Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Living/Working in Barcelona
  • trek77
    Free Member

Probable Job offer for Barcelona, it would be a 3-5 Year company delegation thing.
    So any cost of living delta would be covered.
    At first sight it seems a really nice place, definitely mountainbiking seems covered.

Anyone have any thoughts/experience, would be moving with 2 children 11-7 so an english school would be important. Little bit worried about moving the Kids but @11 it should still be ok.

Cheers

deadkenny
    Free Member

Obviously, assuming you’re a UK citizen, there’s Brexit to consider at least. Then there’s Catalonian independence stuff.

MTB and nice surroundings, food and culture may outweigh any of this though.

trek77
    Free Member

At a pinch the company would sort out the VISA stuff – I guess it wouldn’t be much in the scheme of things. I’m in Munich anyway so Brexit is a pre-existing condition!
    Just had a chat with the guy I should replace – I thought english (or German) would be
    enough, but Spanish is pretty important – so might be an issue.

poolman
    Free Member

I was in Barcelona last week as a friend is living and working there. He works for a German company so has to speak German, English, castellano and Catalan. He is bright but is really struggling with Catalan.

Anyway, I have been a few times now as live in Spain, I find Barcelona pretty much on par with london living costs. Thats ok if you earn london money but a lot of spanish dont.

A friend ages ago lived in San cugat, what a lovely spot it was so like richmond sw london, but with better weather and Barcelona on your doorstep. Top money though but thats demand and supply for you.

Good luck, do your research, get some local knowledge.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

You could find a place in somewhere like Sitges which is a short train journey in.

andos

Ive been working there for 3 years (commuting weekly from UK), have plenty of colleagues who live there with families on contracts. Most seem to send their kids to the British school in Gava, then live somewhere between the airport and Sitges to the south of Barcelona. The train stops in Sitges, Gava etc but its not the fastest considering the short distance, but its cheap compared to uk train prices. Traffic is bad during rush hour going into the city from all directions. Ive lived and worked in many places and Barcelona is still one of my favourite- multi-cultural, people friendly, good food, beaches, mountains etc, never felt like an outsider and I speak very little Spanish and no Catalan. Im told the admin for non Spanish speakers is difficult for banking etc, check what your company offers in terms of assistance for healthcare etc. Happy to answer any more specific questions.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

You can survive in Barcelona without speaking Catalan but I would strongly advise learning Castilian Spanish. We live out in the country South of Barcelona and Catalan is the main language but people are very friendly and even the most vocal independentista will speak Spanish to us. Castelldefels is a good place to live and commute, depends where you will be working relative to the city centre. We moved here 4 years ago and don’t regret it for a minute. As above, if you need advice on beaurocracy etc, give me a shout.

Edukator
    Free Member

I worked in Barcelona in 89-90. As Schrick and othes suggest we lived in Sitges and commuted in. It’s changed a lot since and not realy for the better. It’s more expensive, the tensions are more noticeable. I wouldn’t go back. I learned Castillano with some Catalan and have forgotten most of it but it comes rushing back when I get annoyed. It could be quite annoying whether it was the administration, the bank, the boss, the RENFE, the umpteen police forces, the late night revelers, the idiots smashing the lights on the car, the nnnnnnnnniiiiiinnnggggg of scooters, the pollution, the drug dealers. If you aren’t street wise now you will be before long.

The center of Barcelona is now full of tourists and pick pockets, the locals have fled, the once thriving market sells fruit juice for the tourists.

Do it despite all that, live a bit.

Castelldefels

I remember Creatura, 7a, a climb on the crag up the hill.

I still like Spain, northern Spain.

poolman
    Free Member

Top tip I got from my mate was carry a decoy wallet – it’s got an old library card and 10e in, and an old smartfone. You see such showy behaviour from tourists if you are street smart you ‘re ok. The tourist bits like the lower ramblas are like Oxford st, I found places like grazia quite residential.

Prices are eye watering for the unwary. I love going but do loads of research first. I suppose it’s just like any city in the respect.

Edukator
    Free Member

Top tip I got from my mate was carry a decoy wallet – it’s got an old library card and 10e in

Sure you didn’t read that on here? 😉

avdave2

Just to illustrate what’s happened to Barcelona I was working there last week and was asked if I wanted the vegan version of the veggie burger I’d ordered! 20 years ago I was working in Seville and talking to a waitress who was telling me she was vegetarian, pretty rare then in Spain, and that they didn’t even have a word for vegan in Spanish. Now in Barcelona vegetarian and vegan food are readily available, don’t know what the worlds coming too!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Living/Working in Barcelona’ is closed to new replies.