• This topic has 22 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by jsync.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Lightweight base layers
  • lovewookie

I tend to ride throughout autumn to spring with varying thicknesses base layers under a 3L layer waterproof jacket. Allows me to vary the airflow and temperature by using the jacket vents and does pretty well at the early morning transition from dark 0 deg to light 8 degrees variability, as I run pretty warm most of the time anyway.

I’m sorted for base layers for below zero and around that. What I’m struggling with is finding something for slightly warmer conditions, the just under double figures riding.

I have a North Face Flight Series crew neck base layer which is pretty perfect, however gets a lot of use and after 10+ years is well past replacement.

It’s very lightweight and thin (see: https://bikemagic.com/cycling-clothing/the-north-face-flight-series-base-layer.html), but also discontinued, and the new lightweight stuff looks a bit too heavy for what I’m after. I guess I’m needing something that wicks very efficiently, but isn’t as thermally efficient as most?

so, STW collective, is there anything that is super thin, long sleeved and non compression?

frogstomp

Take a look at the Helly Hansen Lifa Active base layers. I’ve had one for years and it sounds like it’s what you are looking for.

vmgscot

I have some (old) Helly Hansen thinner base layers that work nicely for the conditions you mention. Can’t remember the model but they are not like the thicker LIFA ones I also tried and are not merino so one ride only before they honk.

footflaps

Take a look at the Helly Hansen Lifa Active base layers

+1

I wear their short sleeve one for milder cold days. They last decades, can’t even remember which decade I bought mine in!

lunge

You don’t say if you want long or short sleevves, but I’m in the camp that base layers are relatively simple things and so object tp spending much money on them, hence I shall recomend the Decathlon football baselayers which are both cheaper and better fitting than the cycling ones.
    https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/adult-thermal-base-layer-keepdry-100/_/R-p-171160

dogbone
    frogstomp

Can’t remember the model but they are not like the thicker LIFA ones I also tried and are not merino so one ride only before they honk.

I think the LIFA ones are merino, whereas the LIFA Active are synthetic and lighter weight.

mrb123
    Free Member

https://www.merlincycles.com/craft-active-extreme-20-cn-long-sleeve-base-layer-94699.html

I have one of these, pretty thin. Wouldn’t say it’s a compression fit but they’re fairly snug so size up if you want it looser.

jam-bo

I use mostly Patagonia synthetic capeline base layers. I ditched merino years ago.

lovewookie

great, thanks for the suggestions so far, I’ll take a look. 🙂

FOG

+1 for light weight capilene from Patagonia. I have 2 long and 2 short sleeved which have lasted at least 15 years which helps me to deal with the initial ( discounted) cost.
    I use them for everything and wear them as a jersey in the summer as well as the intended baselayer role.

DezB
    Free Member

super thin, long sleeved and non compression?

This is what you want, the most comfortable lightweight base layer ever –
    https://www.salomon.com/en-gb/shop-emea/product/agile-ls-tee-m.html#color=9665

Shop around you might find the older version cheap. They are superb.

Actually – probably this lighter weight one
    https://www.salomon.com/en-gb/shop-emea/product/xa-ls-tee-m.html#color=13583

chakaping
    Free Member

light weight capilene from Patagonia

+2

Perfect for things like warm, wet rides where you want a jacket even though it’s not really cold enough for one.

lovewookie
    benp1

Helly Hansen polypropylene base layers are really good. Although I’d found the sleeves are too short to fit my arms

I’m using UA heat gear base layers mainly, very thin and stretchy. I also use Brynje Super Thermo base layers, not pretty but oh so effective

dms01

Assos baselayer are really nice….

iainc

I bought a couple of decathlon ones last week, pretty much exactly as you describe, about £15 each, and bright red !

asbrooks

Yep Helly Hansen Lifa, they last forever. Well the two I have do, I’ve had them for 30 odd years.
    Used to use them when I raced kayaks ack in the late 80s.

anagallis_arvensis

HH Lifa are good. Decathlon ones are cheaper and good. The super cheap ones from Planet X re actually pretty good too.

lovewookie

I have one of the Red Level baselayers from planetx, really good, but a tiny bit too thick for warm winter days.

Think I’ll get the DHB one and one of the recommended lightweight ones and report back.

I do run very warm, apart from my feet. So much so that I’m wearing summer super thin long fingered gloves through autumn and spring, only going to something slightly thicker when it’s well below 0. in the summer it’s mitts all the way. However I’ve been wearing merino socks since September as I guess my foot circulation is a bit off (they are quite far away and quite big though)….i digress.

cheers all

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Brynje super thermo in sex fetish mesh. Fantastic under a waterproof with nothing else.

nickc

light weight capilene from Patagonia

+  3

really versatile. I live in mine this time of year.

jsync

How about this:

Not so stealth ad

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Lightweight base layers’ is closed to new replies.