Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • Longer leg mtb trouser options?
  • Tomahawk
    Free Member

Having discovered the benefits of full leg coverage I’m in the market for a set of new trail pants. I’ve got a pair of Altura Attack waterproof pants that are decent but a bit short… Anyone tall using anything that doesn’t hit mid calf when pedalling?! 😊

mattbee

I’ve got a pair of Endura ones that are nice and long, and a pair of Keela which are a bit thicker so better for colder weather, they are even longer.
    neither are too short for my 34” inside leg.

sharkattack

I love my Fox trousers. I was shorts for life until I got them. I can’t remember the model name and I think they’ve been replaced but whatever the new equivalent is I’d buy them again.

I bought cheapest most basic one and they’re almost weightless it’s like riding in silk pyjamas. They’re not waterproof at all but they dry fast and keep your legs clean. Night tight cuffs stop them from moving around.

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

both leatt and fox came up very short in my experiance…
    using endura currently at 6’5″ they are fine

Tomahawk
    Free Member

Hey man, thanks for that… I was considering endura Mt500 actually. Which are you using?

dyna-ti

I’ve spent years looking for something waterproof that wasnt designed for you to put on over ski boots. Tight to the leg just dont seem to exist.
    Its a horrible state of affairs when all of a sudden the flappy bottom of the trouser leg becomes an incorporated part of the chainring.

davosaurusrex

I have the Committed Equiment ones. I’m nearly 6’4″ with 36″ inseam and the XLs are perfect length wise although I’m lanky so the waist adjuster is done up as far as possible. Really slim fit which is ideal for me, another pair which are weightless although not at all waterproof and don’t stop all the stinging nettles penetrating either. Love them though, crashed pretty hard in them last week and was half expecting to have burst seams or ripped them but all good.

thejesmonddingo

It might be worth trying these, https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/am-trail-mtb-pants/_/R-p-309674?mc=8540537&c=GREY if you’ve got a store nearby, the leg lengths look generous,but better off trying them on.

Superficial
    Free Member

Tight to the leg just dont seem to exist.

They absolutely do exist. If you’ve spent “years” looking for them, you may have missed the current crop of MTB trousers which are pretty good. Riding in trousers is ace.

I’ve got the Endura MT500 ‘Spray’ ones, so not waterproof. They do a waterproof version I believe, which I’d guess would be cut similarly.

The only thing I found a bit odd was Endura’s sizing which seemed to be M/L for a skinny/fat 6-footer (the leg length didn’t seem to change). I kept the M.

FYI: For anyone that hasn’t spotted them, the Decathlon ones seem great for the money. EDIT: I was 3 seconds too slow for the Decathlon recommendation!)

jimmy748

Fox Flex air or Defend trousers.

jimmy

All trousers are too long in my experience!

After waiting for stock I’ve finally got a pair of the Madison DWR trousers but will be taking them to be altered, i.e. shortened and slightly tapered to compensate for shortening. Given up waiiting to find genuine short length trou.

fathomer

I’ve just got a pair of MT500’s and there the longest I’ve tried. 32″ leg and the smalls are a good length for me.

I found Fox really short, Nukeproof just long enough and Specialized Demo a decent length.

dyna-ti

(Montane gaiter)Thats a possibility. I’ll keep that in mind.

If you’ve spent “years” looking for them,

Well yes i have spent YEARS looking for them, thanks for the quotation marks buddy, I’ve been riding nearly 30 years and I dont have something suitable, and have been for many moons putting up with pretty much any waterproof i can find. Hence my post.
    I’m 6’3″ and leg length is 35/36″. The way it works seem to be with most makers, if im longer length, i must have a 50″ waist I’m a 36″(38″ after a years lockdown 😆 )

I’ve looked at full side zips, trousers you can only put on if you remove your shoes first, a whole host of possible options, though some that might have been adequate were outwith my price range

What i would design would be standard width(leg) waterproofs, with a series of velcro ‘tighteners’ going up the leg, say 4 or 5 , not a single flap but a series of, that i can use to pull the wide leg in tighter(Much like the velcro tightener you get at the bottom of the lg but a series of them going up the leg to tighten the whole thing rather than just the bottom).Easy to put on when the rain starts and easy to tighten up so they dont flap about and run the dangerous risk of suddenly getting caught up into the chain.
    I’ve even thought that i could sew on velcro strips on to the outer material of the leg, but that would probably compromise the waterproofing. I thought about gaiters, even walking full length gaiters, but that seems a bit too much last chance saloon type of thing and would look horrendous 😆
    So for years I’ve been resigned to use standard waterproofs and even resorted to elastic bands to pull the width in.

Admittedly this only becomes an issue when winter approaches and i drag out the waterproofs and think on what I now need with a sigh of resignation.

joepud
    Free Member

If you’re over 6ft I would suggest staying away from Fox. im like 6ft 3, Standing they sit around my ankle bone on bike obvs higher. Don’t really both me but if that does you I would suggest staying away.

Superficial
    Free Member

What I meant was if you’ve been looking for decades but perhaps haven’t checked the options that have come out in the last couple of years, you might have missed something that would suit you.

The current crop of MTB trousers are pretty skinny around the ankle – presumably designed to avoid getting caught in chainrings.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

stay away from fox and the decathlon grey/orange mtb pant as they are short.

3 years ago it seemed endura only did 36″ legs on size Large for the mt500/mt500 spray/singletrack trousers etc. they covered my entire foot, unless i had turnups.

the new endura burner pant / singltrack ii are a great fit (i’m 31-32″ leg), although M to L no different in leg, wouldnt say they are exceptionally long, probably a 32-34″,

in terms of fit, they are far slimmer than the endura’s of a few years ago.

b33k34

I’m 6’3″ and leg length is 35/36″. The way it works seem to be with most makers, if im longer length, i must have a 50″ waist I’m a 36″(38″ after a years lockdown 😆 )

Lucky you. I’m 35/36″ leg and 32″ waist.

Looking to have another go at getting a pair of https://filthyridesmtb.co.uk/ DH pants (they were having supply issues at the start of the year). A really good price for something that’s made to order and they’ll do any leg/waist combination you want.

b33k34

Leg lengths on those decathlon look really generous – are they accurate?

lightfighter762
    Free Member

50/01 ride pants? Plenty long and fitted. 6ft 2 and a medium is perfect with 35″ inseam.

doubleeagle
    Free Member

I have endura hummvee in size L. I’m 6 ft 4 and they fit surprisingly well, even on leg length.

ton

Keela roadrunners. simply the best cycling trousers ever. moreso if you are tall or fat, like me.

https://keelaoutdoors.com/product/roadrunner-trousers/

dc1988

Do any manufacturers offer different leg lengths for a given waist size (as per high street trousers)? Those Filthy Rides look like you can specify your measurements but then you could be stuck with some custom trousers that don’t fit but can’t be returned

benp1

I’ve been an advocate of the roadrunners for ages, they are probably the best in terms of bang for buck – they have some nice features like zips on pockets, leg vents and reflective details on the rear

Decathlon lengths are generally too short

I also have a problem with needing a 34 inch inside leg (33in is not long, as many sellers seem to misunderstand) and a medium waist.

Montane terras are OK but a bit flappy in bigger waist sizes to get a long enough leg length.

GolfChick
    Free Member

Stay away from nukeproof trousers, bought a pair for my 6ft 3 fella and defo too short.

dc1988

I looked at the roadrunners but they seem a bit too thick for my liking, even in the coldest conditions I won’t wear too many layers and I seem to easily get sweaty legs! I like the idea of total coverage to keep the mud off more than for warmth

endomick
    Free Member

Cyclestore have got Endura burner pants at a good price, the burner ll pants had generous length so I’m guessing the new version should too, I had to pre order mine last time but they arrived weeks earlier that stated on the website.

tall_martin

Hi,

I’m 6″4 with a 36″ waist.
    For years I’ve worn royal air force goretex trousers. Not perfect- the slip down a bit and could be longer. So my solutions are braces and gaiters under the trousers over Shimano waterproof boots.

On a peak District 5 hour winter slog I’ll be dry for 3h and mostly dry for the next two hours.

If it’s grim enough for gaiters

full length gaiters, but that seems a bit too much last chance saloon type of thing and would look horrendous 😆

No one will be able to see what you are wearing after about 30 seconds as you will be covered in mud 🙂

This winter I bought some fox defend fire trousers. They are too short so I have long waterproof socks under them. I’ve only doe shorter rides in this combo. It’s great, but after one winter I’ve had to re stich the water proof bum pannel.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

all the scandinavian brands are long, due to us often being taller (in general).

check out POC, norrona, haglöfs, majorna ad so on

intheborders
    Free Member

I’m also longer legged, and not fat – consequently wear medium shorts but need a 35/36 leg.

But, how are these trousers once you add decent sized (enduro) knee pads – do they have the volume at the knee/thigh/shin to cope without shortening the leg vastly?

Alex

I’ve just bought some Troy Lee ‘Sprints’ after reading lots of reviews. First pair of ‘proper’ MTB trousers. They apparently run a bit long which isn’t ideal as I’m long backed, short legged. We’ll see when they turn up. Worse case the better half is a dab hand with the sowing machine!

I really wanted a pair that get down to, or cover the cuff on my winter boots. Worse thing about riding in wet/cold is cold feet for me.

spaniardclimber
    Free Member

@Tomahawk Did you go for the classic Sprint or the Sprint Ultra? Did you consider the Skyline?

b33k34

@howsyourdad1
    all the scandinavian brands are long, due to us often being taller (in general).

check out POC, norrona, haglöfs, majorna ad so on

having just looked at all of their MTB ranges that doesn’t seem to be the case. 32” waist in all of their kit is a completely standard 32” leg.

jimmy

Alpkit have finally answered the call with Short, Regular and Long lengths.

Floe Trouser [Mens]

stcolin
    Free Member

Good timing. Just ordered some Endura Humvee Waterproof trousers, L. I have some old Singletrack trousers, maybe 10+ years old, and they are too short but an inch. I can wear them, but I always wanted them to be longer. I’m guessing sizing has changed in that time. I’m 6ft 1″ with a very long inside leg.

b33k34

@jimmy

thanks for that. the long will still likely be a bit short for me but tolerable on the bike with long socks and winter boots. A shame they show them in blue but only seem to allow you to pre-order in black….

GolfChick
    Free Member

Oooo will mention the alpkit option to my fella for when ambleside has stock to go and try them on, seem a fair price too.

johnjn2000

If you want top quality materials and an item that will last you years including a crash replacement policy then check out Dirtlj. Certainly not cheap but absolutely top notch. I struggle withm being too long in the leg so have to bunch them up so for you they will be great. The others to look at (can you tell I have spent time over this) are 7Mesh Thunder Pant which has an adjustable length, I have not seen a bad 7Mesh product yet. And finally one that actually makes bespoke to your measurements is Dirty Rides MTB, I can’t vouch for the quality of their product but they do seem to be the only ones doing the made to measure thing.

tomtomthepipersson
    Free Member

Got some Revolution Race strides recently – nice and long on me at 6ft 2 (they’re probably a couple of inches longer than I need). Well built too but a tad warm during recent rides (was about 12 degrees or so). Will be perfect for the winter.

b33k34

Revolution Race

How many different models? https://www.revolutionrace.co.uk/men/trousers 182 products !?!

I’ve ordered some Dirty Rides Kevlar and will report back.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Longer leg mtb trouser options?’ is closed to new replies.