Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Lightest 27.5 X 3.0 tyres ?
  • noltae
    Free Member

Been looking at Rocket Ron’s anyone know of any other light big tyres (3.0s) that are available? I appreciate there are more 2.8 these days – I just got some Maxxis Reckon Plus but they seem too small.

scotroutes

I looked into this when B+ was just kicking off and the lightest available were FatBNimbles. Advertised as 3.5, they really came up the same width as a 3.0″ Nobby Nic. I tried them out for a while but they weren’t really up to anything claggy, so I have a couple been lying around in my garage for a few years.

Del

Maybe wtb somethings? Maybe also the cheapest and shitest. Don’t buy them.

Could maybe take the rekons off your hands if the sums work out?

nixie

Light b+ tyres are not necessarily the best idea. They can be a pig to seal and the sidewalls are easily damaged. I don’t find the extra weight of a tougher side wall that noticeable.

didnthurt

I had thin wall xc tyres years ago that were super lightweight, they were terrible. They would puncture easily and needed higher pressures to stop them folding over in the corners.

Not the lightest as shown below but definitely don’t ride heavy.

27.5 x 3.0″, PSI 25-50, approximate weight 1050g.

I’ve had no issues with mine and run them as low 10-12 psi. Roll fast with decent grip too. Can also be bought at a decent price.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/ground-control-grid-2bliss-ready-t7/p/203431?color=331474-203431

noltae
    Free Member

Thanks for replying folks. The Rocket Ron’s 27.5×3.00 PaceStar LiteSkin 720 g are still looking good. Showing available in UK.

BadlyWiredDog

I ran a 2.8 Rocket Ron on the back of a Sonder Transmitter in the Peak for a couple of weeks. It was light, relatively voluminous and fast, but the sidewalls were made of tissue paper, which meant that one the one hand they felt like balloons because you had to run slightly higher pressures to stop them feeling sloppy and, on the other, they flatted about five times a ride. I don’t know if the 3.0 is any better, but I kind of doubt it. They might be fine somewhere smooth and grassy – South Downs or similar – but horrible on even moderately rocky stuff at normal speeds.

Tbh, I don’t think plus-sized and light weight play well together generally because inevitably the sidewalls tend to get thin, fragile and lacking in support.

ta11pau1

935g for the true 3″ Teravail Coronado.

P5260803
    P5260800

Not sure I’d want to go much lighter, tbh.

scotroutes

I weighed the FatBnimbles at 695g

nixie

They might be fine somewhere smooth and grassy – South Downs or similar

Obviously not ridden the south downs? It’s full of razor sharp flint just waiting to gut your tyre like a fish.

shermer75
    Free Member

935g for the true 3″ Teravail Coronado.

That’s a very lovely looking bike!

noltae
    Free Member

Wow those b mimbles sound crazy light !

BadlyWiredDog

Obviously not ridden the south downs? It’s full of razor sharp flint just waiting to gut your tyre like a fish.

I have, though not that much tbf. I assumed all the flints had long ago been collected and used by neanderthal folk based on my reading of Stig of the Dump, though I may just have been lucky 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.