Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Let's be honest
  • iolo
    Free Member
    MSP

I had a 2007 Heckler, it as a quality bike, liked the way the suspension worked, light and simple…. but it was too high and steep, felt very much like I was perched on top. Would like to have a ride of the latest version with the slacker angles to see if that has changed.

fd3chris
    Free Member

That elevated chain stay is so damn ugly I think it looks so old.

iolo
    Free Member

Me too. Demoed a Nomad and Heckler.Went for the Heckler.My mate hated his Nomad and loved when we use to swap coming down some descents. That was the best decision I ever did buying it. I really should have kept it but bought an sworks enduro. Heckler is better.

rOcKeTdOg

Hellava review

iolo
    Free Member

I’m sold

Simon

Well I like single pivots. If/when I had to replace my Prophet a Heckler could fit the bill…….. except if I bought frame only I’d also need to buy new wheels, tyres and fork, so I’m out.

ampthill

More than I have

not that I’m unhappy

But I thought this would be a link to something genuinely cheap

prettygreenparrot

No thanks.

mattjg
    Free Member

How is it different to Bronson/Solo and does it matter?

Yeah I realise the suspension is different – but does it mean anything in practice?

rOcKeTdOg

about £400 quid cheaper frame only and a lot less pivots to look after

RealMan
    Free Member

Looks a bit ugly, but I don’t think I’d say no.

mattjg
    Free Member

about £400 quid cheaper frame only and a lot less pivots to look after

alright let me put it another way (genuine question) … why do some people think the Bronson/Solo etc are better and who’s right?

redthunder
    Free Member

Mmmm

Stevelol
    Free Member

That’s a great review, not just the bike but the style too, although I haven’t the foggiest who he’s taking about at the start.

rOcKeTdOg

i know wayne gretski, and now i know Miss Gretski!

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

I only don’t have a heckler, because I came across a heckler copy in the shape of my iron horse first. I like how santa cruz roll as a company.

jamj1974

Probably more bike than I ‘need’…

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

rolling is a good trait in a bike manufacturer…

Kryton57

Currently my ASR-5 suits my purpose for a few FS races also. However, I’ve gravitated to road recently and if MTB just becomes a fun distraction and does not find its way back as my core hobby/sport, if and when I change the ASR a Heckler I would get, basically on the basis it’ll do everything I’d want – local rides plus trail centres – capably and with minimal maintainance.

What was the wheel size anyway?

ahwiles
    Free Member

ampthill – Member

But I thought this would be a link to something genuinely cheap

what he said.

should we be surprised (or even impressed) by a £3000 bike getting a good review?

chakaping
    Free Member

Let’s be honest, Santa Cruz bikes are a bit overpriced.

😉

scruff
    Free Member

I dont like the dropped TT but hopefully thats just cuz its an XL. SC full builds in UK are never good value

Northwind

That’s a great review… Sort of Jones-ish disrespect for the forum, but with some actual clarity. And Wayne Gretzky’s daughter. It is about the bike and it’s about riding bikes.

ahwiles – Member

should we be surprised (or even impressed) by a £3000 bike getting a good review?

Well, we should expect it to be a great bike but the benchmarks are other £3000 bikes. A perfectly good £3000 bike probably shouldn’t get a good review, as there are lots of fantastic £3000 bikes.

sockpuppet

I love the way xkcd appears in be end on every for I go to.

Is it too soon to do the heckler/five comparison comment?

Simon

Genuine question, does anyone make a value for money single pivot 140/150mm travel frame these days?

rOcKeTdOg

dunno, but just seen the blue one in the flesh, lovely! Mate has ordered one, expected delivery in 3-4 weeks

Northwind

Simon – Member

Genuine question, does anyone make a value for money single pivot 140/150mm travel frame these days?

Apollo?

yorkshire89
    Free Member

I thought specialized were always supposed to be well priced, but the Stumpjumper FSR is £2500. I think a zesty 314 at £2400 (or £2120 online) seems pretty reasonable?

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Is it too soon to do the heckler/five comparison comment

never too soon to get some orange love/hate in a thread

ska-49
    Free Member

This has nothing that I need.

roverpig

Is it too soon to do the heckler/five comparison comment?

I’ve been trying to resist, but since you started it 🙂 Is a Heckler just a Five for people who prefer their bikes to look a little less like agricultural equipment? All the arguments in that article seem strangely familiar.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Great reason to buy an Orange. 😉

fd3chris
    Free Member

I wish I had saved my ugly comment until now, it would have been much more appropriate!

rOcKeTdOg

hecklers are quieter that Orange 5’s 😛

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Is a Heckler just a Five for people who prefer their bikes to look a little less like agricultural equipment?

Well I happen to like agricultural looking stuff, which is why I really like the look of the 5. ‘Agricultural’ says, ‘I do a specific job’

hecklers are quieter that Orange 5’s

Hmmm…Can’t say I’ve noticed any noise apart from the noises you’d expect when rattling over rocks, & I don’t think floating mountain bikes have been invented yet to alleviate this.

HALL OF FAME by jimmyg352, on Flickr

MrNice
    Free Member

I dont like the dropped TT but hopefully thats just cuz its an XL

if you’ve got short legs for your height and want a bike that’s long enough for your back a dropped TT is fantastic. For years I rode bikes that were too short by choosing the size based on my total height. A dropped TT gives a longer riding position (and/or allows for a short stem) and less chance of damaging the family jewels.

roverpig

Well I happen to like agricultural looking stuff

Me too, but it is nice to know that somebody is catering to those of a more delicate disposition.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Let's be honest’ is closed to new replies.