Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 171 total)
  • Listening to music made by artists who’ve turned out to be wrong’uns
  • 5plusn8
    Free Member

Taxi25 Yeah I get that, but I mean they are hardly heroes, its not brave and selfless to live your dream and become a rich and famous superstar..

taxi25
    Free Member

@edukator.
    His politics aren’t universaly popular.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2010/jul/21/john-lydon-pil-palestinians

I’d still love to know what’s wrong with Roger Waters ?

failedengineer

I’m surprised no-one’s mentioned Eric Clapton. His outburst sparked the Red Wedge movement in the 70s didn’t it? His excuse was drink and drugs.

Edukator
    Free Member

Nor are Noel Gallagher’s politics universally popular but I enjoy listening to him all the same. Rotten, Gallagher and Adam Boulton to moderate the debate, I’d watch that.

Edit: and what was wrong with red wedge?

senorj

I don’t mind s bit of Snoop/Dre tbh, do they count?
    Not bothered with Ryan Adams since he was outed as a duffer. Shame.

failedengineer

Nothing was wrong with Red Wedge, it was a good thing. It was Clapton’s nasty comments which drove Billy Bragg etc to tackle racism.

outofbreath
    Free Member

I’m surprised no-one’s mentioned Eric Clapton. His outburst sparked the Red Wedge movement in the 70s didn’t it? His excuse was drink and drugs.

Googling that lead me to this:

Sid Vicious and Siouxsie Sioux were sporting swastikas as fashion statements. David Bowie, who three months earlier had been photographed apparently giving a Nazi salute in Victoria Station, told Cameron Crowe in the September 1976 edition of Playboy ‘… yes I believe very strongly in fascism. The only way we can speed up the sort of liberalism that’s hanging foul in the air… is a right-wing totally dictatorial tyranny…’ In that same interview Bowie claimed that ‘Adolf Hitler was one of the first rock stars.’

What the hell was going on in ’76???

…and googling Jimmy Page and Bowie lead me to this:

From Bowie To Page, Lori Maddox Was Rock N’ Roll’s Most Notorious – And Underage – Groupie

DezB
    Free Member

and googling Jimmy Page and Bowie lead me to this

Yep… as I said on page 1.

deadkenny
    Free Member

I don’t think Hitler recorded many songs.

Edukator
    Free Member

What the hell was going on in ’76???

People just said what they thought rather than dress it up as they do today. People are every bit as racist but find others ways of expressing it, by voting for example. People didn’t do very well on a racist ticket back then now they do. Thinly veiled racism is still racism:

Edukator
    Free Member

00:49

BruceWee

I think Nick Cave is spot on.

I think he was spot on ten years ago when most of my listening was done on CDs. Now most of my listening is done on spotify and every play gives money to shady people (or their rights owners).

Dunno what the solution is. Pirate Bay and then play from local files via spotify? Is it OK to steal music to avoid giving money to despicable individuals who happen to have made really good music?

nickc

If we stopped listening and reading and looking at art made by wrong uns, we’d soon run out. Paul Gaugain, TS Elliot, Conrad, Caravaggio Ted Hughes all be in the bin.

DezB
    Free Member

Dunno what the solution is

I buy most of my CDs (non-new artists) from eBay. Only Music Magpie gets any money then (hopefully their CEO isn’t a Tory).

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

^ Yes that lower left window is entirely ‘off.’ The perspective is evil af and it has 7 panes where the others have only 6. It feels like that one window is not only looking at you, but right through you

*shudder*

avdave2

So who can put together the best Wrong Un compilation tape?

Probably going to need peodophilia, murder, racism, beastiality and fascism to have any chance of winning.

bigmountainscotland
    Free Member

No doubt there’s plenty of the folk who edit MTB vids lurking on here; they generally have a pretty good grasp of music…

That kind of challenge should be right up their street!!

DezB
    Free Member

So who can put together the best Wrong Un compilation tape?

If it means listening to stuff by Jonathan King, Rolf Harris and (urrggh!) the Lost Prophets, I’m out!

But without actually listening to the music, there would be a fantastic list:

Jerry Lee Lewis
    Johnny Cash
    James Brown
    The Who
    The Kinks
    Gary Glitter
    Michael Jackson
    The Smiths (I disagree, but they started it)
    R Kelly (only Ignition, obv)
    50 Cent (dunno what he was in prison for)

DezB
    Free Member

Started a Youtube playlist…

Wrong’uns

failedengineer

I thought Johhny Cash was on the side of the angels? Didn’t the white supremacists go after him once?

tjagain

Jonny cash – bit of a wife beater was he not? Certainly a philanderer.

DezB
    Free Member

Not sure about “beater” – I thought he shot her! – or threatened his wife with a gun. Can’t find any reference to it, so maybe I made it up !

outofbreath
    Free Member

Certainly a philanderer.

Collecting stamps isn’t a crime!

Harry_the_Spider

Wow. Didn’t know that Eric Gill ****ed everything including his sister, kids and dog.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

@malvern rider

He wasn’t that bad a painter…

greatbeardedone
    Free Member
    greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Gaahl and Infernus.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Prison didn’t stop him recording.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I have a similar conundrum with the acting of Kevin Spacey….

…But you know turns out he’s a horrible creepy bastard?

You do know the entire case against him collapsed 3 months ago after the “victim’s” mother was found to have deleted key text messages?

In December 2018, Spacey was charged with a felony for allegedly sexually assaulting journalist Heather Unruh’s 18-year-old son in Nantucket, Massachusetts, in July 2016.[117] Spacey pleaded not guilty to the charge on January 7, 2019.[125][126] Unruh’s son told police he was texting with his girlfriend throughout the alleged “groping” incident. Spacey’s defense attorneys spent months trying to obtain copies of the texts and the phone itself. In mid-May 2019, her son’s personal attorney informed the court that the cell phone in question is “missing”.[127] On June 4, 2019, the defense learned that when Unruh gave her son’s cell phone to police in 2017, she admitted she had deleted some of the text messages.[127] Later that month, her son filed a lawsuit against Spacey, claiming emotional damages. On July 5, 2019, he voluntarily dismissed the claims with prejudice.[128]

On July 17, 2019, the criminal assault charge against Spacey was dropped by the Cape and Islands prosecutors.[129]

ruminant
    Free Member

Yep Eric Gill was a firm believer of keeping it in the family!

Wrong is wrong, but what I find difficult at times is the need to go back in history and apply modern values to vilify historical figures, unfortunately stuff we don’t like or do was excepted and in some cases legal until society changed and grew, look forward.

funkmasterp

He touched me there by the wrong uns is actually a good album and band name.

Can’t believe James Brown hasn’t been mentioned yet. He’s different from all the others mentioned so far in one way though. He’s not shit. Also (not unlike Sly Stone) his antics are more utterly insane than evil. Funk must **** you up

BillMC

Ike Turner
    Ginger Baker

Waters gets mentioned presumably because of his stance on Palestine and BDS (like Eno). Makes him a bit more of a good’un than Yorke or Rotten who were happy to play for the apartheid state.

Riksbar

As a fan of old skool hip hop, I had a fantastic night listening to DJ Shadow and Cut Chemist playing Afrika Bambaata’s vinyl collection. I even bought the t-shirt with a big Bambaata graphic on it.

Then the news came out about Afrika Bambaata’s activists with young boys. Definitely a wrong ‘un, but absolutely interfaith the history of music I love.

bob_summers

Any mention of Poulton le Fylde’s finest yet?

DezB
    Free Member

Yorke or Rotten who were happy to play for the apartheid state.

As did The Who and Queen at the peak of it. I shall add these to my playlist. It’s an open playlist, so get adding!
    Wrong’uns

Yorke or Rotten who were happy to play for the apartheid state.

Hang on, did they? ‘Rise’ was an anti-apartheid song, I thought… Anger is an energy.

DezB
    Free Member

Can’t believe James Brown hasn’t been mentioned ye

Maybe not in the thread, but he’s in the playlist (oh, I listed him in the playlist post too 🙂

funkmasterp

Lead Belly murdered a man and got pardoned because he wrote a sweet blues tune. Also served time before that and escaped. Wrong un or badass?

Kryton57

I refuse to listen to R Kelly.   Also after the scandal involving little girls.

DezB
    Free Member

Its just music, it doesn’t change lives.

I don’t quite know how to express my contempt for such cluelessness.

tomd
    Free Member

Wrong is wrong, but what I find difficult at times is the need to go back in history and apply modern values to vilify historical figures, unfortunately stuff we don’t like or do was excepted and in some cases legal until society changed and grew, look forward.

This +1, although some of the wrong ‘uns in this thread were wrong then, now and probably forever.

George Washington is a good example of this. Founding father of America etc etc and proud owner and trader of slaves. It doesn’t get mentioned that often, but in a histrocial context sort of makes sense.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 171 total)

The topic ‘Listening to music made by artists who’ve turned out to be wrong’uns’ is closed to new replies.