Home Forums Chat Forum Like a Fender Jazz Bass But Not…..

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Like a Fender Jazz Bass But Not…..
  • andykirk
    Free Member

Bassists of Singletrack

I have been playing a cheap bass for a while and have decided to get a ‘proper’ one – 4 string.

I have always like the tone of a Fender Jazz, but I would really like something with a natural matte/ satin wood finish, eg. a nice woodgrain Warwick. I know Fenders are available with a natural finish but in my opinion the new ones are all pretty ugly.

What basses are available in a nice woodgrain finish that might come close to the sound of a Jazz? Budget up to 1.5K. Thank you for any help.

RustyNissanPrairie

my bro in Oz has a US made Fender Jazz and a Ernieball bass – dont know which one but he loves it.

razorrazoo

MusicMan Stingray?

andykirk
    Free Member

Oh lord… the Warwicks look amazing! I am struggling to tell the difference between all the models though.

Northwind

I was struggling to find much in natural from Fender but it looks like there’s a pair of American Ultimates in aged natural- a jazz and a PJ. I’m a total sucker for a PJ bass, the Precision shape’s just so right and the mixed pickups give a good range as well as looking ace imo.

I had a Corvette for a while- the cheaper Rockbass model. I never really got totally used to the shape, though it wasn’t outright awkward like say a BC Rich, and the balance was good in a “body hangs loooow” nu metally sort of way. It was a really good bit of kit, lovely finish, and came immaculately set up from the factory- the active pickups weren’t the best mind, I think they’d cut a lot of corners there compared to the higher end models. But tbf if it hadn’t had the Rockbass label on it’d easily have passed for a more expensive instrument.

mattstreet

Old bass player friend of mine had a very nice Sadowsky J bass in a natural wood finish. Think he imported it from the US though so not sure how easy they are to get here – a quick Google looks like there’s a few about and in the price range. Could be worth a sniff.

Jakester
    Free Member

Old bass player friend of mine had a very nice Sadowsky J bass in a natural wood finish. Think he imported it from the US though so not sure how easy they are to get here – a quick Google looks like there’s a few about and in the price range. Could be worth a sniff.

Sadowsky entered into a deal with Warwick and the ones around £1.5k would be Chinese-built – apparently with very mixed reviews as to quality. You might just scratch a Japanese 2nd hand for that money though.

Warwicks hare great, but so SO expensive new now.

If you want a traditional style bass then as suggested above G&L are worth a look – the Tribute models are fantastic bang for your buck and the USA models stand up there with the best in terms of quality.

Don’t know where you are in the country but if you’re anywhere near the Midlands, a trip to Bass Direct should be on your radar…

sharkattack

If you know anyone who is a student with a Totum card you can get 20% off everything on the Fender website. Including Squier. That’s a nice slice off some very nice instruments.

luv2ride
    Free Member

I was going to say Musicman (I’ve got a 1982 Stingray in Honeyburst), but just looked at the G&L Tribute and I’d happily have that. That said, I picked up a Cort B5 Plus AS open pore with roasted maple neck for Christmas last year (discounted to £349). Its been brilliant, and use it more than my Stingray 4 string now. Not sure you need to spend a ton to get a quality, nice playing bass…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Like a Fender Jazz Bass But Not…..’ is closed to new replies.