• This topic has 81 replies, 47 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by StuE.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)
  • Like many I have plans to go for a ride today, but here’s why I wont
  • tomd
    Free Member

It is exactly the point. If you make a blanket rule that makes no sense in lots of people’s context it’s unlikely to be embraced in a sustainable way.

We’re avoiding unnecessary contact, not seeing the grandparents (big loss as the kids normally see them 3-4 times a week), no travelling, w@h, holidays cancelled, no schools, no nursery.

Taking it upon myself to harm my physical and mental wellbeing by avoiding the empty forest is not high on my list right now.

Klunk
    Free Member

Why hasn’t football restarted on the basis of 2m spacing within crowds ? football gets it! it’s not about personal entitlement it’s about the collective good.

Dickyboy

We’re avoiding unnecessary contact, me & the Mrs stopping riding our tandem round the lanes is pretty damn low contact scenario.

imnotverygood

Why hasn’t football restarted on the basis of 2m spacing within crowds ? football gets it!

Because they know it would be impossible to enforce. I accept that the problem is that people abuse the situation & fail to maintain social distance. I also accept that because of this a lockdown is inevitable. But as far as I am concerned, if I am doing it correctly I’ll continue to ride outside until it is banned because I am not spreading the virus.

Klunk
    Free Member

I am doing it correctly I’ll continue to ride outside until it is banned because I am not spreading the virus.

ffs

tomd
    Free Member

Shite analogy between watching a football match and going out for a run from your front door.

Football is a business for a start, and social contact is unavoidable in a football stadium.

The greater good, whatever that is, could arguably be best served by keeping as healthy and sane as possible for as long as possible while following all relevant government advice.

Out of interest, what other bits of official government advice on this crisis do you recommend disregarding?

Klunk
    Free Member

Out of interest, what other bits of official government advice on this crisis do you recommend disregarding?

lol

supernova

Thousands of extra people will die in the next month because of the way we’ve behaved in this country this weekend. Mostly due to twits in London going to markets etc., but still, we share collective responsibility.

Klunk
    Free Member

Because they know it would be impossible to enforce. I accept that the problem is that people abuse the situation & fail to maintain social distance

🙂 normalizing

epicyclo

I’m lucky. 200 metres approx of tarmac and I’m on the foothills of a mountain in the Highlands. I have yet to meet anyone when out on various deer tracks, and I can ride a 40 mile loop like that.

I don’t know if it applies for this virus, but access to sunshine and open air improved recovery rates for Spanish Flu quite substantially.

I’d hate to live in or near a city.

slowoldman

there’s none but that’s not the point is it, we should perhaps arrange a group ride all 2 meters apart through london. See how that goes down, you know just to rub it in cos we can :/

Rub it in to who? The same applies to walkers or runners. Keep a sensible distance apart. That’s what all those people out over the weekend failed to do, on hills, on beaches, in towns and villages. So if total lockdown, no going out, does come in, it will be due to them not me and my partner going out for a ride round the lanes on our own.

I did my food shop yesterday, which unless I’m mistaken we would still be allowed to do under a lockdown regime, and came into contact with many more people than I had for the week before which included 4 bike rides.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Klunk, have a word with yourself, you’ve lost it.

Klunk
    Free Member

Klunk, have a word with yourself, you’ve lost it.

perhaps, ride yer bike don’t ride yer bike It’s another one of those flagging threads where to find a selfish ****.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Get the sentiment, not a fan of the abuse though. Still, I haven’t been outside for a week so today was a relief to see the sun, the mud and taste the world again. Definitely loads more people out in my local woods than I’d seen up there before. Social distancing firmly in place though, we aren’t a tourist destination.

martymac

I was in Edinburgh yesterday, (i drive a coach)
    I saw more bikes yesterday afternoon than i ever do on the busiest summer day.
    It was literally unbelievable.
    I think klunk does actually have a point,
    You go for a ride, see 2 people in total, they see you riding and that becomes‘normal’
    So they think it’s ok to go for a ride.

Klunk
    Free Member

not a fan of the abuse though.

yeah sorry about that. blame on the box of 12 red my FIL got us last monday.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Yup don’t see why klunk is having a hard time here. What he said was going for a ride normalises it, people see it and think “great idea I’ll ring Al and TomD and organise a group ride” that was definitely happening yesterday. So ‘m secretly riding in the dead of night… Or more accurately eating chocolate on the sofa.

And the number of gnarpoons on cars driving past my hoose to go to glentress/inners was crazy. Hooning round the trails isn’t cycling for exercise its deciding your own enjoyment trumps the advice we’re being given.

In summation excercise good but there is a good point made by klunk thats been roundly shouted down. There is a balance to all these things.

timbog160

But just what point is Klunk making? Seems to be saying don’t ride or walk anywhere, even if you’re by yourself and in a very remote location – am I right here? I have no argument whatsoever with saying those going up Snowdon in a coach party are irresponsible, but that doesn’t appear to be Klunk’s point, so what is it exactly?

tomd
    Free Member

He’s making a very, very stretched consequentialist ethical judgement that the act of going for a bike ride on your own in the woods is wrong because:

– Someone might see you going for a ride
    – That person might think that going for a bike ride is normal
    – That person then does not go on a bike ride on their own, but organises a group ride or travels unnecessarily to go on a bike ride

So basically my action is wrong because of something someone else may or may not do, based on them observing me doing something and deciding to do something else.

An ethical construction so convoluted it would embarrass St Thomas Aquinas.

erictwinge
    Free Member

i dont know about anyone else but i dont really watch or read the news, or look at the forums or social media over a weekend (especially when its stops raining for the first time in months) that stuff is weekday procrastination fodder… logging in online from home this morning and perusing my usual sites and threads, i must say i feel a bit guilt shamed by it all.

i dont think i acted against any government advice; rode solo on friday, spent most of the ride just digging actually. rode in a group of 3 on saturday, but bumped into another pair we know making it 5. (never bloody get as many as 5 together normally) we rode in the local woods from our front doors and generally kept our distance. also this weekend i went to B&Q and the LBS. B&Q was madness, busiest ive ever seen it. i wore gloves and quickly grabbed what i needed and left. bike shop was busy too, i like to think im pretty good at bike maintenance but this was an emergency frame issue and i was still of the impression im gonna be riding loads over the next few weeks!! on Sunday we visited my mother, we sat in the garden and avoided contact but we were definitely not isolated.

I dont think weve been as idiotic as many but do feel we contributed to the problem a bit and will be stepping up the program as of today.

Klunk
    Free Member

if you can ride to the woods, I can drive to the beach.

tpbiker
    Free Member

I went for a road cycle yesterday on my own. Did pass my usual cycling budy going the other way and we stopped for a 5 min chat (2 meters apart) then went out seperate ways

Uploaded ride to strava, only to spot that the folks who I sometimes do the local club ride with had just ridden as a big group , just not called it a club ride.

These people come across a decent people in person, so why do they act like tits and insist on ignoring pretty clear advice. It’s because of folks like them that in a few days we may not be able to cycle at all..

tomd
    Free Member

if you can ride to the woods, I can drive to the beach.

If you can peel a potato, I can mow the lawn.

bruneep

well I went out for a 2hr ride this am at 7, met 1 jogger who stopped on trail to let me past.

Needed to get out for my own sanity

tomd
    Free Member

I bet that jogger is now on meetup organising a great big charity group bike ride. Hope you feel happy with yourself.

bruneep

Wtf are you on about?

I am ‘Kin delighted thanks. the pass took less than a couple of secs 🙄

jeezo…..she stood off trail and I flew past and I mean I was really flying cause I’m so rad 🤟.

tonyg2003

I rode in the Surrey Hills yesterday. Peaslake stores and Walking Bottom were packed. Lots of MTBers standing round in groups, as well as walkers of all ages. I rode through without stopping and had a food break up on the hills. Then today Peaslake stores have sent out a message saying that they will only serve villagers from now. Inevitable.

DezB
    Free Member

Wtf are you on about?

Sarcasm based on thread content, is my guess.

I_did_dab
    Free Member

Another thing to throw into the mix is that riding “high-risk” or remote trails could result in an injury that requires diverting resources from essential cases to you. Or maybe they’ll just leave you to rot on a hillside somewhere.
    Gentle solo or pairs road rides or mtb on forest paths only for me for the duration.

Rule 1 still applies – don’t be a dick.
    The nobber on our local news who drove from Manchester to the lakes intending to stay in the car, then stopped for an icecream because ‘you have to, really’ is a case in point.

tomd
    Free Member

@bruneep sorry it was a joke, apparently that’s what will happen if you go for a ride. You’ll lead other astray.

Mister-P
    Free Member

It was lovely and quiet out on the roads at just after 6 o’clock this morning. Might go out a bit earlier tomorrow morning though, just to make sure I am as far from folk as possible.

greenskin
    Free Member

Thing is, the simple request for people to exercise common sense didn’t work, much like the sneering condescension hasn’t worked either.

Just like their are idiots who can’t follow simple advice, there will always be miserable pricks letting us know how self-righteous they are.

Another happy COVID-19 day!

Klunk
    Free Member

don’t forget the selfish **** proclaiming how entitled they are.

greenskin
    Free Member

That’s standard though. But I haven’t seen too much of that, just mostly just self-righteous **** and stupid people unable to follow simple requests. To be honest, this episode is further reinforcing why I prefer dogs to people.

kcr
    Free Member

we share collective responsibility.

I don’t share any “collective responsibility” for people failing to practice social distancing.
    This is the same as the “riding through red lights gives us all a bad name” argument. It doesn’t. It gives the people flouting the rules a bad name.

boxelder

Fatality on Honister Pass yesterday. Big emergency response to a cyclist who crashed. Not sure how many potential transmission contacts were made. Sadly he didn’t end up using up one of the county’s 28 ICU beds. 5 deaths from CV19 in Cumbria already. Just saying.

monkeyboyjc

As the OP I’m wondering if anyone has changed there mind and won’t be riding this weekend??

I’ve had a manic week…..

Moved out of my house, away from my family, for potentially 6months. The wife has an autoimmune illness and is on the high risk 1.5mil crit list. So either we shut the shop or one of us moved out. This was within 14hrs of the last Sundays gov. announcement, 24hrs after I posted this to the forum. Packed bags, left.

Now the shop Is a attached to the house so the door between me and my wife and daughter is locked and alarmed from their side. However I can hear them, but can see them.

On top of that my customer base has tripped, over the week. So the shop is rapidly running out of stock, the shop is the only village shop for around a 3mile radius and now serves 8 or 9small villages filled with people working from home, in self isolation etc. Vast majority are over 70.

To top it off, each day, I’m getting double the amount of requests for home delivery. Which, a week ago I did myself after work (we have 3 regulars for home drop off that that was it) . This time next week I’m thinking 300+ in a week based on the phone calls and Web enquiries.

I’m trying to send staff home as they are either, also in the over 70s cat, or have familys themselves. Rather than put them and their family at risk by asking them to work in the shop.

So I’m working upto 18hr days, mostly my own where I can, trying to find and organise stock, run the shop, organise deliveries (only to the most vulnerable, you wouldn’t believe the requests), since I’ve moved on Monday about ive Seen the wife/daughter from distance 5m + or vid call only.

And…….

We are still getting people travelling to the village from near by towns and city’s, for a countryside walk or cycle, who then come in the shop. Touch all the stock have a chat. Etc. Who just don’t get it…..

So as I write this at 3am before going to work, any one still thinking about going for a ride this weekend?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Monkeyboy – good on you for doing a fantastic job. Do you have a local Facebook page? I am sure some one would volunteer to help you ?

Or even put a notice up in your window?

Non locals coming to your area is difficult and people really are not getting it, I don’t know how people will be persuaded not to be idiots.

luv2ride
    Free Member

I’d love to just get the chance to go out for even a short ride. Working for a local authority trying to keep essential services going has meant me putting in 15-16+ hour days, 7 days a week. Luckily I can work from home, but seeing the glorious riding weather outside the window has been doing my nut in. Hopefully, once plans are fully in place dust might settle a bit and we get the chance to switch off for short periods. If I do I’ll try to get in a road ride. By then I expect it’ll be raining, but I’ll take that! Still, maybe better to be busy and fully occupied than sat home doing nowt. A day off would be ace though….

monkeyboyjc

Yep with you luv2ride

Started at 3am, its now 8pm so a 17hr day today.

& The walkers stated at 6am in the village.

Hardest call today was an nhs staff member who is now in isolation with their family (as of last night), doesn’t have enough food to last until Monday. We are getting them a delivery 1st thing tomorrow.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘Like many I have plans to go for a ride today, but here’s why I wont’ is closed to new replies.