Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Leaving a car for 2+ weeks
  • crazy-legs

I’m working on a LEJOG ride in September, I’ve done it a few times.

However, getting back from JOG, I’d like to take a few days over it, stopping en route to do a bit of riding, visit a distillery or two and so on. I’ve previously hired a car from Wick Airport on a one-way but Wick Airport is closed so no car hire. Nearest option is Inverness and that’s a pain to get to with a bike and a massive pile of kit (the event lays on coaches for the customers but bikes go in a separate van to be delivered to the customer at a later date).

So, I was thinking of driving up there pre-event, leaving the car somewhere around Thurso or Wick or even in JOG itself, travelling down to Inverness and flying back to Manchester. Travel to LE is all arranged with the event but then when I finish in JOG, I can just pick my car up, with all my kit and start my extra holiday.

Question is – is there anywhere secure and (ideally) free to leave a car (potentially with some camping kit in it) for up to 2 weeks before I collect it again? People must surely park up at the ferry terminal for a few days at a time while they tour the Orkney Islands? Or if any STW regulars live up that way and have a driveway for rent, that’d be nice. 🙂

I probably wouldn’t worry about asking if it was only a couple of days but it’d be nearly 2 weeks and that’s the sort of timeframe that has curtain-twitching residents phoning the police to report abandoned vehicles!

scotroutes

Ask the campsite in JoG if you can leave it there for a small payment?

I’d suggest asking Andrew at the Seaview Hotel but he’s typically pretty busy around the time of the RAB. He might know of somewhere else though.

crazy-legs

Ask the campsite in JoG if you can leave it there for a small payment?

Was hoping you’d pop up on here @scotroutes !
    Just had a one line email back from the campsite – we do not allow unattended cars on site.

Unhelpful… 🤔

franksinatra

The car park at JOG is Ringo. I just had a look at the app and you can pay for parking for up to seven days for £14. Why not just do that and then when it expires just use the app to extend for another seven days. No paper ticket required.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Have you looked to see if you can book onto a train?

crazy-legs

The car park at JOG is Ringo. I just had a look at the app and you can pay for parking for up to seven days for £14. Why not just do that and then when it expires just use the app to extend for another seven days.

Max stay is 7 days, can’t extend beyond that.
    That said, finding the app for there was very useful thanks for that!. I might broaden the search out a bit.

Wick is the next best place I think and also easier for logistics of dropping the car then getting the bus down to Inverness. Happy to ride to Wick once I’ve finished at JOG, it’s only about 15 miles.

scotroutes

The other option is to get in touch with Lindsay at johnogroatsbiketransport.co.uk and see if he has any space for you/bike/kit according to your plans. Again, RAB is very busy but if your personal plans are a wee bit different then something might be possible to help you out.

pete68
    Free Member

There’s a Hertz in Wick. We’ve booked a van through them in early September, one way back to Somerset

Trampus
    Free Member

Have a chat with Jon Hodkin (innertuba). He is based in Thurso and a thoroughly nice chap! 🙂

larryduff

There’s parking on the pier at Gills Bay which is 4 miles west of JoG. I think it’s maybe intended just for Pentland Ferries customers, but there’s no charge as far as i know. Perhaps if you drop them a line they may not mind you parking there.

crazy-legs

On the phone to Hertz now. Well, on hold, as I have been for the last 20 minutes…
    Can’t book online, have to phone for a quote… 🙄

Turns out the reason I can’t book online is that the system is not clever enough to just tell me that the hire office is closed on Sundays, there is no possibility of collecting a car on that date.

FFS.

Aidy
    Free Member

I’m quite looking forward to self-driving cars being a thing for pretty much this.

markgraylish
    Free Member

I’m quite looking forward to self-driving cars being a thing for pretty much this.

A self-driving support vehicle would be very nice to stash all your crap in! 😃

BadlyWiredDog

Clearly you need someone who’d like to drive your car up to JOG for you, meet you there, and then ride home to the Peak District – or to LE I guess. I’d offer, but long covid.

Sorry, that wasn’t much help, but the idea seems like a good one. Maybe next year eh.

nbt

@samuri would probably be mad enough to do something like that

samuri
    Free Member

I am indeed almost doing that. Pity the timings aren’t right. I’m getting the train up to Scotland this month to cycle back

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Leaving a car for 2+ weeks’ is closed to new replies.