Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 134 total)
  • local farmer threatening dog walkers on bridleway and footpath
  • patriotpro
    Free Member

How long is the stretch of land in question?

Would it be that much of a hardship to keep the dog on the lead until past it? 💡

ski
    Free Member

samuri – Member

All herd animals. By themselves, harmless, mindless, comical creatures.

Put them in a pack though and they become the most dangerous organism known to farmers.

Apart from the farmer himself of cource 😉

Deadlist things I have seen on a farm is a friendly bull and a cow injected with steroids (many years ago) that wanted to climb a six foot gate to get at a dog the other side!

I also had a bull roll my picup over while I was in the back, because it had an itch.

[edit] if you are in a field and see cattle about to kick off, not common I know, but does happen, check to see where you left the dog and run in the oppisite direction 😉

😉

Woody
    Free Member

It’s funny how intolerant and ignorant some people become in the countryside and I include ALL users in that.

In 4 years I have only had one incident (none with farmers) of cyclist vs dog and TBH it was probably my fault. Blind corner, dogs off lead 10 yards ahead, I didn’t see or hear bikes approaching and the dogs got a fright and barked at the lead bike. Cue Mr Specialized going into a rant even though I’d called dogs back and apologised immediately. I was going to point out his lack of bell but thought he might have expired in a frothy heap had I done so 🙄

I would reckon only 50% of cyclists say thanks for pulling the dogs off the path, with the most ignorant being the ‘keen cyclist’, who seem pissed off that someone else has the audacity to be in their way and they have had to slow down a little. It isn’t a big deal to slow down and no matter how well trained the dogs are it takes a little time to call them back when you see a bike approaching.

A little consideration goes a long way.

Coyote
    Free Member

Always acknowledge when someone gives way, either by moving a dog or slowing down / moving to the side to let me past. It’s good manners.

grum
    Free Member

I would reckon only 50% of cyclists say thanks for pulling the dogs off the path, with the most ignorant being the ‘keen cyclist’, who seem pissed off that someone else has the audacity to be in their way and they have had to slow down a little. It isn’t a big deal to slow down and no matter how well trained the dogs are it takes a little time to call them back when you see a bike approaching.

I always do, without fail, and I’m pretty much always slowed to walking pace anyway. The two incidents I can particularly remember though – one of them was on a road, and two dogs literally ran across the road into my path and I had to swerve/brake pretty hard to avoid them.

The other one I was coming down a BW, reasonably quick admittedly but I could see quite far ahead, and the dog came hurtling towards me and jumped at me then chased me. No apology from the owners.

Helios
    Free Member

i think its pretty clear that i’m talking about the type who leave their dog’s shit everywhere.

you’re not one of those, are you?

Nope, I’m not one of those. I always clear up after mine, no matter where he does it. (Unlike my father-in-law I’m ashamed to say, who thinks that as long as his two crap in the long grass somewhere and he can’t see it, then it doesn’t exist)

But it’s not pretty clear you’re just talking about the irresponsible ones when you say things like this:

if i were a landowner, with lots of dogs walking across it, i bet there’s a fair chance that there’s loads of shit left there too – i’d be pretty pissed off with dog walkers too

However, we agree on one point – it is completely disgusting, unnecessary and irresponsible for people to fail to clear up after their dog – but I can’t understand why there are so many black-and-white, vehement anti-dog views on here. The idea that some ‘dog owners are bad therefore all dog owners are bad’ is prevalent. And almost any thread on it becomes an attack on dog owners. It is akin to the drivel in my local paper trashing all “cyclists” as if they act as a collective, because of a few red light jumpers or people out in the dark with no lights on.

I’m with Woody, a bit more tolerance from everyone wouldn’t go amiss.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I had that once grum. I stopped and started kicking the shit out of the dog. When the owner started screaming i said dont worry I am only playing and I have never done that before 😉
    It chased me for a good 1/4 mile without a single shout from the owner before i finally lost my temper and defended myself.

Some dog owners are idiots but that is true for some anything statements be they cyclists, walkers whatever

grum
    Free Member

Some dog owners are idiots but that is true for some anything statements be they cyclists, walkers whatever

Yeah that’s fair enough – there’s a lot of dog owners about though, more than cyclists? 🙂

When the owner started screaming i said dont worry I am only playing and I have never done that before

lol

Rockape63
    Free Member

Its rare I admit, but I never put my dog on a lead because he is not only well trained but incredibly obedient. And no….I’m not a Liar.

That’s what they all say. Right up to the point where it goes after sheep or a cyclist. Then you can say ‘he’s never done this before’, or ‘he’s only playing’.

Maybe some do, but not me! Besides, I’m a dog walker, Mountain bike rider and also I ride with my dog in tow….can’t ever outrun him! So I see things from all ways and like Woody says, a bit of consideration from everyone and the problems disappear. Sadly there are always exceptions, but they need educating.

IdleJon

Back to the OP.

Maybe a little thought experiment is in order: you own a house with a garden that borders the street and of course have a RoW running past the garden – the pavement. Every day a lovely lady walks her dog down the pavement and lets the dog loose on your lawn. How long is it before you start to get annoyed?

Maybe you wouldn’t threaten to shoot her dog, but how about if 10 people did the same? How long would it take to make you unreasonably angry?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Why does EVERY thread that has even have a sniff of a mention of dogs bring out the extremists every bloody time?

Sui
    Free Member

bigyinn – Member
    Why does EVERY thread that has even have a sniff of a mention of dogs bring out the extremists every bloody time?

it jihad time..

grum
    Free Member

The massive sense of entitlement of many dog owners as I mentioned earlier? 😉

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

If he shoots your dog on a right of way on his land then he can be charged with criminal damage, unless your dog is worrying livestock, in which case it is generally seen as justified. If your dog is off the path after he asks/has asked you to keep it on the path, then you are trespassing.

If he has said that he may be forced to shoot if dogs are worrying livestock, then that is probably a fair warning. If he has said that he will shoot if dogs are just on his land, then that isn’t. He can only take to court for that, he has no right to shoot the dog. If he is making general threats to shoot people/dogs then that should be reported to the police.

Aside from all of that, and hoping to stir up the already rabid debate. I think dog owners (all pet owners in fact, although large dogs are among the worst), should have to pay a yearly pet tax to offset their substantial carbon footprint.

Sandwich

The massive sense of entitlement of many dog owners[b]people[/b] as I mentioned earlier?

6 of one half a dozen of the other!

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Its rare I admit, but I never put my dog on a lead because he is not only well trained but incredibly obedient. And no….I’m not a Liar.

Is that as accurate a statement as the one you made about Aberdeen being an employment wasteland on the Trump thread?

Rockape63
    Free Member

You should know better than to use cross thread posts…..it will only end in tears!

You will also be aware, that I retracted the statement, that was not a statement of fact, but an open question.

Knob!

Woody
    Free Member

[url=http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/dogs-in-front-of-the-fire-pics]Not EVERY time [/url] 😉

ski
    Free Member

If all dog owners cleared up after their dogs and kept them under control at all times around others….

I wonder how quiet it would be here?

😉

Helios
    Free Member

pleaderwilliams – Member

Aside from all of that, and hoping to stir up the already rabid debate. I think dog owners (all pet owners in fact, although large dogs are among the worst), should have to pay a yearly pet tax to offset their substantial carbon footprint.

I’d support that* if you made all parents pay an annual child tax to offset their substantial carbon footprint.

*You’re welcome 😉

EDIT: Three winky faces in a row – does that mean someone wins a prize?

yunki
    Free Member

I’d support that* if you made all parents pay an annual child tax to offset their substantial carbon footprint.

I’d support that if your dog was going to grow up to be the next generation of tax payers

🙄

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

You should know better than to use cross thread posts…..it will only end in tears!

One post and you’re crying about it? Jeez you need to grow a pair and stop being such a girl

You will also be aware, that I retracted the statement,

yes, because what you said was wrong, inaccurate and factually incorrect, as having proven your tendency toward saying things that are wrong, inaccurate and factually incorrect, you’ll maybe understand why someone might question another of your statements

Knob!

Typical dog owner, someone questions them and they get all insulty

Rockape63
    Free Member

Typical dog owner, someone questions them and they get all insulty

Probably because you deliberately misinterpreted my post which was more of a question than a statement….but as soon as I was made aware of the facts, I said as much.

Helios
    Free Member

As for growing up to be the next generation of tax payers. When the dog can avail himself of the NHS, a state pension, criminal justice system, public services, national defence, roads, the rail network etc etc etc and has an income against which to pay tax I’ll fill in the forms myself – (he can’t – he was sadly born without opposable thumbs and can’t hold a pen).

But i don’t see what thet has to do with why i should pay for his carbon footprint, but you can’t pay for your kids’. Given that having children is the most irresponsible thing you can do in your life (from a purely environmental standpoint of course), I don’t see your problem with my proposal. You can tax my dog’s carbon footprint when you tax your own.

PS: There is no way that any of what I’ve said so far was meant tongue in cheek. Definitely not. 🙄

yunki
    Free Member

🙄

MrsToast
    Free Member

All the eye swivelling in this thread reminds of Knightmare, when the player’s life force went to nothing.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ur_QMZQiq_M[/video]

“PICK UP THE CHICKEN! LEFT! NO RIGHT! SPELLCA…”

🙄

“Ooooh, naaaaasty”.

schnor
    Free Member

Knightmare was ace!

Anyhoo, as someone who deals with this exact problem from time to time in work, as has been mentioned earlier, the first phone call should be made ASAP to the police, the second to your RoW department.

Various offences (both civil and criminal) have been committed here.

If asked, I would advise walkers to keep to the path, and to avoid all possible confusion over being in (close) control – to keep dogs on a lead whenever on farmland, and to always clear up dog mess. Obviously if someone starts yelling at you / threatening you just turn around, its not worth getting thumped over TBH.

Although I genuinely sympathise with farmers / landowners and understand it is their livelihood, even though sometimes they get REALLY wound up by dog walkers / bikers / etc, I would go down and tell them in person that you cannot shoot dogs unless they are worrying livestock (and that pheasants aren’t livestock), that it is an offence to disrupt any paths users / cause a nuisance / etc, and you should not discharge firearms (IIRC) within 50ft of a highway. And before you think about threatening people in future, yell at me over the phone instead. I’d also chase it up with the police to see what action they took.

I can’t link it directly, but google “basc dogs livestock and game” as its quite comprehensive.

If anyone has any specific questions please shout.

grum
    Free Member

When the dog can avail himself of the NHS, a state pension, criminal justice system, public services, national defence, roads, the rail network etc etc etc and has an income against which to pay tax I’ll fill in the forms myself – (he can’t – he was sadly born without opposable thumbs and can’t hold a pen).

A debate about dogs paying taxes/using public services – brilliant!

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

A debate about dogs paying taxes/using public services – brilliant!

I think we can probably close the rest of the Chat Forum now.

juan
    Free Member

She has met a few people that claim the landowner has threated to shoot any dogs not on a lead.

Well keep dog on lead, problem solved. As far as I am concern the more dogs get shots, the happier I am to be able to walk/run/ride anywhere I want without the threat of being bitten.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Shoot the dog owners, not the dog.

Also – bring back dog licenses

falkirk-mark

Well keep dog on lead, problem solved. As far as I am concern the more dogs get shots, the happier I am to be able to walk/run/ride anywhere I want without the threat of being bitten.

That’s a brilliant idea and when he gets away with that he will want to shoot the louts thundering down the bridleways on their bikes and then the red sock brigade for just being there 10/10 for that idea.

Glupton would my dog get a cheaper license given she is only black?

anagallis_arvensis

I had a similar incident happen to me when I was young and stupid. Gun arsehole interfaces followed by sheep turning up dead were suggested. It ended with my brother and some mates having a quiet word with him. . Would have been much easier to have just called the police.

glupton1976
    Free Member

falkirk-mark – no because that would be a racist policy. 😉

andyl
    Free Member

Pfffft – find me a dog owner who can really control their dog off a lead at all times and I’ll find you a liar.

[quote]

Its rare I admit, but I never put my dog on a lead because he is not only well trained but incredibly obedient. And no….I’m not a Liar.[/quote]

When I lived in Bristol I used to go for morning runs with the spaniel off the lead. When we get to a road she stops and waits with me.

I actually used to find it a lot easier to have no lead a lot of the time when just walking as idiots would quite often try and push through between me and the dog.

As for threatening to shoot the dog – report it ASAP.

If there is a sign by a land owner requesting that dogs are on a lead then as a guest on their land I will adhere to their wishes. But I also know my animal around livestock (we have sheep) and at times I will keep her under close control but off the lead so she can run should something like a cow decide to go for her instead of taking out both of us.

But if someone shot my dog I doubt I would be able to restrain myself.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

I would go down and tell them in person that you cannot shoot dogs unless they are worrying livestock (and that pheasants aren’t livestock),

And I would gladly tell you that you were totally and utterly wrong on that point.

and you should not discharge firearms (IIRC) within 50ft of a highway.

That constitutes a carriageway, so does not apply to a footpath or bridleway.

orangetoaster
    Free Member

Firstly, the Highway Code advises that dogs are kept on a short

lead on roads shared with horses and/or cyclists.

Wild animals (game – such as pheasant or rabbit etc) become the property of the landowner when on that persons property.

A landowner commits an offence of criminal damage for shooting a dog. A statuturoy defence is provided if the dog is shot whilst it’s worrying livestock.

Allowing a dog to “be at large” in a field containing sheep is an offence. Being at large is defined as not being on a lead or otherwise under close control. The inference is that close control equates to being on a lead.

According to the British Horse societies accident reporting website there are 11 recorded dog attacks on horses in South downs National Park. Compare this to only 2 recorded incidents involving cyclists.
    There are regular complaints in SDNP about mountainbikes and a strengthening drive to restrict MTB access. This comes from the sort of people that campaign to ban trail motorcycling.

Helios
    Free Member

I think we can probably close the rest of the Chat Forum now.

See a need, fill a need.

bwaarp
    Free Member

I’ve had more run ins with other cyclists than I have with dogs.

Usually dick head middle aged roadies that think they’re Bradley Wiggens on winter mtb rides going full belt round blind corners. It’s lead to a few punch ups.

The only time I’ve had a run in with a dog (a big **** off Allsation, my late gentle Spaniel jumped in and hung off it’s throat). If you’ve never had a good dog, one that is well behaved, loyal and gentle mannered towards people then you should think twice about lumping us all in the same boat. Funnily enough half of you making these whining wet comments would be the same lot that would have me banned if I made trolling comments about homosexuals, asians, old people or whatever.

So what, a dog chased you the other day? I’ve lost count of the amount of times I’ve been physically threatened by humans. In fact the amount of times I’ve been attacked by a dog is equal to the amount of times I’ve been hit by falling oak trees. Life’s risky, get used to it.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

winter mtb rides going full belt round blind corners.

As you’re bwaarp and therefore perfect you’ve obviously never done this once in your life. 🙄

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 134 total)

The topic ‘local farmer threatening dog walkers on bridleway and footpath’ is closed to new replies.