Home Forums Bike Forum Lock down, can i ride my bike in the countryside?

• This topic has 2,120 replies, 407 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by nickjb.
Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 2,121 total)
  • Lock down, can i ride my bike in the countryside?
  • Andy

@thisisnotaspoon

Ironically the cycling club has canceled all club runs/event for the foreseeable.

IS that Wokingham CC? What have they actually said please? Wonder if my local MTB club will do the same.

13thfloormonk

It doesn’t cause a runny nose so you’re safe.

No, but you could have it, and also have a runny nose? Plus, riding in general seems to loosen up the contents of my sinuses, so I’m not sure there is a link between having a cold/virus and enjoying a good farmer’s blow?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

IS that Wokingham CC?

Reading.

No club runs, time trials and RBC have closed leisure centers so no track sessions either.

No, but you could have it, and also have a runny nose? Plus, riding in general seems to loosen up the contents of my sinuses, so I’m not sure there is a link between having a cold/virus and enjoying a good farmer’s blow?

It was a joke, I’d advise social isolation whilst firing off a snot rocket even at the best of times!

teamslug
    Free Member

I’m surprised I haven’t had anything from Dyfi Events about the Dyfi Enduro. Just had notice that the Mach Comedy Festival has been cancelled. I realise they are on different weekends this year but only a week apart. I will be gutted but surely they will have to cancel?

epicyclo

If you think cycling is a dangerous activity, perhaps you should consider giving it up or taking a course on not being a plastic hero or an effwit.

reluctantjumper

That aligns with my thinking in cycling right now: avoid being in a group but still ride if you’re symptom-free as it’s good for your immune system and mental health.

thepurist

That aligns with my thinking in cycling ALL THE TIME: avoid being in a group but still ride if you’re symptom-free as it’s good for your immune system and mental health.

FTFY 🙂

IdleJon

If you think cycling is a dangerous activity, perhaps you should consider giving it up or taking a course on not being a plastic hero or an effwit.

While I agree with your general meaning, I’ve got a few things to add to that.

If I head off for a ride later, I’m very unlikely to need medical attention. BUT, every so often I do. Last time was a dislocated shoulder, a couple of years back. And there is always at least one member of my riding group who is injured at any time. That’s sort of a consequence of where we live, and how much we all ride. (And how many regular riders we have.)

So, we’ll all take it easy. Yes, of course we will. Honest! Because men are like that. We all gather at the top of the easiest descent we can find and potter down it. Carefully. 😀

(On a serious note – I’ve hurt myself more often when I’ve not been concentrating. I concentrate when I’m riding tricky stuff. I often hurt myself on the easy stuff before I get to the tricky stuff. I should concentrate more!)

thepurist

Some info from RoSPA

More accidents happen at home than anywhere else
    Every year there are approximately 6,000 deaths as the result of a home accident
    More than two million children under the age of 15 experience accidents in and around the home every year, for which they are taken to accident and emergency units
    Children under the age of five and people over 65 (particularly those over 75) are most likely to have an accident at home
    Over 76,000 children under the age of 14 are admitted for treatment of which over 40% are under 5 years of age
    Falls are the most common accidents, which can cause serious injury at any time of life. The risk increases with age
    More women than men over the age of 65 die as the result of an accident in the home
    Every year over 62 children under 14 die as a result of an accident in the home
    Around 25,000 under-fives attend A&E departments each year after being accidentally poisoned
    An average of 13 children a day under the age of 4 suffer a severe injury from a burn or a scald. A hot drink can still scald a small child up to 15 minutes after it is made
    More accidents happen in the lounge/living room than anywhere else in the home.
    Every year more than 4,200 children are involved in falls on the stairs and 4,000 children under the age of 15 are injured falling from windows
    Boys have more accidents than girls
    The cost to society of UK home accident injuries has been estimated at £45.63billion (£45,630million) annually.

So staying at home is pretty damn risky. Stuff that, I’m off for a ride.

MoreCashThanDash

Cycle club has cancelled all club rides on BC advice.

But reminded everyone that there is nothing to stop you riding on your own, with appropriate hygiene and distancing precautions if you stop for refreshments, in accordance with current government guidelines.

hardtailonly

Some info from RoSPA

More accidents happen at home than anywhere else
    Every year there are approximately 6,000 deaths as the result of a home accident
    More than two million children under the age of 15 experience accidents in and around the home every year, for which they are taken to accident and emergency units
    Children under the age of five and people over 65 (particularly those over 75) are most likely to have an accident at home
    Over 76,000 children under the age of 14 are admitted for treatment of which over 40% are under 5 years of age
    Falls are the most common accidents, which can cause serious injury at any time of life. The risk increases with age
    More women than men over the age of 65 die as the result of an accident in the home
    Every year over 62 children under 14 die as a result of an accident in the home
    Around 25,000 under-fives attend A&E departments each year after being accidentally poisoned
    An average of 13 children a day under the age of 4 suffer a severe injury from a burn or a scald. A hot drink can still scald a small child up to 15 minutes after it is made
    More accidents happen in the lounge/living room than anywhere else in the home.
    Every year more than 4,200 children are involved in falls on the stairs and 4,000 children under the age of 15 are injured falling from windows
    Boys have more accidents than girls
    The cost to society of UK home accident injuries has been estimated at £45.63billion (£45,630million) annually.

So staying at home is pretty damn risky. Stuff that, I’m off for a ride

Does give some perspective, doesn’t it …

daern
    Free Member

But reminded everyone that there is nothing to stop you riding on your own, with appropriate hygiene and distancing precautions if you stop for refreshments, in accordance with current government guidelines.

Today, maybe. What about tomorrow…?

IdleJon

Does give some perspective, doesn’t it …

as does the fact that we have a couple of thousand people dying in motoring incidents per year in the UK but nobody really cares. Imagine if the media took as much interest in that figure as they are in this virus..

rone

Imagine if the media took as much interest in that figure as they are in this virus..

This is a very good general point. And we accept and normalise it.

It’s terrible really.

Bez

The people who spend by far the most time in the home are the most likely to have an accident in the home? Well bugger me with a fish fork.

IdleJon

Well bugger me with a fish fork.

I can’t find that in the RoSPA lists – how common is it?

tewit
    Free Member

I’m surprised I haven’t had anything from Dyfi Events about the Dyfi Enduro.

Same here. Keep looking on their website for any update. Bloody hope it doesn’t get cancelled.

craig5

Boltby Bash, hasn’t been cancelled yet! I expect all large gathering are waiting on government instructions before cancelling anything for insurance reasons.

chakaping

The people who spend by far the most time in the home are the most likely to have an accident in the home? Well bugger me with a fish fork.

Are you implying that’s the only reason?

pennine
    Free Member

Craig5: big debate on this atm
    The Association of British Insurers said standard policies did not include forced closure by the authorities.
    So, for most businesses, they would not have been entitled to compensation, even if the government had ordered them to close.

Bunnyhop

Well thack me over my helmet clad head.

This morning I went out for an mtb ride. On my own, fully armoured up.
    Before the ride I was feeling completely anxious (no work, worries about elderly relatives etc). After I felt rejuvenated and happier.

The ride was mostly canal, a flat bridleway, an easy descent, 3 stops for talking to people I knew (all were standing at least 2 metres away). Then a climb homeward.

The fresh air, a bit of warmth, deserted trails, only 2 vehicles on a road stretch and just chatting to others enjoying the outdoors was worth it.
    I’ll carry on riding until it’s banned.

b33k34

The Spanish approach seems overkill to me. Staying fit, healthy, sane and reducing stress seems all the more important at the moment. Obviously this isn’t going to be the summer to learn to jump but ride sensibly and it’s got to be a positive. If I”m working from home I’m going to be doing my ‘fake commute’ most days.

If we are really worried about load on the health service we would be lowering all speed limits and increasing penalties for breaking them.

Anyway –

DONT!

flipperboy
    Free Member

I am a teacher and at the moment I am in a relatively small building with 1200 snotty kids. But when I get home I have to stay in and not have a gentle ride in the woods? This doesn’t make much sense to me. I have to drive home on a motorway which is still busy so I could easily have an accident. It’s still pretty much business as usual here we P.E. lessons and team sports going on. I have had 4 classes today with upto 35 students in each class and lunch in a communal diner. What is really more risky?

Bez

Are you implying that’s the only reason?

Of course not; it’s just that these sorts of factoid-fests are nearly always a matter of “make whatever statements we can from the numbers we’ve got” more than they are a useful and diligent analysis.

flipperboy
    Free Member

I am a teacher and at the moment I am in a relatively small building with 1200 snotty kids. But when I get home I have to stay in and not have a gentle ride in the woods? This doesn’t make much sense to me. I have to drive home on a motorway which is still busy so I could easily have an accident. It’s still pretty much business as usual here we P.E. lessons and team sports going on. I have had 4 classes today with upto 35 students in each class and lunch in a communal diner. Which of these activities in my life is really the most risky?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Decided to have one ‘last ride’ with biking buddy last night, really just to catch up in an unconfined space. Tried to access an old track that I know, just to get away from town. Noticed someone has erected a big metal fence adjoining to the access so it was a squeeze to ride through.

Went through but slowly stopped dead in my tracks with a searing pain in left arm. Massive carriage-bolt caught me by the arm, removing the skin in a perfect shape of the thread diameter. Bah. Anything can be dangerous, even pootling.

Back to the ride. Decided of course against stopping by a pub for customary pint on the way home. Instead grabbed 2 x bottle of beers, climbed back up to Town then occupied a big old bus shelter on the Hills. Sat looking down at the twinkly lights below, sipping our last beer and ride together for who knows how long. We said cheers and remembered better times. Gave a toast to memory of a homeless man named Remigiusz, who died in this spot not long back. Then farewells and took off to our respective homes

Be careful and try keep out of ER, wherever you are. I doused and dressed the wound myself. Not neat but hopefully will do the trick. It’s made me more mindful, I hope. Turbotrainer time.

Jordan

Bez

By the same token, the people who spend by far the most time outside are the most likely to have an accident outside…. I don’t have a fish fork.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Ooops, too many arms. Soz

kcr
    Free Member

If we do enter lock down, and we are asked not to cycle…for the greater perceived good

In what way, specifically, do you think that stopping individual people from cycling would help to mitigate the current crisis?

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

In what way, specifically, do you think that stopping individual people from cycling would help to mitigate the current crisis?

The same way preventing an individual person getting ill with corona and ending up in ICU is mitigating the current crisis I guess.

1 person is easy. You won’t be the only person.

nickjb
    Free Member

I’m surprised I haven’t had anything from Dyfi Events about the Dyfi Enduro.

Same here. Keep looking on their website for any update. Bloody hope it doesn’t get cancelled.

I’d be surprised if it didn’t get cancelled. The Mach Comedy Festival has just been cancelled

mogrim

Because it won’t just be one person, and you allow one person to ride on the public road out to a trail, what’s to stop him or her meeting up with their mates once they’re out of sight? Goodbye social distancing. And if you allow riding with (pinky promise!) no social contact, why not running? Or hiking? Or perhaps a late-night stroll round the block?

Stuck here at home in Spain I can’t help but feel this thread is really bringing out the selfish and pathetic – “my mental health will suffer!” “I’ll go stir crazy”. It’s a fortnight, FFS, not a life sentence in Wormwood Scrubs.

ajantom

Because it won’t just be one person, and you allow one person to ride on the public road out to a trail, what’s to stop him or her meeting up with their mates once they’re out of sight? Goodbye social distancing. And if you allow riding with (pinky promise!) no social contact, why not running? Or hiking? Or perhaps a late-night stroll round the block?

There’s a world of difference between a couple of MTBers cycling in the woods, or some trail runners, or hikers, compared to a pub full off footy fans.

Social isolation shouldn’t mean not being allowed out if the house at all. Just keeping a distance, and that’s totally possible on a bike, or walk, or run.

jimdubleyou

It’s a fortnight, FFS,

I have a feeling that’s a somewhat optimistic outlook.

Just got back from a ride and there’s plenty of 70+ year olds out walking their dogs.

whitestone
    Free Member

I have a feeling that’s a somewhat optimistic outlook.

I think he’s referring to the period of self-isolation should your or one of your family display any of the signs. The epidemic is likely to last much, much longer.

kcr
    Free Member

The same way preventing an individual person getting ill with corona and ending up in ICU is mitigating the current crisis I guess.

The added risk of people continuing to do sensible, socially distanced exercise will be very small, balanced against the negative consequences of trying to lock people in their houses for months. As I said before, the NHS was seriously stretched pre virus. Anyone who really believes cycling is that risky should already be avoiding it.

The simple answer is that you sanction anyone who is caught breaking the rules. I don’t see any problem with solo running or a late night stroll round the block. What do you think is going to happen?

It feels like some people are inventing a problem that doesn’t really exist here. I can’t see why people shouldn’t continue to exercise while observing social distancing. If you are really committed to doing this properly for the long term, you need a sensible, sustainable approach. Preventing safe, responsible recreational exercise won’t help.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I see no rationality in those saying folk shouldn’t even go on solo bike rides.

Seems similar to bogroll hoarding or getting the sanitizer out every 5m, when hand washing is proven to be better.

Have a word/get a grip/insert other 3 word trope here.

montgomery
    Free Member

It’s interesting stuff. Do you tank your economy and precipitate a global depression to try and protect a small percentage of people (the elderly, and the chronically ill, many of the latter as a result of poor lifestyle choices) who will probably die soon anyway? That’s putting it bluntly, but, hey. Or do you isolate the vulnerable while you allow the majority to go about life as (relatively) normal, catching the virus, suffering a mild illness, building herd immunity, maintaining an economy that can support the health services? Tough decision, glad I don’t have to make it.

But as a fit person in my early 50s, you’ll have to pry my cold, dead hands off the bars of my bike to stop me going for a solo ride in the countryside. I’m not stopping that to add a few years of life to some obese **** up smoker, sorry.

Talked to my 78 year old London-based dad yesterday. He’s pretty philosophical about it – he’s had a good run, if he gets it, hey.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 2,121 total)

The topic ‘Lock down, can i ride my bike in the countryside?’ is closed to new replies.