Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Lifeline EVA Bike Pod (bike flight bag)
  • mrjmt
    Free Member

Yay or nay?

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-eva-bike-pod-1

Need a bag that will take my road bike to Australia, anybody got experience of these?

I know people suggest bike boxes, but it’ll get transferred between flights half way, so will be handled a lot more than normal, and I’m going to have a lot of bags and a 2 year old to deal with so a bag thats easier to carry around the airport than a box would be nice.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Personally an evoc would be more flexible for me for use after.

I’ve seen a few and they always look a little fiddly to pack. Though I’d take advice from somebody who has one I’ve just seen them being used.

I know people suggest bike boxes, but it’ll get transferred in Abu Dhabi, so will be handled a lot more than normal,

It’s going to be containerised in the UK and probably stay in that until you hit Oz.

So long as it has a decent flat bit it should fit on a stanstard airport luggage trolly to get you to check in and out through Oz Customs.

mrjmt
    Free Member

:-O stealth edit revealed!

Anyway, yeah I’ve read about the Evoc bags, but they’re 3x the cost of the Lifeline, would they be 3x better for a couple of flights?

(Or, there’s the decathlon bag for £50 that I’ve just noticed…)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well can’t really say if it’s 3x as good but I’ve used mine so much it’s been worth the investment, makes a trip to europe easy too. How long are you in Oz for?

If you are only going to do a road bike that one could be great, use my evoc for the road, gravel and mountain bikes so depends if you plan to travel with those in future.
    Also worth checking the weight of it as allowances are tighter these days

mrjmt
    Free Member

In Oz for a couple of years, this is just for my road bike. The other bikes (incl. MTB) will get shipped along with our furniture by a relocation company but this takes 3 months as it goes by boat, so planning to take my road bike on the flight so I’ve got something to ride once we get there.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I know people suggest bike boxes, but it’ll get transferred between flights half way, so will be handled a lot more than normal, and I’m going to have a lot of bags and a 2 year old to deal with so a bag thats easier to carry around the airport than a box would be nice.

The assumption that a bike bag is easier to handle around the airport is a total misnomer. From experience of mine & friends who use them, they are a total pain in the arse. It’s far easier to get a standard box, upend it and stick it on a trolley with everything else, rather than a rucksack, hold bag & a bike bag.

I have an Evoc bag, which I use because I have it already. To be fair it’s lasted well & it’s been used a lot. But it’s a pain to fit a reasonable sized bike in (with 29″ wheels) & it ends up on a trolley, sideways because of the above. It fits through even less gaps as it’s a 5ft wide roadblock, and despite being massive & red, everyone walks into still.

If it breaks, or goes missing, i’ll be replacing it with a cardboard box.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

In Oz for a couple of years, this is just for my road bike.

A good bag really improves your riding option in Oz and it’s a good investment, heaps of places you can get a weekend in here and there, if work involves flying it’s easy to get one step up Qantas or Virgin FF and get a free second bag on every flight.
    I was using mine every couple of months at times where I was out there, if it’s busy then the bog gets pulled and everything else on the trolley, for Australian airports you never really have to go that far either

Edit also make sure you sign up to Virgin Velocity before you go you will get the points and status credits on the flights out – was it you on the toddler thread??
    https://experience.velocityfrequentflyer.com/the-basics/member-benefits/family-benefits
    Set it up for all 3 of you and pool everything to one account, it’s paid for a lot of flights for me over the years I was there and got me home for free when I left.

mrjmt
    Free Member

Edit also make sure you sign up to Virgin Velocity before you go you will get the points and status credits on the flights out – was it you on the toddler thread??

Yes, twas I.

Thanks for the tip, we’re flying with Etihad and they’re a partner airline so I’ll get signed up.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep It’s paid for 3 of my trips back up!!

Kahurangi

Mike keeps banging on about the EVOC bags – but I have several mates who travel a lot who concur.

The Mrs and I have done the lightweight option (Ground Effect Tardis) to maximise kit and to transport the bags around on train and automobile at the other end of the flight. We also emigrated using cardboard boxes. This however has left the bikes vulnerable to damage (the odd scuff, chipped paint and a crushed rear triangle*…)

* we only had one rear dropout spacer for two bikes.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I do, but it’s also because it’s the most common one coming out of oversized luggage 😉 and the basis for a number of other copies.

Eddiethegent

I’ve had one of those bike pods for the last seven years – it was actually branded dhb when I bought it but it is exactly the same model. It’s ok. Not brilliant, not rubbish, just ok.

Over the years it must have done ten transatlantic trips and is only now showing signs of wear and tear. Pros: Its light and fairly protective when packed well. Cons: The inset handholds are useless – you’ll drag it around using its fastening straps. Top tip: pad both sides with layers of cardboard and bubble wrap before putting the bike inside. It will stop wheels rattling against the frame and make the whole box much more rigid.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Lifeline EVA Bike Pod (bike flight bag)’ is closed to new replies.