• This topic has 2,120 replies, 407 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by nickjb.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 2,121 total)
  • Lock down, can i ride my bike in the countryside?
  • crazy-legs

I’ve looked back at my Strava for the last couple of years where I’ve been in Spain about this time for a week of early season mileage, usually getting around 750 miles in.

Bloody glad I’m not out there now just lying on a balcony and being unable to go anywhere!

FOG

I was just about to pull the trigger on a new frame from a small company but am now wondering whether it’s a good idea. Not sure I will be allowed to ride – I am in the pariah age group and may be seized by the geriatric squad. On the other hand building it up will give me something to do if I can’t get out!

welshfarmer

Can I ride in the countryside?

Just so long as you take a good supply of IPA and wipe down every gate latch you open, or stile that you cross. Would hate to think there may be a farmer out there unable to look after their stock because someone had brought in the virus with them from the towns and left it somewhere that the land user might inadvertently come into contact with it….

Not saying it will happen. Just that it might.

Anyway, I start lambing in 2 weeks time and that is effectively 6 weeks of forced self isolation

hutchweb

Thanks Welshfarmer, another point I hadn’t considered. Thanks for all the views guys. Shit times and I hope I can continue getting out on the bike cos it makes me feel better. I have agreed with the governments advice so far and plan to continue following them. They have tried to take peoples state of mind into account in their planning and everyone knows getting out does you good so long may it continue.

winston
    Free Member

I genuinely can’t see how cycling solo or with those you already have contact, in the countryside/country roads will undermine any efforts to contain the virus. The same goes for walking and running.

Wear gloves, don’t go near anyone else and don’t stop at a cafe or pub (god I feel for those in the hospitality industry).

I see less people in 50 miles of  offroad cycling than in 50 seconds in a shop and I’m further away by a some 10ft.

As for the land user – I’d suggest they are far more likely to catch the virus going to a petrol station than touching a style I may have crossed.

Bez

Just so long as you take a good supply of IPA and wipe down every gate latch you open, or stile that you cross.

I’ve got three cans of it left in the fridge but I’m not wasting it pouring it all over rural fencing, thank you very much 🙂

crimsondynamo
    Free Member

Why do the Spanish consider going for a run with your dog to be “taking the piss”?

welshfarmer

My post was meant a little tongue in cheek…

But it is worth pointing out that there is almost always something we haven’t thought of in the world of unintended consequences. All I can say is all anyone can say really, and that is to just be sensible, and try not to be too selfish.

BadlyWiredDog

Bloody glad I’m not out there now just lying on a balcony and being unable to go anywhere!

Advice if you’re self-isolating on a balcony is to use a bucket. HTH

reluctantjumper

@ kittyr:

Oh god this constant talk of ‘mental health’ – not riding a bike for 2-4 weeks is not going to kill you. You might be grumpy but you aren’t going to top yourself.

You couldn’t be more wrong if you tried. For some people not getting that vital bit of exercise and escapism from normal life can literally be the difference between living or ‘topping’ themselves. I’ll give you one example: Me. If I don’t get some sort of decent exercise every other day, whether that’s bikes or a gym session, I get very anxious and the dark thoughts start to come to the forefront of my mind. If I don’t get out in green spaces at least once every few days the same thing happens. Riding my mountain bikes ticks both boxes. It’s also one of the reasons I cycle commute as much as I can. If I don’t get out after a week I’m in a very bad place. There are lots and lots of other people in similar and worse situations than me, some of them are on here. The OP has posted a valid question and it should be discussed on here, a biking forum that has a wealth of knowledge from people in healthcare, farming, outdoor pursuits and other valuable sources. The key to more people coming out of this in one piece is finding ways we can all live as normally as is practicable whilst being safe for others and leisure activities are a big part of that. I will take precautions when I’m out on my bike, exactly the same as if I was going to the supermarket etc, by wearing gloves, using tissues and avoiding directly touching gates like welshfarmer suggests. I will choose my routes accordingly to reduce any risks of me crashing or being in crowds as much as I practically can but at the end of the day I need to keep my mental health in check.

I don’t want to discuss this as it will derail the thread but may I suggest you really think next time before you post up about something that can be very important to some people.

chickenman

Spain; I bet that this is the most fun the Guardia Civil have had since Franco died.
    Going round the supermarket this afternoon it was obvious that whilst folk kept their distance from each other, no one was remotely worried about touching trollies and PIN card readers that hundreds of others had touched. I think walking about in public is far, far less risky than getting your food (whether delivered or bought in shops) and riding a bike only slightly more risky.

mountainsofsussex
    Free Member

Seeing as there doesn’t appear to be a formal statement from the government to read through, I’m going by “reputable” news outlets, and there’s no lockdown as far as I can tell. So I’ll be going out for rides. But yeah, this thread has reminded me that I really don’t want to end up in a&e! And I suspect that even if I get it, I may sneak out to walk the dog, as I can do that without affecting anyone else. If I lived in a block of flats, I guess I’d be buying a turbo for me and a treadmill for Duracell dog!

stevedoc
    Free Member

Trust me apart from the group gathering of local heethabahhs once every when wifes permits, hitting senders like crazed 16 year olds I want nothing to do with anyone when im out on the bike, maybe a casual “eh up” to a rosy cheeked farmer but thats about it. The less interaction I have with the public the better for all concerned.

winston
    Free Member

“no one was remotely worried about touching trollies and PIN card readers”

I was the only one wearing disposable gloves (that I saw) in the supermarket today and I could see some people laughing.

Whatever. People are people and though having teenage children I’m sure I’ll get it eventually, it just seems sensible to wear gloves when touching stuff several thousand people have touched that day.

pennine
    Free Member

I took to wearing disposable gloves at the supermarket last Friday. Didn’t see anyone else doing the same & hardly anyone batted an eyelid (at least I didn’t notice anyone). Two or three did mention that’s a good idea. Being in the over 70s bracket I carry a couple of pairs in my ride bag just in case.

kayak23

just seems sensible to wear gloves when touching stuff several thousand people have touched that day.

What about when you put it away in the cupboards, who picked it up and fondled it before you put it in your cupboards? When you get it out of the cupboards will you still wear the gloves?, it’s touched the cupboards too of course, and the inside of your shopping bags… Did you touch your face whilst wearing the gloves? Did you keep the gloves on when you put it away? 😉

Crazy and scary times.

dave661350

I’m sure plenty of people citing mental health on here will be little more than grouchy if they’re off the bike, but you have to wonder at what point measures become so economically impactful that UK deaths from Covid-19 are outstripped by suicides directly related to job loss, bankruptcy and so on.

I’ve been considered this a fair bit today. I suspect most people who aren’t cyclists, look at it as a bit of fun rather than take the view that it is exercise…like them walking or walking the dog.

pennine
    Free Member

The gloves stopped me touching my face (which I do occasionally) after picking up the products. Thoroughly washed hands after putting away at home. Just a small thing but if I think it helps then that’s fine with me.

kcr
    Free Member

Official line from Mr B. Johnson:
    “That means that if possible you should not go out, even to buy food or essentials, other than for exercise and in that case at a safe distance from others

I know he’s an incompetent fool, but I think his guidance about exercise is correct.

Selfish folk more worried about not being able to ride a bike for a month or so than trying to pull together and reduce the strain on our emergency services.

I’d say a sensible bit of exercise will reduce the burden on the NHS in terms of mental and physical health, and if there’s less traffic on the road it might actually make cycling even safer and more enjoyable than usual.

chrismac

So you can do exercise but not buy food? Bojo really has lost it

chakaping
    Free Member

Do you think it was his idea to caveat about exercise then?

Or maybe the public health professionals who know it’s unlikely to spread CV and is good for people?

vickypea
    Free Member

I would also be concerned about my mental health if I can’t get out for a ride or at least walks. I’m not sure why all the millions of dog walkers would be allowed out for a walk but people without dogs wouldn’t. That’s effectively saying that dogs are more important than humans.

theotherjonv

My Bootcamp provider has emailed to say they are continuing to run their sessions.

1/ it’s in the open air

2/ they’ll reduce / remove equipment and run them as bodyweight exercises (or you can bring your own weight)

3/ everyone to wear gloves

4/ no ‘partner’ exercises

5/ it’s a big park and he shouts at squaddies for a living – we can space out easily

Is that minimal social contact. Maybe if we don’t speak to each other while there? Might be an option for others who will go stir crazy otherwise?

theotherjonv

My Bootcamp provider has emailed to say they are continuing to run their sessions.

1/ it’s in the open air

2/ they’ll reduce / remove equipment and run them as bodyweight exercises (or you can bring your own weight)

3/ everyone to wear gloves

4/ no ‘partner’ exercises

5/ it’s a big park and he shouts at squaddies for a living – we can space out easily

Is that minimal social contact. Maybe if we don’t speak to each other while there? Might be an option for others who will go stir crazy otherwise?

ferrals
    Free Member

I am with @reluctantjumper on this one. However, we do need to be mindful of potential consequences. I’ll stick to rides with zero technical difficulties; in fact might ride on the road more as there in theory should be less traffic.

13thfloormonk

I have two dilemmas-

Going to the gym: seems a no-brainer to avoid. Wife is between jobs so financially we could be a bit precarious. Would feel bad cancelling membership (small gym, part of an airpirt hotel, probably dying on their arse right now!) but feels like we need to batten down the hatches a little.

A snowy hillwalk this weekend: boils down to the argument of responsibility, nothing precarious planned but am feeling we should at least do something low level instead!

Akers

That ‘official line’ from Bo-Jo relates to those infected with Covid.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Ironically the cycling club has canceled all club runs/event for the foreseeable.

Work is still open though, so a lot of us will be out for a group ride anyway (if I can catch it on a bike ride I can catch it at my desk).

Official line from Mr B. Johnson:
    “That means that if possible you should not go out, even to buy food or essentials, other than for exercise and in that case at a safe distance from others”

I know he’s an incompetent fool, but I think his guidance about exercise is correct.

Shhhhh, don’t go quoting actual guidance, you know half the people on the forum don’t actually cycle, this just gives some of them the excuse to actually say it 🤣

lightfighter762
    Free Member

Time for an ebike to rip around the woods outback.

daern
    Free Member

Ironically the cycling club has canceled all club runs/event for the foreseeable.

Ours too. BC are meeting this morning and I think it’s likely that pretty much everything to do with organised cycling in the UK is going to get canned by the end of the day.

Personally, I can live without group rides, races and training, but the thought of a month (or more!) off the bike completely fills me with absolute dread. I know there are more important things in the world, but my bike is what helps me keep my sanity and I’m not looking forward to being without it.

On the other hand, I’ll have a garage full of the cleanest, most perfectly maintained steeds the world has ever seen!

reluctantjumper

Forgot about the gym membership! Decided early on I’d avoid it as it’s a chain warehouse setup, the constant churn of visitors mean there’s bound to be someone in there carrying it. They have to constantly remind people of the importance of wiping your sweat off machines after you’ve used them anyway, let alone now so must cancel that while I remember. I can’t see how they can keep the showers Covid-free as they’re in constant use.

roger_mellie

Worth repeating that the official line quoted above is for those who already have c19:

On people isolating for 14 days, Johnson said: “That means that if possible you should not go out, even to buy food or essentials, other than for exercise and in that case at a safe distance from others.” Whitty said this was vital to help limit the spread, and relieve pressure on the NHS.

Guardian link

stevedoc
    Free Member

Went out this morning early 6.30am local reservoir loop saw a grand total of 2 people walking dogs all well over 20 yards away from me. I touched nothing, licked nothing and felt great for it. Nothing more for me to say..

bob_summers

The Spanish ban is a blunt instrument. I’m driving to work today to lug a load of books home but in the coming days when I actually need to go in, I’ll be riding or walking there because the decreto doesn’t explicitly prohibit it, and the alternative is getting on a train. I’m not going to take the piss and do 60 mile loops in full lycra to get to my job 6 miles away.

If they permit leisure activities outside, next thing you’ll have chain gangs of WFH mamils going up and down the coast road every day.

My OH is a teacher. A while back, a dad dropped his clearly unwell child off at school. When told his child should not be at school, he shrugged and said he couldn’t look after it because he was training for (insert name of sportive here) – that’s the mentality of the Spanish mamil.

kcr
    Free Member

The NHS was already seriously overburdened before the virus arrived, so if anyone really believes cycling is an unacceptable risk, how can you justify doing it at any time…?

Common sense will tell you that going out for a solo cycle is not a problem.

13thfloormonk

Personally, I can live without group rides, races and training,

It did occur to me that perhaps the worst way to spread the disease was blowing snot-rockets! I’d only just started dabbling with group rides again, would be a shame to miss them but perhaps for the best right now…

pennine
    Free Member

My local trails are starting to dry out, so here’s a photo from yesterday. Both of us are in the ‘at risk’ group but are being careful

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I’ll be going out for easy solo local rides.
    Doesn’t exercising outside in the fresh air and countryside boost the immune system?
    Certainly feels a lot more pleasant than sitting indoors on a turbo trainer

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It did occur to me that perhaps the worst way to spread the disease was blowing snot-rockets!

It doesn’t cause a runny nose so you’re safe.

bails

I’ve got a trip to the Lake District coming up this weekend/early next week. I live in a rubbish place for MTBing, my ride buddy had a serious injury (not MTB related) a year ago and I’ve been working flat out (for the NHS, but not in a clinical role) since the summer so I think I did three proper MTB rides last year. I got married in the autumn and didn’t even have time for a proper honeymoon because of work, then we planned on going to Asia and that got canned because of coronavirus. So, I really, really, really want to go still.

There will only be two of us, we’re not doing anything rad and we’ll be spending most of our time out on the hills far more distant from other people than I would be if I was at work/home.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 2,121 total)

The topic ‘Lock down, can i ride my bike in the countryside?’ is closed to new replies.