Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Leo Sayer
  • redmex
    Free Member

He isn’t dead but went to see him live at the weekend and was surprised at how good a night it was, his band are good and he is a pocket rocket for 70 , so many good songs

Looking at the audience though so many oldies, beige and brown, cardigans and tank tops, corduroy and craghoppers a plenty

Tom-B
    Free Member

He’s the real deal! *Humble brag* I was on the guest list for the opening night of this current tour and I’d say it’s as good a gig as I’ve seen for a decade…. I do some gigs with his guitarist Dave Day, and he’s about as good a player as you’ll ever meet. Same goes for his bassist too! I think that that was the end of the tour this weekend wasn’t it?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Yeah, he’s right up there with the greats…

Joe Cocker, Janis Joplin, Ian Curtis, Randy Newman, Joni Mitchell, Van Morrison… Leo Sayer.

Good grief.  🤮

alexpalacefan

High noon in the first place.

Start on something nice and weak, certainly no more than 4%.
    Remember to keep fuelled up, regular crisps and nuts are essential.
    You can signal the start of the evening proper, say 7.00, with a round of shots.
    Kebab about 9.00.
    Moving onto the stronger beer until 11.00

Club/late pub until closing or they throw you out.

Works for me

APF

hodgynd
    Free Member

Leo Sayer..?

Sorry but I always thought he was a bit of a joke in his hey-day ..but whatever floats your boat ..

hodgynd
    Free Member

APF..wrong thread ?😁

Squidlord
    Free Member

Go easy on him, he’s been drinking for 7 hours.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I’d need a few pints before a Leo Sayer gig too

funkmasterp

I’m so glad that others can appreciate his greatness. I refer to him as the ginger Hendrix. Oh, wait, no I don’t because he’s shite.

roger_mellie

Need something to break up the drinking a bit I find, pool, darts…

taxi25
    Free Member

I saw him at the now defunct hop farm festival a few years ago. And yes he’s OK, he wrote a bunch of really good “pop” songs which he still performs well.

Remember, just because you don’t like something, it doesn’t make it shite 😎

redmex
    Free Member

Well the ticket was bought for me can’t say i was too excited about going but compared to an Elvis Costello a few years ago with just his guitar and that was crap and i do like him,  Mark Knopfer a bit disappointing finished by 9.30  no chance of him doing an encore

DezB
    Free Member

Agree totally with Woppit. Always found Leo Sayer one of the most irritating performers in the music business. I mean, he was for people’s parents when I was a kid! So how old do you have to be now to be so uninterested in decent music that you think that squarky voiced dwarf is any good?? (sorry, that was gonna be short, but turned into a rant.) 😆

rascal
    Free Member

Oh no thank you.

Leo Slayer would be more interesting \m/

redmex
    Free Member

Roger Daltrey biggest solo hit Giving it all away was a Leo Sayer song but im guessing the Who lead singer is shite too on here

hodgynd
    Free Member

You are not seriously comparing the two singers ?

So he wrote a song that someone else had success with ..how does that give him credibility as a performing artist ?

big_scot_nanny

I think he’s brilliant must because of this

remember watching it when it was broadcast and thought I was going to end myself laughing. Awesome!

zippykona

He’s no Gilbert O’Sullivan is he?

funkmasterp

Remember, just because you don’t like something, it doesn’t make it shite

Normally I would agree with this statement, but we’re discussing Leo Sayer so I don’t.

beej

Well I get APFs post. We used to start with lunch in the Bacon Arms, then work our way down the high street. An hour or so of pool or table football mid-afternoon was essential. End on a curry.

DezB
    Free Member

I wish I hadn’t looked again.. I’m just baffled really. Of all the music, of all the songs, of all the singers, of all the live shows… just confuses the hell out of me.

CountZero

compared to an Elvis Costello a few years ago with just his guitar and that was crap

As Declan is one of our finest ever songwriters, and a very fine singer indeed, Leo Sayer will never, ever, come within sniffing distance of matching the Elvis Costello back catalogue. And I’ve seen him play solo with just a guitar, he doesn’t need a band to be brilliant, but the mark of a truly great song is that it can stand alone with just a voice and minimal accompaniment.

Leo could only dream of writing one song as good as this, and Elvis didn’t even write this for himself, he wrote it for Aimee Mann, a superb writer and singer herself, and didn’t record it until some time later.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Jesus, tough crowd!

Not sure the OP was comparing him to Hendrix or Joplin…..like I say, best show I’ve seen in a while….and as someone that is a musician for a living, I get to a lot. The bloke is what, 70 something? Still singing very well indeed.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Singing…?

Hmmm…it always sounded like someone had given him the biggest wedgie ever ..and held it in place ..

A unique sound though ..but singing ?…naaah sorry !

senorj

Leo Sayer – all dayer.

I see. 🙂

bravo alexpalacefan.

alexpalacefan

Thanks beej & Senor J.

APF (sent from the public bar)

johnx2
    Free Member

So what I learn from this thread is that Leo Sayer is not the same person as Gilbert O’Sullivan. And may or may not be the same person as the little tit who sang with the Who, and was on R4 Today this morning, titting it up a bit?

alexpalacefan

Johnx2, you also learned some cockney rhyming slang.

APF

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Leo Sayer’ is closed to new replies.