Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Goodwood Festival of Speed…
  • the-muffin-man

…is it worth going, or has it become so popular that you can hardly move or see anything?

Ta!

azzyp
    Free Member

hey man

its been mega busy every year since i was 13 (im 24 now and live local), always will be its a one a kind event, but it is well worth going for sure, i just reccomend going the saturday as thats a cheaper ticket day, and generally abit quieter cos most of the celebs go the sunday, which draws more crowds in. oh and get there early!

muggomagic

cracking day out. does get busy by the track when the supercars and F1 cars are on, but you can usually find a spot where you get a clear view. the noise of the F1 cars wheel spinning on the start line was something I’ll never forget.

so much to do and see, but it can get a bit expensive if you want to do it all. I took my daughter (who was 5 at the time) and she had a great time. Was planning on going this year, but working the weekend its on, so will have to wait til next year.

azzyp
    Free Member

oh and its not that bad that u cant move or see nething its quite spacious

cynic-al
    Free Member

take something to sit on!

The rally stage is cool. I’d go again.

naokfreek
    Free Member

Been 6/7 times since 97 or so…..much fun, take a rug, food, booze, find a spot on the hill (after a look around, lots to see) and enjoy!!

tis grand

Bez

It’s great and there’s not much else like it. Wouldn’t go every year – a lot of it’s the same one year to the next – but certainly a must-do at least once, there aren’t many places you can see famous drivers powersliding 40-year-old F1 cars*.

* or mincing along in the case of Damon Hill

tyger
    Free Member

I’m waiting to hear if I’ve managed to land a job at Goodwood so drop me line if you decide to go.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

I may be going, but Friday is the cheaper day ticket day, £33 instead of £48 on Sat/Sun!

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

It’s a great event but not a patch on the Revival. Revival is more exciting and atmospheric but there is maybe less going on..

ex-pat
    Free Member

If you’re anywhere near Prescott hill climb, then the national champs there are ace:
    http://www.prescott-hillclimb.com/

And unlike the Goodwood one it’s more open, like walking around the paddock.
    And of course there’s less people.

PeterStarkiss
    Free Member

Muffin Man.

If you are really into cars, their history and the people associated with them you may enjoy the festival of speed.

If you have a passing interest and you do not recognise someone driving a significant vehicle the whole event may mean nothing.

If you are a car anorak and happy to pay the extra money for a seat that means you can see what is happening rather than watching it on the screens
    you will really enjoy yourself.

When we went there were straw barricades alongside the track that meant you could not see anything unless you paid an extra £20ish for a seat in one of the grandstands.

This Sunday we went to the Goodwood Breakfast Club meeting, which was far more interesting, free to get in and an ever changing display of vehicles that you can see, talk to the owners and all very friendly.

surfer
    Free Member

Tis brilliant. I went last year but cant make this year. It was a great weekend (camping)

Spawn

It is an excellent weekend and the camping facilites are great and you as visitors are well catered for. We went last year and have already got tickets for the revival in september.. can’t wait..

LordSummerisle
    Free Member

and for anyone more northern who doesnt fancy a long drive to goodwood, then theres the Pagent of Power at Cholmondeley Castle, Cheshire
    Tis starting to build into a similar event as FoS

surfer
    Free Member

and for anyone more northern who doesnt fancy a long drive to goodwood, then theres the Pagent of Power at Cholmondeley Castle, Cheshire
    Tis starting to build into a similar event as FoS

Yup! Going there!

one_bad_mofo

This year at the FoS, Pete Fonda will be riding a replica of the Captain America bike from Easy Rider up the hill climb course. Should be interesting to see a 70-year old actor riding a chopper up *that* course.

srrc
    Free Member

It’s a grand day out. Go saturday is good advice.
    Most people are lazy so the further up the hill you walk the more room there is.
    The highlight for me was from 3 or 4 years ago when the SA Jumbo came over for a flypast and started doing aerobatics. Wheels were coming down, flaps out, all sorts of buzzers and lights must have been going off in the cock pit. He finished by standing it on it’s tail and spiralling upwards into the clouds. Stunning. Must have spilt some champers in 1st class.
    Having said that I still prefer the Revival in the autumn. You need 2 days really,it’s much more than just the racing, so much to take in. Go out to the entrance to the St Marys complex and watch them throw those big Jags and Astons into the right hander. Sideways 200 m before the corner and still hit the apex perfectly.
    Wear a jacket and tie and wander the pits.
    Wonderful

49er_Jerry
    Free Member

This will be my third year of the FoS. Going for all three days this time. There is really so much to see and hear if you enjoy cars and bikes. The atmosphere is fantastic. It is busy, but not oppressively so. All the visitors seem to be real enthusiasts with no sign of a chav element anywhere.
    The highlights for me include going to the Paddocks, especially Cathedral Paddock as the mechanics start the cars and warm them up. Talking to the guys who own and run these pieces of history is great, but nothing compared to standing next to these exquisite pieces of machinery as the roar into life.

The rally stage at the top of the hill is great too. Everything from Paddy Hopkirk rolling one of his winning Minis (last year), the group B cars from the 80s current WRC cars. The older cars are often driven by there period drivers. Very special.

OK, you get the picture…

Revival – Also a must.

davey99
    Free Member

Went the first 8/9 years, however does seem to be getting too crowded and pricey for a family of 4. Friday is my favourite day, still treasure my pic taken with Barry Sheene and Giacomo Agostini,fascinating to watch a 1500cc V16 BRM being started, and being deafened by a 125cc Honda V8 motorbike from 1965, but these days much prefer Shelsey Walsh and Prescott hill climbs, especially vintage meets.
    Like Goodwood used to be, worth going just to have a look round the car park.
    D.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Goodwood Festival of Speed…’ is closed to new replies.