• This topic has 2,120 replies, 407 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by nickjb.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 2,121 total)
  • Lock down, can i ride my bike in the countryside?
  • hutchweb

So if we go to a lockdown, like spain and italy, can i still ride out in the countryside?
    I don’t see that xc on the downs is a risk to anyone else or myself but will it be allowed?

boomerlives
    Free Member

Depends on the terms of the ‘lock down’

There were a few geezers in Spain yesterday jogging, because the fuzz can’t arrest them.

If they can under the terms…

Mind, I suppose you just cough at them and you will be on your way.

supernova

There were reports in the press yesterday that police were stopping and fining cyclists in Spain.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

As discussed on another thread, it’s not just a question of the likelyhood of meeting anyone and passing on or getting the virus, it’s putting more stress on the health system if you have an accident. Here in Spain the decision has been made for us, no cycling of any sort with a fine up to €600,000 or 3 months jail for infraction. Sobering times, might have to dust down the turbo.

MoreCashThanDash

As I understand it, the Spanish rules restrict all travel, even cycling, to essential journeys, ie work and getting food and medicines.

So extending that journey for a ride in the countryside would be illegal I guess.

dovebiker

I’ll be riding and riding after dark – 100m to the canal towpath and a further mile to miles of open countryside. Can’t see the Rozzers chasing MTB riders off-road in the dark being a priority.

Greybeard
    Free Member

I think the point is that while being out for recreational purposes isn’t going to spread infection if you don’t meet anyone, they don’t know you’re not riding or walking to go somewhere other than a food shop or to work. But I’d have thought you should be able to cycle commute or food shop.

globalti
    Free Member

The dozen or so Police on duty every day in my area are fully occupied eating burgers and drinking coffee, guarding prisoners in hospital and a couple of them are cruising up and down the M6 stopping idiots who get a ping on the ANPR so the likelihood of them bothering a cyclist is zero.

BadlyWiredDog

Yep, round here they can’t catch actual criminals under normal circumstances. The idea that the police, in the time of corona, are going to have time to apprehend me if I go out on a mountain bike seems far fetched. It’s going to boil down to don’t crash, don’t be caught and don’t be a dick – if it gets to that place anyway.

trail_rat
    Free Member

and of course remember no ones coming looking for you if you do fall off and incapacitate your self.

lunge

There is no way I’m not exercising for however long we’re on lockdown, no way in the world.
    I’d do more damage to myself and other if I was stuck in 4 walls.
    Zwift is fine but a run outside is the only thing that keeps me sane.

lightfighter762
    Free Member

Hopefully I will make the 100 meter dash from my house to the woods without being stopped.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

More Cash- I should have said leisure cycling is banned here in Spain, no such restrictions in the UK, yet. My point is that the likelyhood of transmission on a solo ride in the middle of nowhere is negligible but turning up at A&E with a broken limb sustained by an activity that could be avoided will consume vital resources. The policy of don’t be a dick is applicable here.

MoreCashThanDash

Piston broke – absolutely agree on the don’t be a dick. It’s not the consequences for ourselves, it’s the unforseen knock on consequences 3-4 people down the chain.

Hey, so long as I’m alright though 🙄

Onzadog
    Free Member

How at risk of needing a rescue team or hospital treatment are most of us? The risk doesn’t increase because of CV19, only the consequences. But does that really constitute much of a risk?

Yes, if it happens it’s crappy luck but the chances really are slim. I’m not sure it’s possible to behave in a manner that would reduct the normal duty burden on the NHS other than not going in for stuff that doesn’t need treating (which might be one of the naturally occurring benefits of all this).

Work has recently congratulated everyone on so many days without a reportable incident. I’m pretty sure no one actually did anything different on a conscious day to day level, we just got lucky/are experiencing a period of statistical upswing (depending on your point if view).

nedrapier

Friends in Italy have to have a pre-completed form with reason for being out and about. They need to have that ready to present if they’re stopped.

4 reasons food (nearest shop) family ( essentisl visits, bringing food, medicine) hospital or work.

trailwagger
    Free Member

This thread is unbelievable.

Selfish folk more worried about not being able to ride a bike for a month or so than trying to pull together and reduce the strain on our emergency services. We are facing the biggest crisis since the war and you selfish pricks are going to deliberately engage in a dangerous pastime for your own selfish reasons.
    I bet all those doctors and nurses risking their own health to look after the sick will be really glad that you continue to ride your bike against the advise of your own government. If you fall off and injure yourself, hopefully they will put you at the back of the queue in A&E!

Poopscoop

I must admit,I hadn’t thought of the potential implications of riding during all this.

Now I have,I won’t be riding.

richmtb

This thread is unbelievable.

I know, who knew anyone on here actually cycled.

I’m outraged

lightfighter762
    Free Member

Time to put the bikes away. Not important right now.

scotroutes

Dangerous past time? I’ve been riding for 30 years and been hospitalized twice – one of those when a car hit me. Just don’t ask about my DIY accidents…

kid.a
    Free Member

I expect you’d be more likley to get injured cycling to your place of work though. Or even driving to work

neilthewheel

I’m glad I don’t own a dog. What’s your house going to smell like after 3 weeks of not being allowed out?

martinhutch

What’s your house going to smell like after 3 weeks of not being allowed out?

Probably the same as usual.

reluctantjumper

@trailwagger – cycling is one of the few things that helps me keep my asthma and mental health issues under control. If I didn’t get out on the bike every few days I’d be more of a strain on the health service. I will go out but I’ll be avoiding any high risk trails and sticking to just riding regular loops without taking any risks, not going for a PB or KOM and being sensible. It’s not selfish at all for people to get out in the fresh air as long as they are sensible. I’m usually in more danger cycling to work and I won’t stop that either for the same reasons mentioned above. I’ll be sensible and avoid busy spots, ride solo etc. Perfect excuse to go to the places with a tiny car park in the middle of nowhere and do a ride where I will most likely see no-one all day. Much, much less risky than going to the gym or the leisure centre. If there is a ban on outdoor activities I will respect it but until that time I will make sure I’m taking relevant precautions and take heed of any official advice.

Don’t forget health is not just about the physical, we need to keep everyone mentally healthy too.

philjunior
    Free Member

If the government says not to ride, I’ll not ride (except to the shops).
    Until then, I’d suggest that forcing people to walk or ride rather than drive to shops would be more effective than stopping people taking part in any sport. Also, if we’re on lockdown, I’d suggest the risk of accidents ending up in A&E from heaps of DIY being completed would be far higher than going for a spin.
    In the meantime, I’m doing what I can that doesn’t have significant detrimental impact on my life to minimise the risk of being a vector, up to and a little beyond what we are being told we should do by the government (nobody in my household is at particular risk from it – thankfully even my son’s condition shouldn’t be a big risk, but there are many for whom it is a risk and I’d like to minimise this risk as a responsible citizen!). But right now the hospitals are coping etc, I’m getting my fix.
    It sounds like the Spanish approach is simply locking down, not to reduce the A&E burden, if it includes running as well (or maybe cycling isn’t in fact a huge risk).

jimmy

Strip, clean and lube your bike like it’s never been stripped, cleaned and lubed before!

Then do bootcamp sessions to get fit as ****.

When you can go out again it’ll be amazing.

philjunior
    Free Member

Don’t forget health is not just about the physical, we need to keep everyone mentally healthy too.

This. R4 yesterday someone was recommending 5 bits of fun a day to supplement your 5 bits of fresh fruit/veg, as mental health and stress affects your susceptibility and response to infection.

dot
    Free Member

I’m in Spain and there was a couple of stories on the news last night of the police stopping cyclists and runners.

Defo not socially acceptable here either to be out on the bike for leisure – people are posting pics on Twitter of runners / cyclists etc.

doug_basqueMTB.com

In Spain the situation is really clear. For 15 days we can´t do anything other than what is needed to survive! The police are stopping and charging joggers and cyclists. You are allowed out to walk dogs. There is massive social pressure to not ignore this and a hashtag #yomequedoencasa or i´m staying in the house. I live on the edge of the mountains, the singletrack starts at my door and there is nobody there ever. I suggested I was going to ride up to clear some fallen trees and was almost crucified by my friends. So now I´m staying in my house! They have also cancelled our mountain insurance, meaning if you need rescued you will be charged for it. On top of the police fine I think.

The UK isn´t doing that yet it seems but I can´t believe it´s not coming.

Yak

I think ‘don’t be a dick’ is fully applicable here. It would be ridiculous to go out and attempt a first go at the local ‘mega-gap’ in the woods. But a run or sensible ride that kept health up would be viable, especially if there is a long-term lockdown, to avoid health issues associated with lack of movement.

redgrandslam
    Free Member

What if riding/racing bikes is your profession?

martinhutch

I’m sure a lot of non-essential professions will be ceasing operations during a lockdown.

dot
    Free Member

Here that is OK, if you work for Deliveroo etc

doug_basqueMTB.com

@redgrandslam I thought I could claim that clearing trees and maintaining trails is my job but then… Rule #1 and some social conscience. If everyone else is locked down it´s only fair. Professional riders are being told to train inside on rollers in their own house. Just to be clear, that is Spain I´m talking about.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

TBH if I’m still expected to turn up for work I’m still going to ride my bike.

If we’re all put under house arrest then the number of sex injuries and DIY accidents is going to dwarf the odd “fell off a bike”.

This. R4 yesterday someone was recommending 5 bits of fun a day

I’ll mention this to the OH, not holding out much hope though, I didn’t even get steak.

Trimix
    Free Member

Everyone has a different way of viewing risks.

I shall continue to ride, but in order to placate others and not be a burden on A&E I shall take to wearing a helmet.

dot
    Free Member

@doug_basqueMTB.com totally agree if everyone else is staying indoors it’s only fair to do the same in the cities

Here’s an article from El Pais – fines or even prison:

https://english.elpais.com/spanish_news/2020-03-15/members-of-the-spanish-public-face-fines-or-even-prison-if-they-disobey-lockdown-rules.html

Bez

When you can go out again it’ll be amazing.

For the last couple of years I’ve had a 4+ hour commute most days, on top of normal family chaos, which means I’ve barely ridden a bike (other than the mile to the station) in that time. So any enforced work-from-home/isolation would be the time I can go out again 🙂

devash
    Free Member

Full lockdown here in Madrid and I can confirm that the police are indeed stopping joggers and cyclists and sending them home.

No idea what the situation will be back home if / when it gets there. Didn’t Johnson / Rasputin (Cummings) say they wanted everyone to catch it anyhow? Can’t see that being a good result for the Tories at the next election if a significant amount of their voter base (over 60s) are wiped out by this virus.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 2,121 total)

The topic ‘Lock down, can i ride my bike in the countryside?’ is closed to new replies.