Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • long shot… Shimano BL-M665 lever
  • alpin
    Free Member

My BiL tried and failed to bleed the brakes on a bike i gave him a few years back.

Well, technically, he did bleed them, but lost the tiny screw holding down the res cap so decided to try and wind a.n.other screw into the hole. Unfortunately it was a wood screw and surprisingly it doesn’t fit and the cap now leaks.

Does anyone have a left-hand lever lying around that they’re willing to sell?

basically one of these…

null

PJay
    Free Member

No idea about the lever, but if the threads are intact and the lever itself not damaged SJS have a replacement cap and bolts (luckily only for the left hand side).

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/brake-levers/shimano-slx-blm665-top-cam-cover-fixing-screw-left-m3-x-5mm-y8uk98030/

matt_outandabout

Clarks M2 lever and caliper are usually £20…
    I think any Shimano lever will fit.

alpin
    Free Member

it’s not that cap, but the reservoir cap bolt, but thanks.

i was wondering if just buying a new set would be easier, but mis-matched kit hurts my head and buying new for the sake of it (on a bike that gets used maybe a dozen times a year) doesn’t sit well with me.

thols2

I would try to find a small screw with the same thread, then filling the hole with epoxy, and redrilling and tapping it. It’s not under a lot of stress, it only has to clamp the cap down enough to seal it.

alpin
    Free Member

good idea…. although technically it then doesn’t have to be the same sized screw…

thols2

good idea…. although technically it then doesn’t have to be the same sized screw…

Yes, but just in case somebody gets them mixed up and tries to fit it to the other lever.

susepic

I’ve got a couple of similar looking XT levers in the shed, I can have a look, but might be a couple of days as not home at the moment……

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.