Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Loc Tight / Copper Slip on threads
  • prezet
    Free Member

Hi

Do you guys use either of the above on threads for maintenance of your bikes? If so, which do you normally apply to common serviceable threads?

Also, and preference on which product to use?

Thanks.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

For me – loctite on safety critical bolts – disc rotor bolts. coppaslip on everything else threaded.

Junkyard
    Free Member

copper slip to parts that dont move but you will want to remove one day – Bottom brackets headset cups [ frame side] etc – stops them seizing
    Loc tight dont use but perhaps chainring bolts??

rocketman
    Free Member

Use quite a bit of blue Loctite on components, even things like BB cups where it says ‘don’t use threadlock’

Copaslip great for the back of brake pads although someone will along in a minute to tell you how it migrates through the backing plate and contaminates the friction material.

MadPierre

Loctite on anything you don’t want wandering out on it’s own: disc bolts & pivot bolts being the main ones. You can usually spot which one’s the manufacturers think should use it as they come with loctite already on the bolts so you’ll see it when you take it apart. Copper grease on everything else.

simon1975

Threadlock only goes on chainring bolts for me. My other threads get copper grease, and I use waterproof grease as “assembly paste” on stems etc (as well as in bearings).

Not too fussy about which products.

flip
    Free Member

Sometimes use copper slip on BB and Pedals.

I wouldn’t use loctite on any bike bits, why would you? Just tighten them correctly.

thomthumb
    Free Member

Loc tight dont use but perhaps chainring bolts??

once put loctite 271 on my chainring bolts.

only to find

It is only removable once cured by heating up parts to 500°F

simon1975

I wouldn’t use loctite on any bike bits, why would you?

To try (unsuccessfully) to prevent Middleburn spiders from cracking. I’m a serial dropper of steel chainring bolts. Must be my unique riding style.

hilldodger
    Free Member

A correctly assembled and maintained bicycle needs neither of these products, only used by bodgers to cover their sloppy technique or manufacturers to cover their proverbials under ‘fit for purpose’ regs
    🙄

flip
    Free Member

A correctly assembled and maintained bicycle needs neither of these products

No a bike doesn’t need but helps in removing BB etc.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

A correctly assembled and maintained bicycle needs neither of these products,

That’s incorrect.

Shimano hubs are noted for their wandering cones and lock nuts, only Loctite seems to cure this.

In addition, one should lube all torque sensitive threads because otherwise friction might give a false torque reading and correct tightness won’t be achieved.

And then there’s the risk of galvanic corrosion between dissimilar metals, copper slip greases prevent this.

neninja
    Free Member

A correctly assembled and maintained bicycle needs neither of these products, only used by bodgers to cover their sloppy technique or manufacturers to cover their proverbials under ‘fit for purpose’ regs

I disagree. It’s good practice and in the riders interest to thread-lock safety critical parts such as brake rotor bolts, calliper mounts etc. Even the most rigorously maintained bike can have items come loose on long rough rides.

I also thread-lock my jockey wheel bolts as on the XT Shadow you can’t do the lower one up tightly if you want to leave a gap between the plates.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Loc Tight / Copper Slip on threads’ is closed to new replies.