• This topic has 12 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Elmo.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Llandegla & the masts
  • Jenga
    Free Member

Thinking of a trip to Llandegla tomorrow. I hear that there's a route up to the TV masts, if you know where to turn. Does anyone have a route map, or preferably a GPX they could let me have?

Cheers

Rorschach
    Free Member

As you're illegally riding on a footpath theres unlikely to be a route map eh??

terrahawk
    Free Member

and you're sure that's a footpath are you?

Jenga
    Free Member

Dunno, that's why I'm asking. It has been regularly talked about on here, and as I'm not doing a Barnes like 30+ rider crossing I'm prepared to risk the wrath of the spittle sprayers!

coffeeking
    Free Member

Really? I know LOADS of route maps of footpaths. OS make a few. As far as I'm aware, maps dont care what use you put them to.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Those sections arn't foot paths so go for it.

If it wasn't for us riding it then the walkers wouldn't be able to get up there, so they should be glad of our help.

mAx_hEadSet

shhh there are no masts there are no paths leading to them should they exist…… seriously though the mountain is home to those bleedin' rare black grouse and since over half the uk population live within 20 miles of Llandegla all the heather topped mountains have a high grade of european conservation designation that means any unauthorised activity on the mountain is an offence under wildlife conservation and habitat preservation legislation as opposed to being mere trespass.

There are plans are under way to create a legal link route to join Llandegla to the Horseshoe pass via these non existant masts. The success of this operation will be heavily dependant on getting consent from the landowners and nature conservation bodies to build a dedicated and managed route.

If you go for a ride up on the moors you might note a few more bods than usual hanging around taking an interest in your activity, over the last few months it is becoming increasingly evident some Llandegla haterz are monitoring and taking records of unauthorised access by bikers with it is likely they will try to associate the cause of this activity directly with the mountain biking in the forest. If they apply pressure through european habitat law on the nature agencies to take action, that might force the forest operators to at least take action to help stop this activity if not even impact on the operation within the forest. Since the Forestry are active partners in the conservation program the illegal riding it also puts them in an awkward position if they are proven to be part cause of unlawful activity.

Of course nobody rides these none existnat tracks but there are even less people who should think it a wise move to spread or share news that might be seen to be increasing the numbers of riders out there looking to find and use them…. first rule of sustainable cheeky trails is ………..

Jenga
    Free Member

…..don't get caught.

mAx_hEadSet

nope #1 is KITYFS, reducing the risk of getting caught significantly

project
    Free Member

Probably about 25 years ago when Landegla was a private forest with a few tracks through it,we rode up there from Wrexham, got to where the new double gates are now and proceeded across where the sleepers are now.

All of a sudden two blokes poped up out of the heather, all dress as Twitchers,and proclaimed they where concerned we where scareing the Black Grouse, and other birds, and that we where trespassing on a footpath(offas dyke path),so we just turned round after offering apologies, and proceeded up to Cyrn Y Brain, the Transmitters as they are known as, where a few chaps working for BBC, said we where on private property,their concrete road,but paid for with our licence fees,we explained about the Black Grouse men, to which they didnt believe us, and made us go back the way we had come, to meet up with the black grouse watchers who we told their where men shooting black grouse at the aerial.To which they got rather animated and started running up the hil to the Aerial

Just beaware its ok to shoot birds, but not to ride a bike near them, strangely.

Kramer
    Free Member

I've been there, and I shall never tell.

It was fun though…

Elmo
    Free Member

Well ok i'm not going there tomorrow then 🙄

About 10ish.

Then possibly not the peacock trail 😉

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Llandegla & the masts’ is closed to new replies.