Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • London is Dead
  • SaxonRider

I’m in London this whole weekend for work, staying in Mayfair, and I have never been on Oxford Street before when it wasn’t heaving.

I thought England was way ahead of Wales when it came to being open! And I thought that today was the big ‘opening day’ for shops and pubs and stuff.

I realise that Mayfair isn’t exactly pub and restaurant heaven, but I would have thought that more was happening here. Alas, no. Hardly a soul.

The tumbleweeds are doing well, though.
    🙁

ajantom

Good, it seems that a lot of people are still taking CVD-19 seriously, even if the govt aren’t!

Drac

Meanwhile 8.30am at Newcastle’s posh end.

dyna-ti

Glasgow city center is much the same. Just the foreign gentlemen standing singly with a phone glued to one ear.

Drac

Just the foreign gentlemen standing singly with a phone glued to one ear.

That’s the English for you.

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

No-one much lives in central London, most office workers are still working from home, and there aren’t any tourists. Most people are also avoiding public transport, so aren’t heading into the centre. If you head to a more residential area you’ll likely find it much busier.

MoreCashThanDash

Relatively calm in our hard working, hard drinking former iron and coal town.

Several pubs not opening till Monday, a lot of people being cautious. It might not be the complete disaster it seemed likely to be.

Probably worth keeping a sense of perspective when the media focuses on the (hopefully) few exceptions later tonight.

slowoldman

Be fair. Those folks in Newcastle haven’t had a proper breakfast for months.

Drac

So sad but true Slowoldman.

tjmoore

molgrips
    Free Member

staying in Mayfair

Hotel on Mayfair? Ouch.

sharkattack

Sheffield is quiet but the two Wetherspoons which are almost right opposite each other are packed with people queueing up to get in. This was about two hours ago.

Sandwich

Hotel on Mayfair?

Only if he’s got Park Lane too and has all ready built 4 houses on it!

codybrennan
    Free Member

Can that really be Newcastle? Some of those chaps are wearing coats and jackets?

Dickyboy

Yeah, been in and out of London a few times for work, the central congestion zone is indeed a bit of a ghost town most populous are the construction workers enjoying the relative freedom of getting work done without the hassle 👍

stumpyjon

City is often empty at a weekend, did a ghost tour a few years ago, all the better for the streets being nearly deserted.

piha
    Free Member

I was in Dulwich village yesterday and it was positively buzzing, although it was warm and sunny compared with todays wintery conditions!

breadcrumb

I was through on the big city (Carlisle) last week and popped into town to return something to Debenhams, lucky to have spotted 10 other customers on the three floors I visited.

Certainly the quietest I’ve seen Carlisle in July.

Looks like the high street is fairly doomed.

stumpyjon

Meanwhile Stockport Ikea was an hour queue to get in when they opened (I guess as we left after 5 minutes).

Harry_the_Spider

At 10:30 am there were a few drinking in the rain outside The White Horse in Prestwich.

Dying for a pint eh?

Drac

Can that really be Newcastle? Some of those chaps are wearing coats and jackets?

Probably not local but must be brave to go in the Black Garter if they’re not.

Bregante

Meanwhile Stockport Ikea was an hour queue to get in when they opened (I guess as we left after 5 minutes).

Since when has there been an Ikea in Stockport?

notmyrealname
    Free Member

I was through on the big city (Carlisle) last week and popped into town to return something to Debenhams, lucky to have spotted 10 other customers on the three floors I visited.

Certainly the quietest I’ve seen Carlisle in July.

That may be the case now but I’ll imagine Botchergate will be like a war zone by chucking out time today!

molgrips
    Free Member

Nah. People will be desperate to get back to normal and do the things they like doing as soon as they can. This includes hanging about in town drinking coffee and buying stuff.

molgrips
    Free Member

Oh and @SaxonRider – were you actually allowed to travel to London yet? 🙂

kimbers

I’ve been back on work this last week

Commuting from MK to London

Trains are at maybe 5% of usual capacity

Not everyone wearing masks on trains tho 🙄

London itself busier than week before lockdown but still very quiet, I cycle for 5 miles to work, its infinitely more pleasant

Work itself we have to do shifts, so im in 2.5 days a week 1x 12-4 & 2x 12-830pm

We have to have a beacon on us so they can check we are social distancing & not putting room limits above capacity

No lunch rooms, one way system everywhere, no comfy seats in the lobby

Labs only, no offices

A few social gatherings outside pubs

Drive through Dunstable today
    Pubs rammed

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘London is Dead’ is closed to new replies.