Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Lezyne Mega C any good?
  • Skankin_giant
    Free Member

SWMBO has been looking at getting me a GPS for my birthday, ever one to go against the norm I was looking at the Lezyne Mega C, do they hold up against the competition? (Wahoo Bolt/Garmin 520+)
    Not really using it much in anger just for recording a few rides and finding my way around where I am living now.

Thanks in advance.

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Wow, that good!

I’ll let the boss know to look at Garmin or Wahoo, was hoping the recent update on the Leyzne had improved them a bit.

STL

The new update is certainly a big improvement. I have a Mega XL. Battery life is great (I’ve had Garmins over the years), but Wahoo is close I think. It’s definitely a little more basic than the Garmin/Wahoo, but gets the job done. Wish it talked to the Varia radar, that is really my only gripe.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

ANother one here with Mega XL, not had a garmin, but found it to be reliable and works well for what I use it for. Also I like how they can update it, fix little bugs and add new features, like the latest update it now about to work with komoot (not that I use Komoot) Not sure if Garmins have big feature updates like that.

nixie

I like my XL. I think all the current devices use the same firmware. Battery life is great which was the main feature I was looking for (multiday rides etc).

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Thanks all, I the boss a few options so I’ll await what I receive, I know it’s not a Garmin, found out about the up 40% for blue light discount yesterday and she’s already ordered something….

yetidave
    Free Member

I have a 3year old Lezyne Macro, not had a garmin before, but as above, they appear to have great batteries, and just gets on and does the work. Also the Lezyne app/web work quite well, the routing is a bit basic and maps don’t have a lot of tracks or paths, just work on roads. Mine is just a breadcrumb tracking anyway, think the bigger ones use proper maps? Speed, cadence and a third party heart monitor all on it also on the road bike. Also has a stationary mode.

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Should do what I need, route upload via komoot now so if the app is pants there is another option.

boris
    Free Member

Lezyne are excellent in my experience. Had a mega and apart from having a lofi B&w LCD screen it did just a good a job of tracking rides compared to my Garmin 520.

Awesome battery life but just not quite as good at navigation. The MEGA C looks to have improved in this area though.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Been a few firmware updates of late, latest from 27th April, last time I checked. New integration with Kamoot and Relive.

I did my first “Live Segments” refresh in a while via the Ally V2 app this morning on my Y10 “Enhanced Super GPS” bought in summer 2017, had to revoke and then re-authorise access to Strava and turn off mobile’s 2min screen saver to get it to supposedly work… Although the segment times all showed 0:00:00 in the app! Live timings have to be taken with a pinch of salt, often significant differences once uploaded to Strava, so only of major use on the road if you smash your old PB.

Turn by turn navigation has always been its weakness, albeit I rarely use it as I usually stick to familar areas, staggered junctions where you essentially wanted to go straight over were never dealt with well and you had to double back (or rely on the auto re-routing if paired to your mobile with mobile data active).

I keep wondering about buying the Mega XL, mainly for the offline mapping and routing, it’s ~£145 once again at https://www.probikekit.co.uk/bicycle-computers-gps-hrm/lezyne-mega-xl-gps-cycle-computer/11777347.html

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

I’ve used it a handful of times now so thought I’d give a bit of an update.

Initial set up drove me mad, but after finding the PSA for Huawei phones and their bluetooth power management it was less of a headache. My Garmin HRM and B-Twin Speed and Cadence senors synced no issue.

First ride was a nightmare! couldn’t load a route from Koomot and couldn’t upload once finished. Turned out there was an outage on GPSRoute which the device relies on. I got it working by adding the route from my laptop direct to the device, Navigation was fine and easy to follow.

Second ride was great, uploaded from Komoot pretty quickly navigation was fine, just the route selection was interesting for a gravel bike and I forgot to press start….

All other ride fine, navigation was clear, gps held well and the upload/sync to Strava was quick enough for me.

All in all it does the job for for a Birthday present.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Lezyne Mega C any good?’ is closed to new replies.