Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Locking down a PC (Windows 10 Home edition) for house sitters
  • markgraylish
    Free Member

I want to lock down my PC as much as possible as we have someone house-sitting for us for a couple of weeks. This PC is connected to our TV so is the only way of watching “content”.

I’ve created a generic guest account but when I log in as the guest account, all my installed programs are listed. I can’t even delete the shortcuts off the desktop. Granted, I don’t think any sensitive info is exposed but I’d rather the couldn’t do anything other than browse/watch Netflix. Is there anyway of disabling/hiding these programs?

(Ive secured the admin account and I’ll sign-out of that account at handover time).

I’ve created a separate Netflix account for them so my feed doesn’t get polluted with any crap they watch and I’ve locked down my own account (so they can’t see the shit I’ve been watching 😉) but I see that guest accounts can still change Netflix account settings 🤷‍♂️.
    I’ll leave the Netflix account signed in for the Guest account but it’s got a generic password that I don’t mind them using (and I’ll change it when I get back home).

They’ll have the password for the wifi in case theyd rather use their own devices.

Anything else I should/shouldn’t be doing??

Tallpaul
    Free Member

Just buy whatever is the cheapest smart tv usb stick and use that instead. Roku/Amazon/NowTV etc.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Why?

They’re on a guest account, you’ve done your bit. Or do you have some hentai rather, niche, games you don’t want them playing?

garage-dweller

Tallpaul +1 would be my answer.

Also most people (and I would guess anyone house sitting) will likely have and bring a laptop, tablet and/or smart phone from which they can cast on their own account. Or is your TV that old that it’s not wifi enabled? There can’t be many made in the last decade that are not. If it were me I’d have a look at guest accounts/passkeys on the router as well.

avdave2

Just buy whatever is the cheapest smart tv usb stick and use that instead. Roku/Amazon/NowTV etc.

This.

markgraylish
    Free Member

Or is your TV that old that it’s not wifi enabled? There can’t be many made in the last decade that are not

Yep, it’s about 12 years old (720p resolution 😂😂) so really just a dumb monitor with HDMI input…

No USB input either…

(A new TV is on the to-do list but I’ve got other financial priorities at the moment!)

sharkbait
    Free Member

Cheap Fire stick is all you need.
    It may also change the way you watch TV!!
    All it needs is an HDMI input, no need for Wi-Fi or USB.

(Running a PC just so that you can watch TV is fairly bonkers)

stumpy01

They’ll have the password for the wifi in case theyd rather use their own devices.

Not related to the TV aspect of this, but does your router have the capability of setting up a guest network? I’d be looking to do this if possible, rather than give them your main wi-fi password.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I’d be looking to do this if possible, rather than give them your main wi-fi password.

Unless he’s got a network drive full of p*** a guest account is a little pointless.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

So you’ll give them keys to your house, valuables will be there, expensive furniture, probably expensive bikes a set of car keys and car etc and you’re worried about them using your computer?

Have you got silly things like auto login for your bank and PayPal setup?

the-muffin-man

Do you know these people?

No way would I let random people take over my house, I’d rather take the slim risk of being burgled.

The amount of these posts you see on FB is remarkable – ‘house-sitter needed for xxx weeks’. Yeah, because Facebook is full of trustworthy people! 🙂

nuke

No USB input either…

The sticks need a hdmi port (which you say your tv has) and USB port for power. If you’ve no usb on your tv, just use a usb phone charger with cable instead. We often take our now tv stick on holiday and use our phone charger plugs to power it. Don’t need a now tv account either

sharkbait
    Free Member

If you’ve no usb on your tv, just use a usb phone charger with cable instead.

Both of which are supplied with the fire stick/Chromecast/etc.

In fact they prefer you to use the supplied ones as TV USB ports may not supply quite enough juice.

markgraylish
    Free Member

So you’ll give them keys to your house, valuables will be there, expensive furniture, probably expensive bikes a set of car keys and car etc and you’re worried about them using your computer?

Do you know these people?

No way would I let random people take over my house, I’d rather take the slim risk of being burgled.

The amount of these posts you see on FB is remarkable – ‘house-sitter needed for xxx weeks’. Yeah, because Facebook is full of trustworthy people! 🙂

Lol, give me a bit of credit man!

Yes, I know these people enough to trust them looking after my dog! All “valuables” (lol!) and my expensive bikes aren’t stored in the house and are secured elsewhere. The car will be in a random spot at the airport car park so good luck finding it even if they had access to the spare car key 😉

I’m not the really worried about them using my computer but I don’t want to come home to find ransom ware or viruses have accidentally been installed.
    The guest account I’ve created does not have admin permissions – and just like to know whether that is sufficient…

Have you got silly things like auto login for your bank and PayPal setup?

That was a concern as on the main account, the browser remembers the passwords for a lot of websites but not financial stuff nor our email accounts. So, I’m assuming guest account won’t be able to access those browser settings…

mjsmke

Just take the PC away. Or replace the hard drive with an old one.

alexandersmith

Just take the PC away. Or replace the hard drive with an old one.

This is the correct answer.
    Remove the hard disk and lock it in a safe.

jbproductions
    Free Member

Firestick and hide pc.

susepic

What security settings does your router provide?
    Settings on mine allow it to prevent new devices on the router contaminating other devices on the router with malware, prevents access to sites that might be reservoirs of malware etc

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.