• This topic has 81 replies, 50 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)
  • Let's dig deep into the middle-class seam of STW. Mattresses.
  • jambalaya
    Free Member

P-Jay adnd Popstar 😀 based upon my mtb power output I wasn’t prepared to risk it

@footflaps we bought a 160 so we have same size bed in UK and France, you can get them special order so worth asking. Also a tip for you is laredoute website for sheets etc, French company with uk site (I think they have quite a few uk based french customers) keep an eye out for sales which are generally very good.

Stoner
    Free Member

Like as if you fell into muddy ditch and sank there

Does your muddy ditch have a name? And a does she have a number?

As a 10yr foam-sex-trampolinist I kind of get what you saying. It might also be the reason why Im so fit now.

OK, so if these new hybrids arent all the bees knees, and there’s still mileage in old skool sprung rebound damping, that Ryan stuff looks ok if you keep it below the Artisan, quilted quinoa, level, obvs.

footflaps

@footflaps we bought a 160 so we have same size bed in UK and France, you can get them special order so worth asking.

Just been googling and availability does seem better now. John Ryan doesn’t seem to do them though, which is a shame. Good tip on linen though, that still seems harder to come by here…

Probably going to go for something like this.. https://www.robinsonsbeds.co.uk/item/Supreme-Pillow-top-2000-Euro-King–Pocket-Sprung-Mattress-Medium-Firm-160cm_12315_59_0_0.html

bigblackshed

Hypnos.

By Royal appointment. If it’s good enough to sire generations of throne botherers then it’s good enough for me.

theotherjonv

My new Simba is upstairs relaxing into shape after being compressed into its box for delivery, which was next day am for 15 extra (free for all day 8am to 7pm but I was out yesterday evening)

Apart from a hernia shifting a 50kg mattress and box upstairs and another 40kg mattress downstairs and to the tip, it’s been a painless experience so far!

I also cooked the Mrs a tasty tea (quinoa risotto, for full middleclassedness) so hopeful to test it in both sleep and sports mode later.

jambalaya
    Free Member

🙂

singlespeedstu

If you had any idea how little effort, skill and time went into making a mattress you’d be shocked…

Stoner
    Free Member

lol@jonv

updates tomorrow pls. Particularly on sporting performance 😉

SSS – I didnt realise mattress wrangling was your vocation!

Back to the OP
    We’re on the “spare bed” at the moment while I’m decorating.
    It’s a £2,000 divan & mattress set that Mrs S bought in more lucrative days nearly 20yrs ago, but it has hardly been used the last 12yrs.

We were contemplating making it our main bed again, but despite it’s firmness and exceptional quality, we’ve both had lousy sleeps the last two nights, so we are definitely going to stick to something foam based rather than pocket sprung.

Seriously considering buying both Simba & Leesa and using the returns policy but cant help feel a little filthy doing that, despite it really being both their business plans. It’s the middle class phobia coming through.

Rich_s

I’ll just leave this here (shudders)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37579587

andyr
    Free Member

Went into John Lewis today and tried a simba. Strangely comfortable. We too need a new mattress so it has made it onto the shortlist. The kids didn’t like it though as they couldn’t jump as high as they can on our current pocket sprung mattress.

hora
    Free Member

We need a new mattress. Shamefully we’ve been on the same Ikea one for well over 5yrs.

singlespeedstu

I didnt realise mattress wrangling was your vocation!

It’s not but I do have to deal with some of the biggest mattress wranglers in the UK.

theotherjonv

Good night’s sleep – once it started! Because daughter kept us up until early hours with tummy pain, thankfully with nothing as an end result – given her age t’wife thinks it might be ‘ladies problems’ but I was kept on duty in case it was ‘digestive’ as the wife doesn’t deal with chunder based misfortunes.

As a result, sporting trials have been shelved until a later date. How long till Christmas?

Shamefully we’ve been on the same Ikea one for well over 5yrs.

Pathetic. Because I hoard stuff when the old mattress went out, I also fished out the receipt and workmanship guarantee from the box file of all that stuff. 13 years……. That said it was a 1 grand mattress reduced to £600 in the sales, so < £1 per week

hora
    Free Member

Ours was the spare room mattress and a very very cheap IKEA thing. I sleep like a ton of granite though so I wouldn’t notice sleeping on a stone floor never mind a nasty mattress.

Stoner
    Free Member

You’ll all be delighted and, indeed, relieved to know that in the end we went for the Simba as we liked the idea of the iddy biddy springs.

It arrived in 2 days, vacuum bagged in a box. Weighs 38Kg for a 5′ (150cm) King size.

We’ve been decorating the room and only finished moving stuff back in this morning so the mattress has not been slept on in anger yet. Initial squidging findings are positive though.

Will report back tomorrow.
    BTW you can get £50 “referral” codes if you search on YouTube. The King Size cost £700-50=£650.

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

sooo, how was it? Mrs Stoner suitably impressed?

[currently doing the same tour of mattress suppliers]

theotherjonv

I think we’re about 6 weeks in now – and so far so good. Haven’t noticed a major difference in sport mode, if I’m honest, but sleep is definitely better. It’s noticeably firmer than the old memory foam but doesn’t seem harder, if that’s not a contradiction. Can’t tell if it’s cooler as buying it obviously coincided with the end of summer…..

Stoner
    Free Member

Can report that its all good. Yes a little cooler. Supportive but not firm. Certainly no negative back pain issues which is usually the first sign in me of things not being right. Pm me for a discount code.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I thought I would drag this up as I need to purchase a mattress soon, so firstly I would like to ask Stoner how he’s getting on with his?
    Secondly has anyone seen any genuine sales or just the usual guff like Dreams etc?
    Thirdly has anyone gone to one of the modern synthetic type Stoner bought & gone back to a pocket sprung conventional mattress, & if so why?

I know I should go & try some, but I don’t think I could get enough time on each to tell the difference so the one’s with the trial period appeal, any help appreciated & the budget is unto £1k but I would prefer to spend less 8)

Cheers.

midlifecrashes

You’re a week too early, our Hypnos/Premier Inn divan set doesn’t arrive until next week.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I don’t wish to piss on your chips, but when I searched that mattress one of the top entries is this
    Maybe I over research these things ❓ 😳

Stoner
    Free Member

John Ryan are not really independent reviewers.

Anyway, we have been getting on fine with the simba. Still warmer than pocket sprung but less so than the 10yr old 1st gen memory foam it replaced.

Can’t really say much more about it other than I sleep like I’ve been shot full of horse tranqs and I haven’t had any back pain at all which would normally be an indicator of any lack of support for my lanky frame.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Thanks Stoner, I know what you mean with JR, they do like to self promote but then they did give us the original video which gave us insight into the industry.
    I’m looking to replace a very old Staples pocket spring mattress that has done me well, times move on & I’m wondering if this new stuff is any better given that its not been around that long, again given that first gen memory foam is now panned & dead is the new stuff any better?
    When you think about it if a mattress really does give you 10 years of service then £1k would be a real bargain if it provided comfort for the duration, its but a few pennies per night ❗

yunki
    Free Member

Sealy… they are a mattress company with years of experience

welshfarmer

Unfortunately the info is only available in German but we have just bought a new mattress from bett1.de. It is the highest rating mattress in the German equivalent of Which Magazine (Stifftung Wahrentest) and is sold with an anti-cartel moniker, as it appears that just about all other mattresses on the market are price fixed by a few manufacturers. There is a lot of evidence and reading out there to back this up, but unfortunately not in english. Maybe the mattress price is not “fixed” in the UK although prices for a lump of foam and a few springs might suggest otherwise. Anyway, we have 2 x 2x1m QX Foam mattresses (BIG bed) coming from Germany, all in delivered for about £420. The other halves family already use them and swear by them so not completely blind purchase.

irc

John Ryan are not really independent reviewers.

Amusing on the Q&A page how no matter what the question the eventual answer is to suggest one of his own mattresses.

In fairness a useful website from someone who seems to know what he is talking about.

With a 30 day like or return I might try one as we are due a new mattress soon.

BigJohn

They’re absolutely not an independent reviewer – and they make no bones about it.

They do make very good mattresses though. We have an Artisan natural king size and it’s a really really good investment. We’ve had it a couple of years.

It makes coming back from holidays a pleasure.

I write the date on the top right corner every time we turn it. You’re supposed to do that every few months but nobody does. Sometimes you flip it over, sometimes you just spin it round. This way you can check it’s getting what it needs. At least that’s what Mrs BigJohn told me. MARIO and JULIO are dates apparently. March & July 2010.

But we’ve only had it 2 years?

shinton
    Free Member

I’m looking at the Hypnos brand and found a review of the Premier Inn/Hypnos on the JR website, and yes, the review concluded the JR mattress was better.

Also found a useful review link from the Independant. The Hilary Devey gets a good review and also gets a ‘Expert Choice Award’ at my local Land of Beds so that’s also now on the short list.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

A quick update from me, I ordered a Simba mattress & tried it for over a month but ultimately couldn’t get on with it, to soft & hot for me so I got THIS, I much prefer the feel of a firmer mattress but then everyone is different so thank goodness for trail periods.

Cheers.

righog
    Free Member

I watched this thread with interest, as when it started we had just taken delivery of one of those Premier inn hypnos beds. It was the first bed we had ever paid proper money for, all the rest being cheapo Ikea and the like. I had read quite a few reviews including John Ryan one. But ultimately went with the hypnos as we had a given it a few test runs by staying in Premier inns occasionally, and getting a decent sleep.

Well the first 4 or 5 weeks were terrible I just could not get used to it. I thought at one point it would have to go, but I persevered and either the bed has give a little or more likely my body has adjusted. I am now sleeping better….but even better than this my back feels much better than it has for a loooooong time.

As I am starting to get on a bit I dont think I will be buying anymore cheap mattresses and I will be changing them a little more often than I the past.

A much better purchase than the TV we were planning to buy with the money 🙂

footflaps

We’ve just unrolled a SIMBA mattress this afternoon; it’s currently inflating….

We tried several in John Lewis at the WE. Favourite was a £2500 Tempur one, but with no trial period it seemed a big risk, so we compromised with the SIMBA. Found a discount code online and got £50 off. John Lewis couldn’t order our size, Euro Queen, so had to order direct.

jamj1974

Footflaps +1. We are 2 weeks in and all good so far.

midlifecrashes

Holy thread resurrection!

Well best update then, our Premier Inn/Hypnos set has been excellent, mrsmidife had a bad back over the winter, not a squeak about it since a week or so after the new bed came. I was a bit sceptical of a no turn mattress, but it doesn’t seem to be sinking anywhere, we spin it round about once a month or so, don’t know if that will help longevity.

footflaps

The helpful people in John Lewis warned us that the Memory Foam mattresses can be too warm for some people and that’s the main reason they get returned. Although currently, the weather is more mid winter than early summer, so we’ll have to wait a while to see how warm it gets…..

Stoner
    Free Member

Still got nothing but good to report from our Simba so far.

Yes it’s certainly warmer than a pocket sprung, but since we sleep in a cold room with minimal heating and often a window open, and a summer weight duvet all year round…. it’s really not something too noticeable. But YM*MMV.

*Mattress.

footflaps

We rarely heat the bedroom and leave the window open all day to air the room….

Edukator
    Free Member

Latex, you can’t have too much latex in the bedroom.

We are still using a the warmest Pyrénex duvet you can buy with daytime temperatures of 25°C and the bedroom over 20°C.

jamj1974

We have a window open most of the year and a 4.5 tog duvet. Mrs JAMJ sometimes has a blanket over the top of the duvet if it is really cold. Also helps tha having had a memory foam mattress before – we have been used to the potential temperature difference anyway.

footflaps

By only tip would be leave it more than the recommended minimum 3-5 hours, like a day or so. There was a definite solvent smell from the mattress. Not over powering, but just slightly unpleasant. Other than that we’ll see, not as firm as I thought, but maybe it needs a few days to fully firm up…..

Rio

I was a bit sceptical of a no turn mattress

We’ve just replaced a no-turn Hypnos after some 10 years. It’s been fine with little sagging until the last year or so, but it turns out that “no turn” really just means “can’t be turned” as there’s less/no padding on the underside. After a sleep in a Premier Inn and a test of several mattresses at the Hypnos factory, and given the potential hotness of foam mattresses, we went for a full-fat turnable Hypnos, which is great but extremely heavy when you do want to turn it (weekly for the first 3 months!).

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘Let's dig deep into the middle-class seam of STW. Mattresses.’ is closed to new replies.