Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Lino removal help!!!
  • Shakey
    Free Member

Hi All,

As part of our kitchen improvements we intend to tile the floor. Only problem is that our builder has said that the lino needs to be removed.

Anybody know of any easy methods or tips or is it just a nightmare job that will take a long time?

Thanks Shakey

MrNutt
    Free Member

take the roof off and set fire to it.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Is it proper stuck down? Like it’s welded to the floor?

Then it’ll be a right bastard and a half, to get rid. I have bitter memories of chipping away at the stuff with a chiselly thing, and it was coming off in 1cm square bits, at a time. Utterly soul destroying.

MrNutt
    Free Member

take the roof off and set fire to it. its the only way, ether that borrow a goat?

tonyv
    Free Member

If is stuck/glued down, then a flat blade spade works nicely. Just slide the spade at a shallow angle and use a bit of muscle.

llama

I’ve done this twice in this house

The first time I chipped away with a chisel then sanded the boards underneath. Took a long time. A very long time.

The second time I pulled up the boards and replaced them with new. Much quicker. Of course, only going to help if it is on boards.

If the lino is very well stuck down then tile over it.

Shakey
    Free Member

The Lino is on screed and want to get it up as I want to stick it down with proper/3 hour adhesive and not the 48 hour stuff if we tile over the lino.

The spade approach seems to work but not in all places!

stompy

soften it with an iron, should ease the adhesive a little bit and then give it some wit ol spade 🙄

joe1983
    Free Member

Go to B&Q, they should sell a floor scraper for 10ish quid. Basically a sharp heavy metal blade on the end of a long wooden pole. Works at treat – I was ripping out tesco cafe’s and had to take up huge areas of the stuff last year. Watch your eyes tho as the stuff is lethal.

dropoff

Hi Mate. This is what you need scraper And to use it you need to heat it with a blow torch to melt thru’ the adhesive, no probs.

Christowkid
    Free Member

I’ve also used a 1″ flat bladed paint scraper. Yes it took ages, but I got it all off!
    B&Q used to do a nice thin flexible bladed one, if you run a file over it and keep an edge, it will get it all off, it just takes time, like all quick jobs!
    cheers
    Q

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Lino removal help!!!’ is closed to new replies.