Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Long term, one day a week car hire?
  • Pook

The return to work in a ‘hybrid’ model means that I may only be in the office 2 days a week. The way it’s working out with chaotic childcare plans and requirements is that I’d need a car just one of those days.

Is it possible to have a weekly, one day hire arrangement?

Bike and train and bike again are in the longer term plan.

jimw
    Free Member

Is there a local car club? you could see if their rules allowed you to have a regular booking

w00dster

A few years ago my old workplace introduced a policy of all business trips not on the train had to use a hire car. This meant that once a week I had to hire a car, it was an absolute ball ache.
    As I left early in the morning I had to collect the car the night before and leave work early to get to the hire company before they closed.
    Collecting it was always a faff. No way would I want to rely on doing this before work. They didn’t offer a drop of service but would collect me from my house.
    This wasn’t classed as long term rental even though it was pre-booked in advance for a few months.
    If you aren’t travelling that far I’d honestly just look at how much a taxi will be.

matt_outandabout

Lift share, car club, taxi, public transport before hiring imo.

BigJohn

Pook later…

“I had to buy this VW camper van. I asked everywhere and there really wasn’t another option”

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

For ~47 hires a year it would need to really cheep to beat owning an older car.

£300 insurance
    £150 tax
    £50 MOT

Tyres etc are going to perish at that usage level before they wear out.

Even booking long in advance it’ll be £30-£40 /day Vs the £10/week owning a car would cost you.

That or find a lift share that’s doing the same route.

Dickyboy

It’s certainly possible but I can’t imagine anywhere would do it cheaper than the normal day hire cost. If it really is chaotic, then taxi might be your better option – find a regular one with disabled access so you could take your bike with you & just do one way? Taxi is more likely to be amenable to regular 1 day per week discount too.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Taxi is more likely to be amenable to regular 1 day per week discount too.

IME no, their fares are set by the council.

hooli

Depending where you live and how far you need to travel, how about zipcar or similar?

Cougar

Sounds like you’ve just described a taxi. Either that or bangernomics as TINAS said.

Do you have to go in, is it a requirement of your job?

Dickyboy

IME no, their fares are set by the council.

Okay, private hire rather than taxi 🙄

FuzzyWuzzy

Just arrange loads of 24 hour test drives with different car manufacturers :p

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Long term, one day a week car hire?’ is closed to new replies.