Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Looking for 26 wheel hardtail frame suggestions for kids
  • ruffride
    Free Member

I’m looking to build my kids 26 inch wheel frames now as they ride some orange zest an seemed to be much better on them. I don’t want to spend 1k an they don’t sell frame only any one no of a good low frame so 13 inch ish. I like the Dartmoor hornet 26 but not available and I’ve looked for old 456 frames but no xs one cheers

BearBack
    Free Member

VPace Max 26 frame? 350eu.

matt_outandabout

Whats your budget? How tall is the kid?

ruffride
    Free Member

They will need 14 inch max frames an frame only don’t want to spend more that £180 I’d rather build my own up as have lots of parts

ruffride
    Free Member

Nice looking but more that I’d want to spend cheers

matt_outandabout

There are a couple of teeny bargains at the moment.
    eg
    https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2557145521184776/

MoreCashThanDash

Daughter has a xs Commencal Normal from c2009. Picked up from eBay in pretty poor condition, stripped and rebuilt with some lovely second hand parts from on here – Fox forks, XT wheels, 1×10, carbon post and bar. It’s about 10lb lighter, and she hardly ever rides it.

sharkattack

Charge Blender. Always a small selection for sale on ebay and pinkbike.

TomB

My lad has had 2 cube fames for about €75 each from bike discount, which have worked out well, a 13” and now a 15”

ruffride
    Free Member

Can’t see the cube frames on there

ruffride
    Free Member

Moorecash you selling

binners

Daughter number 2 has a 13″ Specialized Myka (purchased off the classifieds on here). As you can see, its an ideal frame for a kids build as it has loads of standover. Its now sporting a 1×10 drivechain, Mavic Crossmax wheels and lots of nice pink parts (very important) 😀

kayla1
    Free Member

I’ve got a cool little Giant STP here- 135×10 rear end, 30.9 seat tube, threaded BB and 44mm headtube so it’ll take tapered forks.

tomcrow99

I previously built my daughter a Cube Access WS frame from Bikediscount.de It was a XS 27.5 wheel frame but I ran it with 26 inch wheels and forks (100mm) and short cranks. It looked nice but in retrospect I should have put longer forks on to correct the geometry. It was also super short so she grew out of it very quickly (Frame and cranks with headset sat in garage if interested)
    I then picked up a proper 26″ Gary Fisher Wahoo in 15.5 (S) size for £75 from gumtree. Stripped it only leaving the cranks and built it up with the parts from the Cube (Fox F100, OK wheels and 1×10, clarks brakes) Its a lovely little bike now, it was quite progressive geometry for its time (2009?) with a HA of 67° ish with 100mm forks and v light.I think total build cost with a dropper was about £400 for a bike that weighs 11.5kg.

paladin

Got my lad a xs ragley bluepig. Fitted secondhand 100mm airforks and superstar wheels and it turned out all right.

Tried a cheapo ebay dropper post, but he was too light for it, so he’s got my HiLo dropper now.

ruffride
    Free Member

Yeh I’ve had a bluepig b4 can’t find any small

MoreCashThanDash

@ruffride – not selling the bike yet, but open to offers on stroppy teenager. In fact, can do “buy one get one free”

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

I’ve got my lad a Dartmoor Street fighter. Currently in build, will be his birthday present at start of march.

Looks nice and uses a load of good quality 26″ wheel stuff I had in garage doing nothing.

rossburton
    Free Member

My just-turned-11yo is on a Brand-X HT-01, size small. It’s a 650b frame but 26″ wheels obviously fit fine, and a stubby stem means he’s plenty of growing space. They were £100 on CRC when I got it.

poah
    Free Member

’ve got my lad a Dartmoor Street fighter. Currently in build, will be his birthday present at start of march.

got one of these on order. only cost me £150. building it into a single speed pump track bike.

happybiker
    Free Member

I’ve just got one of those Brand x frames from CRC, I think the smalls are currently out of stock though. Bagged some second hand Fox 32’s and will run some 26″ wheels. The wheels seem to be hardest part, can’t find any decent ones for less than £300, all in I think if you’re prepared to shop around this route will give you a better bike than something off the shelf, they are all either very expensive or compromised by rubbish forks and/or components.

ruffride
    Free Member

Yeh always built my own bikes an built the 24 inch Carrera blasts but want bigger wheels for better uphill and parts want to spec it well. I looked for CRC ones as saw them but no smalls anywhere. Poah where did you get the street fighter for £150 was looking at them as really wanted the hornet as it looks mint. Just the head angle on the street fighter was the put off an price £200 where I’ve seen them

senorj

I have a 2004 orange evo 4 in 14”. Frame is fine if a little beat up. Respray would fettle.
    Currently built up as my slop bike w’3x XT and some talas 90-110 forks which are very beaten up but importantly work.
    I’ve been thinking of getting shot if you’re interested.

isitafox
    Free Member

Literally on the same hunt for my 9yr old.
    13/14″ frames are like hens teeth when you want one!

MoreCashThanDash

I found just asking on here produced a whole range of good quality second hand wheels, tyres and forks, though maybe more people have cleared out their old 26″ parts by now. Her brothers Inbred got a revamp as well.

ruffride
    Free Member

Was shipping free @poah

Richie_B

Can’t see the cube frames on there

Thats because they are 27.5” frames. I’ve done exactly the same using an old pair of 26” forks and wheels. The only result is a fraction more stand over clearance and a fractionally longer wheelbase, both of which seem to make the bike marginally more forgiving. The only issue I had with this was getting the b-set on the rear derailleur right (not sure why but as the derailleur I used is getting on for twenty years old its likely that the standard changed somewhere down the line).

I’ve just looked the £99 Radon frames appear to be the same as the Cube ones they used to sell

poah
    Free Member

@ruffride no but I only paid £150 in total according to my bank statement.

The hornet 26 is basically the same as the older hornet 4X. You can get a NS bikes clash jr that takes 24/26 wheels.

isitafox
    Free Member

Dah smallest Radon frames they’ve got are 16″. Would have been perfect for me otherwise

rossburton
    Free Member

The wheels seem to be hardest part, can’t find any decent ones for less than £300

I kept a pair of Stans Crest 26″ rims in my garage for FOUR YEARS so my son could use them. 🙂 Must be plenty of people on here with old rims hanging around still.

I’m another one of the “kid’s bike was once a Carrera Blast” gang, and thanks to lots of wise purchases on here/eBay (M615 brakes, Zee drivechain) when moving up from the Blast to the HT-01 the only spendy bits were wheels and fork (all used parts).

bluebus
    Free Member

I have an On one Summer Season frame in florescent green 14 inch if you want it. Going to work now but will send you pics later if required.
    My boy grew out of it and then IV stripped it for bits for an old MTB/commuter/pub bike. It’s by no means perfect, got plenty of scratches and paint chips though.

ruffride
    Free Member

@rossburton that looks mint wish I’d see them when in stock can’t find a small now

TheGhost
    Free Member

I built up a Nukeproof Snap with a 100mm fork, 1X10, XT discs, Renthal and Hope, and a Fox Dropper. It was ace, and both my sons loved it until they grew to big. Now my nephew has it and it’s still going strong.

northernmatt

@bluebus if ruffride isn’t interested in that 456 frame let me know as I need a small frame for a frame transplant for the boy.

alexpalacefan

14″ Inbreds in the classifieds now.
    APF

happybiker
    Free Member

Looks good Rossburton, looking to do the same with mine. Seeing as we’re on the subject, if anyone does have some old lightweight 26″ wheels doing nothing please let me. Something like Crests or Arch’s.

faustus

https://www.actionsports.de/en/wheels/custom-wheels/mtb-disc-26/?p=1&o=3&n=40

I’ve looked here for 26inch wheels to keep my town inbred going, in a decent if not special build. Still fairly expensive but would last (less than 200euro for a set).

bluebus
    Free Member

@northernmatt no worries. Again, ill take some pics and can send them to you if you like.

northernmatt

Sounds good, I’ll PM you my email address

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Looking for 26 wheel hardtail frame suggestions for kids’ is closed to new replies.