• This topic has 81 replies, 50 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)
  • Let's dig deep into the middle-class seam of STW. Mattresses.
  • Stoner
    Free Member

Time for a new sex-trampoline for Stoner Boudoir.
    The 12yr old 1st gen memory foam slab is looking sorry for itself and we’re redecorating so seizing the moment.

Our heads have been turned by the swathe of new “independent”, direct manufacturer, foam/hybrid sellers. There’s a handful of brands in the UK now, but we’ve narrowed it down to Simba https://simbasleep.com/ and Leesa https://www.leesa.co.uk/

I’m thinking the former, the wife the latter. She cant get her head around little springs on top of memory foam.

Any STWers recently upgraded their love-pads and can offer an opinion?

More distressingly however, we have discovered we live miles from the nearest John Lewis where we might test the Simba. It’s almost like living in the north. Not quite as bleak, but almost.

ads678

New John Lewis opening in Leeds soon so Bluuuugh!!

P-Jay
    Free Member

I don’t know what’s hip with the quinoa bothering set, but we tried loads of them last year – ended up with a silent night number – layer of memory foam over box springs. Lovely.

andyr
    Free Member

There’s a JL up here in Newcastle don’t you know </bite>. Stick with just springs for greater rebound.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

I’m with p-jay on the mattress thingy – missus got suckered up by the promises on the free range organic very expensive mattress which was one of the worst purchases we’ve ever bought.

brassneck

AS I like a firm mattress and Mrs B likes soft, we compromised – a Silent Night mattress (not cheap, but not pricy .. £400 I think) with a quality covered memory foam topper (Dunelm ‘Hotel’ I think ..). It’s been a good mix and the mattress still looks and feels like new 2 years on.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Buy them both, trial them for 49 nights each and then send the worst one back after 98 days for a refund?

somouk
    Free Member

We went from a first gen memory foam back to a silent night spring mattress with foam topper. I must admit it’s the best sleep I’ve ever had.

Cougar

If this “direct” business is from a warehouse to your bedroom, I personally wouldn’t buy something I would be using for a third of my life for the next text years without lying on it (and many others) first.

cinnamon_girl

John Lewis has reached the leafy suburbs of Swindon AND Basingstoke. 😀 The latter has a dreadful travelator thingy that gives me motion sickness. 😐

theotherjonv

If this “direct” business is from a warehouse to your bedroom, I personally wouldn’t buy something I would be using for a third of my life for the next text years without lying on it (and many others) first.

True, but there’s little risk with a 100 days free trial on both the ones Stoner linked to.

footflaps

Our last two mattresses were bought online without testing and were fine…

We need a new one, but the current bed is a European King Size, so finding the right size mattress in the UK is very hard, only had a choice of about 3 the last time I looked..

Will probably have to get one made bespoke!

lucien

dooosuk – Member
    Buy them both, trial them for 49 nights each and then send the worst one back after 98 days for a refund?

POSTED 41 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

The one with the fewest stains?……

unklehomered
    Free Member

John Lewis opening in Leeds soon

Has that not opened yet? That was ‘coming soon’ I lived there, in 2009.

inigomontoya
    Free Member

Happy with our Ikea one. and Solihull (for JL) isn’t that far!

just5minutes
    Free Member

The Casper mattress is supposed to be pretty good:

https://casper.com/uk/en/mattresses/reviews

ads678

Unklehomered – It’s actually been built now, opening this month I think.

Think a few things got put on the back burner in Leeds after 2008.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Think a few things got put on the back burner in Leeds after 2008.

I remember everyone suddenly panicking that they were building a hundred thousand small shoe box apartments by the canal that no-one wanted anymore.

andermt
    Free Member

Last mattress be bought a few years ago we went to the usual high street sales places like Dreams etc.

Tried them until we found one we liked (silentnight one so not very STW), which was obviously a dreams exclusive, took a note of the specs and went onto the manufacturers website, found the standard type that matched that then went online and ordered it.

We ordered from The Sleep Shop, as generally over 50% off the Dreams price. I was happier ordering from them as it is a bricks and mortar company alongside the online shop.

Yak

We’ve got an own brand one from the shop we bought the bed from – Feather and Black iirc. We lined them all up and went for the firmest. Probably the comfiest mattress we’ve had.

I have no idea if it’s of quinoa bothering standard though.

slowoldman

Eh? We’ve had JL up North for donkeys years. I first came across them in Sheffield in the ’70s. We have one just down the road in Cheadle (well obviously!).

Can’t help with the mattresses though except to say we are due a new one too.

ads678

I remember everyone suddenly panicking that they were building a hundred thousand small shoe box apartments by the canal that no-one wanted anymore.

Yeah it’s all good now though, they’re even building more…….

I’ve got an Ikea mattress BTW, so can’t really help with the actual topic.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Stick with just springs for greater rebound

Undamped suspension?? Tsk!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

CG, the cognoscenti take the lifts. 😆

It’s also the only acceptable reason for being in The Stoke.

pahoehoe
    Free Member

Bit like buying a bike, a full blown real world conditions demo of a mattress is hard to come by. But we did this

http://www.premierinn.com/gb/en/why/sleep/buy-our-bed.html

and its excellent.

Backup plan was Ikea having had them before and being also good.

cinnamon_girl

CG, the cognoscenti take the lifts.

It’s also the only acceptable reason for being in The Stoke.

😀 but thought it was only old people who used lifts. 😉 😆 Last time I was in the town a certain bike race came whooshing through, first visit to the UK so all very exciting!

mudpup
    Free Member

We bought a Simba 6 months ago. Its bloody comfy……..

Did a bit of web research beforehand, narrowed it down to an Eve or the Simba. Flipped a coin. Very happy with the outcome.

jambalaya
    Free Member

When we where researching a new bed after betting married we where put right off by a forum post which said memory foam mattresses encouraged more passivity during love making as you tend to sink in and stay put. F that !!

We treated ourselves to a ViSpring, they do work best as a whole bed though inc box-spring. We have Tempur pillows fyi, they are great.

P-Jay
    Free Member

@jamba

Well… you lives and learns…

I guess I’m lucky that I put out enough power to overcome the drain of the memory foam ha ha.

popstar
    Free Member

If you find more information about bespoke mattresses, let me know … otherwise -Temple of Mattress knowledge- is at John Ryan by design*.

Hell, there is breakdown of Simba mattress here (https://johnryanbydesign.co.uk/question/simba-mattress-and-eve-rave-reviews/)

popstar
    Free Member

Vi-spring mattresses are high end, good choice.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

I lie on Laura Ashley. V comfy she is too.. 😀

convert

These guys used to be the default STW answer for mattresses – used to be called the mobile matressman. Bought what is now called the origins pocket latex 1500 5 years ago and it’s been good. Their information sections are good even if buying from elsewhere.

Weirdly I have just finished a new mattress conversation with Mrs C to replace the spare bedroom mattress (used to be our old main one). They will be on the shortlist again.

senorj

We bought one from Heals earlier this year…on offer ….very good quality.
    The lady in the shop said the ones with the memory foam topper could make hot people sweaty…no memory foam topper for me…:-)

zzrmatt
    Free Member

I’d go with John Ryan by Design as mentioned by popstar and convert above.

https://johnryanbydesign.co.uk

Trying a bed for a few minutes in a shop is completely pointless unless you normally sleep in your outdoor clothes and even then it doesn’t give you an idea what the bed will be like after a year of lying on it each night.

We’ve got three John Ryan mattresses of various ages and they are all still superbly comfortable.

Drac

I’ve never tested a matteress and never had any issues.

My last 3 have come from matteress man, not all for the same bed but 2 for our bed.

theotherjonv

On the basis of interest free credit and a 100 day trial – I’ve just ordered a Simba. Will post review after we’ve had it a few weeks.

It’s not a whim purchase – have been looking at both online and bricks and mortar offerings recently; our old memoryfoam is both old and very hot particularly noticeably in these past few humid months. Like a waterbed but with the water on the outside. If comfort is similar but hotness is improved that’ll be a win. And if the pocketed springs make Mrs V a bit more responsive too…….. be like being a newlywed again.

yosemitepaul

We needed a new mattress a couple of years ago. Considering you spend so much of your life horizontally on the bed, we decided to do our research, and if necessary be prepared to pay for it.
    We nailed it down to abaca organic a company that make their own mattresses in South Wales. They are not cheap but going to bed is now a pleasure in so many ways!

popstar
    Free Member

Theotherjohn, I had memory foam mattress from Healthbeds … and yeah, jigy-jigy performance was bad.
    Like as if you fell into muddy ditch and sank there, bloody no spring to it, no bounce … just hard messy work. Guess I’m fitter in the end, but memory foam malarkey isn’t for me, that’s certain.
    Proper spring mattress, that’s where it’s at!

Kryton57

Anyone got experience of and Eve mattress? Lots of good reviews, 100 day no quibble guarantee…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘Let's dig deep into the middle-class seam of STW. Mattresses.’ is closed to new replies.