Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • LG Soundbar and Subwoofer Question
  • oikeith

I have the LG NG3530A soundbar which was connected to the S33a1-D wireless subwoofer, the subwoofer went pop recently and I cant find a replacement.

Is it possible to pick up an alternative model LG subwoofer and pair it with my soundbar? the sub which died had a pairing button to connect to the soundbar, makes me think this is possible

johndoh
    Free Member

In theory I don’t see why not, but I think it would be best asking LG themselves.

But surely the cost of a new sub-woofer (which, incidentally, I find woefully underpowered on my LG soundbar setup) would be not that much different to just buying a new soundbar/sub-woofer?

oikeith

I wouldn’t be looking at a new sub woofer, more a secondhand one from eBay, gumtree etc, I can see a few options.

Had a look at new LG soundbars (needs to match TV) but the soundbar and sub woofer now are quite pricey and also wont match the size of my existing TV, although the tempt to buy a new TV and soundbar is huge, I really shouldn’t so cheaper alternatives are being considered!

jamj1974

I went for an OrbitSound model when I bought our LG TV, becsuse it sounded hugely better for a relatively minor increase in price.

So, I would change. Especially as great sound and picture don’t necessarily go together.

Cougar

(needs to match TV)

“Match” how / why?

johndoh
    Free Member

“Match” how / why?

The obvious answer would be so they both work off the same remote?

Cougar

Connect it via HDMI and they will work off the same remote regardless of manufacturer, HDMI-CEC (variously marketed as Viera Link, Regza Link and a supporting cast of thousands, LG calls it Simplink but it’s all the same thing) sends remote control commands over the wire.

The notion that you have to have the same brands for them to interoperate is just that, marketing.

And even if that weren’t the case, you can quite often do some sort of Vulcan Nerve Pinch followed by a 4-digit code to tell your LG TV remote that you have a Sony DVD player or whatever so it’ll send the relevant IR signals.

johndoh
    Free Member

Connect it via HDMI and they will work off the same remote regardless of manufacturer, HDMI-CEC (variously marketed as Viera Link, Regza Link and a supporting cast of thousands, LG calls it Simplink but it’s all the same thing) sends remote control commands over the wire.

Fair enough – I didn’t know that happened with HDMI – my LG soundbar only has optical input.

Cougar

Yeah. There’s nowt wrong with TosLink for digital audio to a soundbar, but you don’t get the non-audio bits that you can shove over HDMI.

ampthill

There are 2 questions

Will it work? As in will they pair

Will it work? As in will put sound ok. I assume bass level can be botched. But would crossover frequency be the same? Can that be adjusted?

oikeith

Update:

Needing to match TV is more an OCD thing then anything else.

Sourced a 2nd hand soundbar and wireless subwoofer which were the same model as before, could not pair the wireless sub with the older soundbar though, so hooked up the newer soundbar and all is okay in the lounge again!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘LG Soundbar and Subwoofer Question’ is closed to new replies.