.
    Happy I tried the Geoff out, and it may see use again in the future on another project..
    Unless anyone in Sussex fancies it for a discount.. 🙂

mrmoofo

Shame, slim Jim,,,, I would have had them…
    But bought new …

breadcrumb

What length stem are people using with the Geoff bar? I have a 60 currently and a 70 is the spares box-are these too short?

brant
    Free Member

I’ve got a 100 on mine!

montgomery
    Free Member

Depends on the rise and sweep of your current bars, shurely? After 12 years on Marys (with a 100mm stem on my current frame), I had to go for a higher rise stem of approximately the same length to get the right position with the Geoffs. After some tweaking I’m now really happy with them a couple of months down the road; the forward loop is a real boost on climbs or into headwinds, and I like the wide stance on the downhills.

breadcrumb

Currently flat bars with not much sweep. Getting savage pins and needles even after 20 minutes beach riding.

Might just try some high rise bars to start with then look at Geoff’s of that doesn’t work.

steezysix
    Free Member

Been using the Geoff bars for a couple of months now on my Longitude, replacing the OG bars that I’ve had the last couple of years. For me, the Geoff bars have worked really well, once I set them up as per the instructions on the Jones website. I’ve got them angled down by about 15° and have moved the brake/shifters inboard almost to the welds. Coupled with some nice thick foam grips (I just cut up some butterfly bar grips), the multiple hand positions mean I can ride for a full day without any hand or wrist for the first time ever. Definitely worth a try if you can’t get comfortable with flat bars!

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 167 total)

The topic ‘Looks like PlanetX aint afraid of Mr Jones’ is closed to new replies.