Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Little fat bikes . . .
  • mamadirt
    Free Member

. . . there aren’t many about 😕

Becoming more and more fat-curious but a 26er is just gonna be too big for me (can’t afford an xs Mukluk 😛 ). I have my eye on the On-One baby fatty and keeping my fingers crossed for a New Year discount code but is there anything else out there? Mondraker Panzer 24 looks interesting but is probably aimed at smaller folk than me judging by the small frame and short cranks. Similarly the cheap as chips 24″ Coyote looks like a fun project but again short cranks, rubbish kit and heavy steel frame and undrilled rims will probably mean that I’d spend more in upgrades than the bike.

I’m just bored . . . it’s my birthday, it’s raining, I have money to spend and I haven’t had a beer yet 😛

scotroutes

I’d really, really, really think about buying a 24″ fatbike. Tyre choice is just as critical with 4″ tyres and there’s little option in that size. Just concerned that it might be a false economy.

johnnystorm

I thought the same as ScotRoutes when looking for swmbo. The baby fatty has vee missions on and nobody has ever had a good word to say about them!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Happy Birthday

tuboflard

Specialized do one too, you might still have the same issues as you would with the Coyote in that finishing kit is all a bit rubbish;

http://www.specializedconceptstore.co.uk/fatboy-24/38019/16fatboy

That said, I’ve got the standard Specialized Fatboy;

http://www.specializedconceptstore.co.uk/fatboy/38011/16fatboy

and apart from a few upgrades (put SLX brakes on, dropper post and carbon bars) its as per factory and its bloody great. The Ground Control tyres are superb too. You could probably pick up some decent enough upgrade parts of eBay for not a lot and still come in well under a grand for the lot (I sold the Tektro hydraulic brakes off mine on there for just £21 brand new with pads).

mamadirt
    Free Member

Cheers all 😀

Good point re the tyres – damn, just seen the price of replacement 26″ tyres too . . . sheesh 😯

Just spotted the Specialized Helga . . .

May have to save a few pennies though.

Seems to be far more choice in USA (Trek Farley 24, Norco and Charge Cooker 24 – all awesome looking little bikes).

rOcKeTdOg

that spesh looks like a lot of fun!

officerfriendly
    Free Member

I’m selling an XS Muluk, SS, £800 (:

takisawa2

Taz bought his lad a small Fatty, German I think.
    Might be worth looking him up.
    He’s on Faceache regularly with a sinister looking new toy.

mamadirt
    Free Member

@officerfriendly – that Mukluk looks cool 8)

Looks like this may be an exercise in patience 😕 Finance is not really an option at the mo’ but hey, if things work out it may be worth waiting until Easter’s USA trip unless I can find a 24″er that these will fit (used a pair briefly on a 24″ DJ bike – heavy but grippy and super-wide with barely any clearance but probably not wide enough for fatbike rims).

JoeG
    Free Member

24″ tires are definitely the weak spot. I was happy to see Specialized making a 24″ fat tire. Then I looked at the specs. 😐

The Ground Control Fat tire uses similar knob shapes as the narrower versions in order to offer the best climbing, braking, and cornering traction for your fat bike excursions. No matter the conditions, you’ll be able to ride with confidence and maximize your enjoyment.

Casing: 120 TPI for 26″; 60 TPI for 20″ and 24″
    Bead: Foldable for 26″; wire for 20″ and 24″; 26 x 4.0″ Butyl wrapped bead = 2Bliss Ready
    Compound: 60a
    20 x 4.0″; Max Ride 15 psi / Max Install 25 psi; approximate weight 1090g
    24 x 4.0″; Max Ride 15 psi / Max Install 25 psi; approximate weight 1335g
    26 x 4.0″; Max ride 15 psi / Max install 25 psi
    26 x 4.6″; psi 5-20; approximate weight 1450g

Al least the little ones are only $40. 😡

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/ftb/mtb-tires/xc-trail-tires/ground-control-fat

rOcKeTdOg

Mama, as you will probably saw off the hanger anyway how about
    http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/se-bikes-fat-ripper-26-487187

tazzymtb

Depends how dinky you are mama? My partner rides a 16″ pug happily and shes 5ft 3, also tried the 14″ surly oug and ict and she loved bith if those as well, but felt the tt was a little short. I got a killer deal on a german fatbike for my boy as well, 24″ wheels so 26″ with fat 4″ rubber, alloy frame, drilled rims, etc…

would alao be worth checking the original small oo fatty as well as the had massive standover clearance so you may well fit it comfortably with a short stem.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Oooooh decisions – some good info there – cheers folks 🙂

That Ripper is cool! 8)

Hadn’t considered a 26″ On-One but at not a lot more than the 24″er and with decent looking tyres it may be a better option (I’m 5’2″ btw). Still drawn to the tinyness of the fun fatty though 😕

mamadirt
    Free Member

No help for me but this looks a bargain for bigger folk . . . Charge Cooker Maxi 1 2015

rOcKeTdOg

this is for sale on the UK fat bike forum (sml “cadbury”) £550

mamadirt
    Free Member

Oooooh that is lovely 😛 Still waiting for my membership to be approved.

rOcKeTdOg

i’ve put a link to this thread on the FB forum

lightman
    Free Member

You don’t need a small wheeled fatty, you will be fine on a small framed normal fatty.
    My friend who is around your hight, had a shot of my small OO Fatty and the only issue was the 130mm stem being to long. With a shorter stem, it would’ve fitted her perfectly.

gibbonarms
    Free Member

Thanks for the plug rocketdog:
    Here it is…..

Small frame, steel forks both powdercoated in luxurious Cadbury’s Purple with drilled OO wheels to give it a flavour of ‘Cadbury’s Twirl’
    Lots of upgrades from an original fatty removing the problematic and weak parts of the stock build:
    Surly BFL 4.7 tyres set up ghetto tubeless with sealant on drilled and powdercoated OO rims.
    Avid BB7 mtn mechanical disk brakes
    Salsa black fliplock qr levers (which wont try and kill you like the original OO ones do)
    Sram 1×10 (32T) and standard OO finishing kit
    (Carbon OO fork also available for extra if required)

£550/cash on collection preferred but can package for a courier if required, any questions then ask away.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Wow, that really is very nice! counts pennies 😛

nedrapier

speak to shaggy?

highlandman
    Free Member

Mama, as you’re 5’2″, I’m another who reckons on you being fine on a S 26″ O-O fatty.
    My Mrs is smaller than you and has happily ridden a pal’s one that size with a short stem.
    Them Surly tyres on Gibbon’s option above are heavy but the whole build sounds very nice indeed. There’s nowt wrong with the QRs on the Fatty, in my experience. Although I changed my front to a Shimano, just in case…..

mamadirt
    Free Member

Stick the wheels off Shaggy’s bike onto gibbonarms’ and that would look amazing 😛

Currently have one of these in my basket too – $849 shipped from USA . . .

But this is pretty damn perfect . . . well, OK, probably too big even in small but check out those indigenous toptube decals 😛

Truth is, realistically I can afford burger all until I know for sure that I won’t lose any work this year but hey, I can always sell stuff 😳

mamadirt
    Free Member

Ooooooook, so it’s fatbike voucher code day 😛 and it appears that Rutland have 24″ Spesh Ground Control Fats in stock . . . hmmmmmm

mamadirt
    Free Member

On-One Baby Fatty now awaiting build 😛 but thought it worthwhile posting this interesting real world long-term review for future tiny fat bike searches Framed Mini-Sota. I had seriously considered the Mini also but price-wise with UK shipping it came out pretty much the same as the On-One with the January voucher code, with the On-One edging it with hydraulic brakes as opposed to cable.

johnnystorm

I’d rather have bb5s than similar value avid hydraulic brakes! 😆

mamadirt
    Free Member

Well, it’s arrived 😛 Weighs a touch over 34lbs so feels light compared to the Bottlerocket 😆

I’m off to find some sand . . .

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Here’s me & my lad.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/yrTm3G]Mark & me, Gunnerside, Oct 3rd 2015[/url] by jimmyg352, on Flickr

Ooops, thought the title was little fat blokes!

mamadirt
    Free Member

Ha ha, looking good! 😆

. . . and I found some sand . . . well more like mud really but hey

I loves it! 😛

JoeG
    Free Member

mamadirt – Member

Well, it’s arrived Weighs a touch over 34lbs

On the original Fatty, the tubes were the thickest and heaviest tubes that I’d ever seen. Assuming that’s the case with yours, then go tubeless, or at least switch to some lighter tubes.

And drill the rims. 😉

mamadirt
    Free Member

Cheers, definitely worth thinking about. Been trawling though this thread on mtbr.com . . . I feel some fluoro pink rim tape coming on 😳

JoeG
    Free Member

I was too lazy to drill mine. 😳

I put Sun Mulefut rims on it with a white Surly rim strip.

lightman
    Free Member

Don’t forget to change the tyres, the Missions are one of the worst tyres out there!

rOcKeTdOg

Your snow looks a funny colour 😉

igm

If anyone makes 24″ carbon tubeless fat rims you can take a couple of kilos out of the wheels.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Ha ha, at a price. Nah, the weight doesn’t bother me at all. Been commuting on the Bottlerocket for the last month or so, so this feels like a breeze.

Must admit I wasn’t expecting miracles from the tyres but I’m running them at pretty low pressure – front is not too bad but I may swap out the rear as it wasn’t brilliant in the slop.

Still no snow 🙁 so may take a trip to the pump track today.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Little fat bikes . . .’ is closed to new replies.