Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 134 total)
  • local farmer threatening dog walkers on bridleway and footpath
  • GrahamS

I was more surprised at intent to cause fear carries a 10 year tarrif wheres letting off firearms in the street only carries 14 days.

I think if someone let off a gun in the street then they’d generally cause quite a lot of fear as well!

I’m always a bit bemused by these “intent to” crimes. All very Pre-Cog!

yunki
    Free Member

Threats to kill – 10 years

Offensive weapon in a public place – 4 years

Possessing a firearm with intent to endanger life or injure property – 10 years

intent to cause fear – 10 years

intent to commit an offence – Life

loaded firearm in public place – 7 years

or……. Wantonly discharging in the street….. and earth shaking 14 days!

none of these offences would be relevant in the case of a farmer shooting a dog that was loose on his land though would they..?

wrecker
    Free Member

I’m more on the side of the doggie running around having fun than I am the toff with the shotgun trying to kill small animals.

johndoh
    Free Member

So you think a farmer is within their rights to shoot (or threaten to) a dog in case it somehow manages to catch a bird only put their so someone else can shoot at it?

I do not like dogs one bit, but that seems a bit like double standards to me.

bigjim

no those offence lists are for shooting people, not hounds.

I’m sure its morally OK to shoot dog owners that let their dogs crap everywhere, chase/maul sheep, or who hang bags of crap off trees <runs away>

maccruiskeen

none of these offences would be relevant in the case of a farmer shooting a dog that was loose on his land though would they..?

no – i was referring to the woman aiming a gun at cyclists.

Intent to injure property carries 10 years though – so shooting the dog (as someone’s property) simply to make a point rather than to prevent harm the dog is doing is illegal

The farmer’s threats though (rather than what he could do within the law) are an issue though. He can explain politely what he would have to do if a dog was causing harm, or he can put up a notice explaining the harms dogs could be doing that their owners aren’t aware of. He can’t threaten to shoot a dog because its a dog and he’s a farmer.

samuri
    Free Member

I’m concerned we’re moving away from what is the really important point here and it’s the problem that farmers might have with people and things shitting on their land.

Here’s a quick quiz for you to set the scene.

What do you think farmers put on their land to make the crops grow?

1. Sweeties
    2. Fairy dust
    3. Shit.

Coyote
    Free Member

So you think a farmer is within their rights to shoot (or threaten to) a dog in case it somehow manages to catch a bird only put their so someone else can shoot at it?

The person doing the shooting will have paid for the privilege so as the farmer is protecting his livelihood then I would say yes.

Just keep the dog on a lead. Not hard really.

grum
    Free Member

Did he look a bit like this?

What do you think farmers put on their land to make the crops grow?

1. Sweeties
    2. Fairy dust
    3. Shit.

Pretty sure they don’t use the shit from carnivores as fertiliser, as it’s full of all sorts of nasties.

yunki
    Free Member

1. Sweeties
    2. Fairy dust
    3. Shit.

as a rule though Samuri, the err, poo created by carnivores is full of very noxious and disgusting bacteria, where as the poo of farm animals, rabbits and pheasants is mostly consisting of, err, organic fertilisers

porter_jamie

not going to feeds the obvious trolls.

there is not legal requirement to keep a dog on a lead. it must be under control. there are no signs saying please keep all dogs on lead, it’s shooting season, or whatever. the guy sounds like a complete tosser, and i’m looking forward to meeting with him to have a discussion about it.

samuri
    Free Member

poo of farm animals

like pigs?

grum
    Free Member

there is not legal requirement to keep a dog on a lead. it must be under control.

Pfffft – find me a dog owner who can really control their dog off a lead at all times and I’ll find you a liar.

I bet the owners of the dogs that have run straight in front of me or jumped up at me on my bike would claim they were ‘under control’ too.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Deffo go to the Police and then contact your Council

We have two farms adjacent to each other with 5 footpaths running through them. We gets loads of walkers and some have dogs, using the paths.

If there is a sign outlining the use of firearms to stop worrying cattle then the Farmer has the right to use force.

My FiL went though a stage of hassling walkers for no reason (he was going through some mental health issues at the time) and cocked his shotgun, result.. Police and Court later and an ASBO awarded and shotgun license taken off him.

Now all he does is whine and grumble away to himself.

We have 44 cattle and 120 sheep with associated chickens/ducks.

BTW we have no problems with walkers nor dogs kept on leads but will confront folks that ignore our concerns.

jambalaya
    Free Member

You should go to the police and to the Council as noted above.

A landowner is entitled to insist dogs are kept on a lead.

You might like to consider organizing walkers into groups, ideally mixed male/female. I suspect the landowner is simply a bully. Groups of people are less easy to intimidate and are better able to provide evidence to authorities.

winston_dog
    Free Member

So what do we think this the more heinous crime?

Possible trespass and dog fouling?

Or the illegal and irresponsible use of a firearm which threatens peoples safety?

Also, it would appear the farmer was threatening people.

Totally unacceptable, I would phone the police and report him. Get some of the other walkers to do the same.

yunki
    Free Member

samuri – Member
    poo of farm animals

like pigs?

what of it..?

duckman

Anyway the problem will have died down just now as the farmer is currently too busy shooting buzzards and dumping their bodies on roads.

yunki
    Free Member

Or the illegal and irresponsible use of a firearm which threatens peoples safety?

or what you actually mean is the friendly warning of possible future legal use of a firearm if certain conditions are not adhered to..

The bloke sounds to me like a compassionate dog lover who is just looking after the interests of the OP’s pooch

grum
    Free Member

So what do we think this the more heinous crime?

Possible trespass and dog fouling?

I dunno, but I know which one is more prevalent. 😉

I’m not excusing the actions of this guy, and it’s not often I would be on the side of the landowners, but some people really do need to exercise some common sense/consideration.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Pfffft – find me a dog owner who can really control their dog off a lead at all times and I’ll find you a liar.

Its rare I admit, but I never put my dog on a lead because he is not only well trained but incredibly obedient. And no….I’m not a Liar.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

i’m looking forward to meeting with him to have a discussion about it.

He might be a completely reasonable guy.

All the facts are based on hearsay.

The threatening to shoot a dog may actually be “be careful as your dog may be mistaken as it runs round my land”

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Pretty much anyone who works with a border collie

bigjim

i used to live nextdoor to a shepherd and her collies were amazing, the postman was one last bite away from removing her postal deliveries, and she was always trying to retrieve them from surrounding fields. They were good at relocating walkers walking through the farmyard instead of taking the footpath around it though 😈

grum
    Free Member

Its rare I admit, but I never put my dog on a lead because he is not only well trained but incredibly obedient. And no….I’m not a Liar.

That’s what they all say. Right up to the point where it goes after sheep or a cyclist. Then you can say ‘he’s never done this before’, or ‘he’s only playing’.

Hmm, bit more control than average but still fairly mental IME. One Man and His Dog wouldn’t be very competitive if they were really so easy to control. 🙂

Helios
    Free Member

Some worrying coprophilia going on here. Where exactly did this become an issue about dogs crapping anywhere? No mention of it in the OP. Yet as usual the STW dog haterz leap in to obsess over excrement.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

What this thread needs is some authoritative advice on the law in respect of dog control and leads. Now, where’s Tand … oh

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

I am not going to get drawn into the rights and wrongs of dog ownership and being in control of them and all that, but i am obviously concern that my missus might witness our dog getting shot.

Maybe she should keep it on the lead then? Problem solved!

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

Yet as usual the STW dog haterz leap in to obsess over excrement.

possibly because its one of the most vile substances known to man (other than the lazy dog walkers), which pollutes the countryside which many enjoy.

its absolutely disgusting stuff which we have to put up with when we go to the countryside, purely because dog walkers are too lazy/imbecilic to clean up after their dogs.

if i were a landowner, with lots of dogs walking across it, i bet there’s a fair chance that there’s loads of shit left there too – i’d be pretty pissed off with dog walkers too.

Woody
    Free Member

but i am obviously concern that my missus might witness our dog getting shot.

Call me strange but I’d be more worried about my dog than the missus merely getting upset!

Junkyard
    Free Member

find me a dog owner who can really control their dog off a lead at all times and I’ll find you a liar.

Really will you – I dont get why we need such extreme reactions
    For sure some will be liars but all of them – doe sthat included the sheperd and hsi working dog BTW doe si tneed to be shot?

falkirk-mark

http://www.wildaboutbritain.co.uk/forums/general-wildlife/64002-shooting-dogs.html

I assume you are in Englandshire, here is some decnt reading not the shit that passes for intelligent conversation (by some)on here. Also a dog needs to be dangerously[u] out of control for it to be shot.
    OP do yourself a favour and use this link
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&q=dog+shooting++uk+law&oq=&gs_l=

ski
    Free Member

That’s what they all say. Right up to the point where it goes after sheep or a cyclist. Then you can say ‘he’s never done this before’, or ‘he’s only playing’.

I had one of those on Sunday ‘he’s never done that before’,’he’s only playing’

‘Well I don’t want to play’ was my answer, after getting 6 yards of dog lead untangled from my front wheel 😉

The owner was genuinely surprised though, so I did tend to belive her at the time, a nice dog owner in the end

Helios
    Free Member

purely because dog walkers are too lazy/imbecilic to clean up after their dogs.

Are you honestly so weak minded that you think in such simplistic terms about “dog walkers”?

Are you incapable of comprehending the idea that maybe in life there are some people who are good at things, and some people who are bad at things, and lumping both together based on some loosely shared characteristics is the preserve of the hard-of-thinking.

Just to drive home my point one extra special time for you. Not all “dog walkers” leave crap on walks – so treating all “dog walkers” with disdain is idiotic.

GrahamS

I regularly pass one of the local farmers walking his two collies down the path, off the lead. They are very well behaved. A quick call from him and they move to the side of the path and sit down. I usually get a cheery “Morning” too (from him, not the dogs, they’re not that clever). 🙂

I’d much rather that than trying to pass a dog “on the lead” when the lead in question is 20-foot long, near invisible and stretched directly across the path. 👿

johndoh
    Free Member

The person doing the shooting will have paid for the privilege so as the farmer is protecting his livelihood then I would say yes.

Fair enough if the dog *IS* trying to attack a bird. Possibly. If the suggestion is that the dog *might* attack a bird then no.

Earl_Grey

One Man and His Dog wouldn’t be very competitive if they were really so easy to control.

😆
    I think it’s the unpredictable, dangerous out-of-control sheep that make it difficult.
    Anyway, it can’t be that hard – I saw a documentary where a pig did it.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

Are you honestly so weak minded that you think in such simplistic terms about “dog walkers”?

i think its pretty clear that i’m talking about the type who leave their dog’s shit everywhere.

you’re not one of those, are you?

🙄

samuri
    Free Member

All herd animals. By themselves, harmless, mindless, comical creatures.

Put them in a pack though and they become the most dangerous organism known to farmers.

grum
    Free Member

Really will you – I dont get why we need such extreme reactions
    For sure some will be liars but all of them – doe sthat included the sheperd and hsi working dog BTW doe si tneed to be shot?

Yeah bit harsh maybe – but I have had numerous encounters with dogs off their leads, and have had the old ‘he’s never normally like this’ or ‘he’s only playing’ several times. Everyone likes to think their dog is well trained don’t they. One guy got really quite aggressive with me when I suggested his dog should be on a lead after it ran straight in front of me on the cycle tow path and I nearly ran it over. I always slow down to walking pace going past dogs anyway (as long as I see them).

On more than one occasion I’ve been close to having a very nasty accident – purely because people are either in denial about how well trained their dogs are, CBA putting them on a lead, or don’t care.

I was coming down to Sedbergh from the Calf once and a dog properly jumped at me and ran after me for about 50 yards trying to get me – the owners didn’t say a word or try to call him back or anything. The other day an old woman had two dogs off leads who ran straight out over a busy crossing and nearly caused a crash.

I really do question how well trained the vast majority of dogs are to be allowed off their leads.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 134 total)

The topic ‘local farmer threatening dog walkers on bridleway and footpath’ is closed to new replies.