Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Lightening the Load
  • Akers

I’m looking to lighten the load that I carry on my back this year by carrying tools and spares on the bike instead.

The One-UP EDC and All-In Multitool are expensive, don’t have everything I like in my essential kit, and seem wasteful if you already own all the tools and spares you want to carry.

I have been looking at bottle cage mounted solutions such as the ToPeak Cage Pack or  Lezyne Flow Caddy

Does anyone use them? Are they stable out on the trail? Do they sound like someone shaking a tin full of bolts, or do they fly off into the woods when the going gets rough?

Any better solutions out there?

whitestone
    Free Member

I often use an Alpkit Fuel pod (medium size) but mount it within the frame. Here’s what I mean, this is one mounted on my wife’s Cotic Soul:

If you have a tapered headset then there’s the Fork Cork which is an afterfit plug to go in the bottom of the steerer tube. Lets you put small items in there but you do need to wrap them otherwise they’ll rattle.

JAG

I have an old water bottle which I stuff full of tools and a rag to stop it all rattling around 🙂

Which I then put in my Rucsac or stick in the Bottle cage 😀

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

pictonroad

^ wot e said

google Specialized SWAT range, their bibs are excellent too.

whitestone
    Free Member

He wants to lighten his load not his wallet! 😯

OP: you don’t say what bike this is for. A specific bike or something you can move between bikes?

Akers

Ideally a solution I can quickly swap between my AM Full Suss and Hardtail. Both have bottle mounts inside the front triangle.

I’ll be happy carrying a light back-pack with Water, keys and phone in, just want to shift the tools and spares really.

whitestone
    Free Member

I’ve also got a Beerbabe downtube bag that I’ve used for tools and spares. It’s long enough to hold a Topeak Mini-Morph. I think it was just under £40. This is my hardtail setup for last year’s YD200: tools and spares in the BB downtube bag; food in the stem cells; light, spare batteries, glasses, wallet, phone in the top tube bag; nothing on my back or in shirt pockets. Forgot to mention in the last post that the Soul is one of the 26″ XS frames so not a lot of room in there.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Lightening the Load’ is closed to new replies.