Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Limestone Way – anyone ridden it all?
  • chevychase

Thinking of getting up early, getting the train to Uttoxeter and then riding up the length of the limestone way.  It’ll be about 50 miles into Castleton, so I’d be broken by the time I got to Cave Dale on my gnar-poon enduro monster (one bike quiver at the moment as Cotic stupidly only brought over four XL solaris’ from taiwan…)

Talk me out of it.  Anyone done it?  I know it’s a popular long distance walk, but it *is* technically a bridleway…

Other than my bike, I’d be taking a hydration pack, and my credit card…

jekkyl

No experience of it but interested in your experience. Is it just Tissington trail to high Peak trail plus some gravel and tarmac?I can’t find an OS map of it online.

How you planning to get home? / back to the car? Stay over and ride back….? Therefore bagging yourself a night away by yourself including evening meal and associated drinking? 😎👍

chevychase

There’s a few GPXs and the routes on the LDWA website here.

Mostly farmers fields by the looks of it, but as things are mad dry at the moment it can’t be *that* tough going.

Aye, bird is down south, train to Uttoxeter, get into Castleton, either decide to stay or get train home.  Presuming I make it that far of course – I felt my hamstring last night whilst up above Ladybower 🙂

benman
    Free Member

Not sure how you think it’s a bridleway? Most of it is a footpath, and you will be lifting over a stile at each end of every field…

Garry_Lager

Yeah that sounds like a project chevychase – it’s predominately a footpath like benman says. Gates and stiles all over the show, getting the stinkeye from walkers (although the White peak is generally more chilled in that regard), farmers telling you to do one etc.

You could try it and see how you go, if it sucks then just get on the Pennine bw or the Tissington trail which run roughly in the same direction.

chevychase

Just looked here which says “limestone way is a long distance bridleway”… :\

*googles maps*

Edit:  🙁

OS maps does indeed indicate footpath.   Dang.  22:50hrs and I was about to buy my train ticket.

jekkyl

Do it anyway. Fp bw is all bollocks. You’re not going to get a criminal record or go to jail

chevychase

If I’m going to ride footpaths I leave it to weekdays.  Maybe one for another time 😉

benman
    Free Member

I’m all for riding cheeky trails – it’s just that most of the limestone way will be crossing boring fields with a stile at either side. I wouldn’t bother myself, far better cheeky stuff to ride in the area.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Limestone Way – anyone ridden it all?’ is closed to new replies.