Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Looking for a new Hardtail – suggestions please
  • ljs1977
    Free Member

Hi

I am looking for a replacement for my Scott Scale 29er.

I love this bike for what it is but can not afford to keep it and buy another bike. It is fast! and a wicked bike to ride but not much “Fun” when things point down / jumps and drops (probably my skills too).

I am looking for something capable of muching the miles 30-40 XC and bomb round the trail centres now and then.

I have narrowed it down to the offerings from Stanton and Cotic.

Switch back – more trail – good, but worried it will not going to be great after 40 miles ?
    Sherpa – simular thoughts to the above and 1×10 worries me as my only bike.
    Soul / Solaris – not sure which and would have prefered not to have a QR rear end – but hey.

What have I missed or thoughts on the above?

Thanks

jekkyl

the 650b soul. Just checking availability it says all size frames available in April, is the Qr rear a deal breaker?
    what forks and wheels have you got? can afford?

frood
    Free Member

I know it’s not on your list, but have you considered the Titus Fireline? Light and comfy enough for all day epics, and slack enough with the 120mm fork to do the EWS on. I really love it.

faustus

Or save £600 and get a Parkwood with same geo as fireline, not that much heavier…

ljs1977
    Free Member

Jekyll not sure what forks to go for wanted pikes but only want 120-130mm.

I would like some pikes and cross max ideally

z1ppy

Sherpa – simular thoughts to the above and 1×10 worries me as my only bike.

Are you under the impression, it has no front mech mount? it does..Though for some reason the I picture on the site doesn’t look to have one, but the one hanging up in my lbs does

NormalMan

I am looking for something capable of muching the miles 30-40 XC and bomb round the trail centres now and then.

If you took the phrase ‘trail centres’ and replaced it with ‘local woods’ then that it is what I use my Solaris for. I reckon it is brilliant and after a lot of searching it does feel like the bike I was looking for.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Kona Explosif has a 142×12 back end.

FWIW, I had a Solaris, really, really liked it. I’ve now got a 650B Chromag Samurai. The Solaris was probably a better bike for a 40-miler, but it was not quite as comfortable dropping stuff or in switchbacks. Left entirely to my own preferences, I’d probably experiment with a 27.5 Soul if I was going with Cotic.

🙂

richellicott
    Free Member

I’ve recently built up a Salsa El Mariachi and love it. Billed as more of an all rounder all-dayer its still a lot of fun on descents. I’ve got mine as a rigid single speed so thats my excuse for not going faster! but it’s handled Llandegla black run just fine

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’d get the Sherpa (very nearly did in fact).

I’m a huge fan of Stanton bikes though. The two I’ve had have been great fun to ride…I also think they look lovely too.

blacknose
    Free Member

If you took the phrase ‘trail centres’ and replaced it with ‘local woods’ then that it is what I use my Solaris for. I reckon it is brilliant and after a lot of searching it does feel like the bike I was looking for.

Mine has no mount, but there is no reason you can’t stick a band-on front mech on it (and I have in the past). But I’ve also ridden round both Cwmcarn XC loops back to back (including a off-piste diversion up Twmbarlwm) with it 1×10 and not struggled. And that was without X1.

Honestly the Sherpa is ridiculously good, and if you want to ride XC with the odd trail centre you’d be hard pressed to find a better option.

jontykint
    Free Member

Long rides aren’t an issue with the Switchback
    I did the strathpuffer solo on one with 140mm RS Revs, 90-odd miles and then my ass gave up, nothing to do with the bike.

ljs1977
    Free Member

Sorry to resurrect this from 6 months ago but I never actually managed to break open the wallet.

The above is still an option but now thinking Crush / new 2016 P7 also.

Have I missed any worth considering.

Also I have just seen the 45650B with a really good spec for £1600!! that is good value, but cost is not the major influence.

jekkyl

you don’t make quick decisions eh? the Solaris of course, now with the option of wheel sizes which other frames don’t offer (debatable) That P7 does look very nice, almost identical as the soul/solaris and the solaris is available now.

whitestone
    Free Member

I’ve a Solaris and do everything from long ITTs (Yorkshire Dales 300 & Sandstone Way) to Alpine descents on it. Not a fan of trail centres but it has coped with those as well.

Personally I’d struggle to justify getting a FS bike as the Solaris is more than good enough for just about all the riding I do and is adequate if not ideal for the remainder.

danti

6 months on and I’d still suggest a Fireline/Parkwood, though from your comment above on budget then Fireline.

Previous owner of a Mk1 Solaris which was good but just like descending better on slacker Fireline.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Love my Whyte 901, brilliant trail bike and easily upgradable as the basic spec-brakes, frame, wheels are all really good.

keefmac

saw a cotic solaris at the london bike show earlier this year, they had it fitted with 650b wheels and big tyres. would this tick all the boxes? same frame and just two sets of wheels, 29er for mile munching and 650b for a bit more rowdy stuff?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Looking for a new Hardtail – suggestions please’ is closed to new replies.