Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 164 total)
  • Le Mans 24H 2023
  • simondbarnes

Anybody else off to Le Mans next week for the Centenary? Been sold out for ages but we’ve got tickets and a campsite booked. They’ve shut down the campsite we’d been on for the past few years (and last year they made things a PITA by closing the closest track entrance to it) so will be on the new Hippodrome site which looks massive. Bit of a shame as quite liked the small camping blue sud.
    Looking forward to seeing the new cars but mainly the vin rouge et fromage 😃

daviek

I was going to go this year as it’s the centenary and my 50th but things have gotten in the way so I’ll be watching from home again :/

simondbarnes

but things have gotten in the way so I’ll be watching from home again :/

Shame 🙁
    I’m ignoring my recent redundancy and will crack on trying to find a job when I get back!

daviek

Still it’s usually around about fathers day so that’s usually what I get, a day in front of the TV with beer and crisps 🙂

Unfortunately can’t see past Toyota but you never know and it should get closer once the other teams get some time under their belts. Next year though! Lots of hyper cars and GT3 cars instead of LMGTE will open the class up to so many makes its going to be great!

The 787b is meant to be showing its face this year I’m probably more gutted about missing that than the race 🙂

rsl1
    Free Member

At least a few of my auto industry friends go every year. Never normally have a problem getting tickets, but this year it sold out super fast. Another time I guess

tenfoot

I went last year and was asked if I wanted to go this year, but I opted to stay at home.

Quite like watching on the TV, as I feel like I see more of the race. Hopefully I’ll be back next year though. Looking forward to seeing the 13 cars in the Hypercar class this year. Ferrari seemed to be catching up with Toyota, at Spa.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

I’m away in Holland working – not sure how much I can catch 🤷‍♂️

simondbarnes

I’ve never known it be sold out before. Always been able to rock up at a ticket booth and get a General Admission ticket for the week.

The 787b is meant to be showing its face this year I’m probably more gutted about missing that than the race

I love a good wankel engine 😀

daviek

I think it’s only sold out due to it being the centenary. I’m sure there’s a lot of extra stuff happening this year and also the first year of more than Toyota in a proper Hypercar.

Bullet

Not going but intrigued by how the Garage 56 NASCAR will go

JAG

I work at Gaydon near Coventry. Last Thursday I was walking through the Car Park of the British Motor Museum when I spotted this car being worked on. It’s the Rover-BRM Gas Turbine powered Le Man Race Car from 1963-1965…

Rover-BRM

The guys doing the work told me they were preparing the car for shipping to Le Man for the 100th year celebration. The big issue was it wouldn’t start! It made all the righ noises until the starter motor ‘dropped out’ and then the engine just died.

When I left work at about 16:20 it was making the most amazing whistling and howling noises – all sorted and ready to depart for Le Man. Apparently the fuel pump wasn’t delivering enough fuel – spare pump fitted and away it went :o)

JAG

Another picture…

Rover-BRM

misteralz
    Free Member

That’s ace.

I’ll be at the Historic Grand Prix at Zandvoort when Le Mans is on, but I’ll be in Le Mans two weeks later for the Classic.

@futonrivercrossing
    I’d definitely rock up at Zandvoort if you’re in Holland anyway. Imagine they’ll have some Le Mans coverage on a big screen somewhere. If not, well, you’ll be at Zandvoort. Which is ace.

mashr

Bullet
    Not going but intrigued by how the Garage 56 NASCAR will go

I’m enjoying their Instagram footage so far. If that’s anything to go by it looks pretty rapid, and (not surprisingly) sounds great too!

#deltawingwasrobbed

joefm

We’re going again. Staying at TR. cant wait

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Hopefully Porsche can improve, they’re currently leading the IMSA championship in America.

intheborders
    Free Member

Book tickets and a campsite?

Never done that the four times I’ve been, just turn up and ride thru the pedestrian entrance (motorbikes) into the huge site behind the main stands.

And once got lucky with buying circuit tickets, main stand seats at half-price from an English bloke who’d two to sell.

Best thing with been on a motorbike was we circumnavigated the entire track on Saturday evening, got to watch from the 1st chicane, bottom corner and Arnage (as it got dark).

wipperman95
    Free Member

Just like the Tour, Le Mans attracts the ‘once a year spectator’, and for that reason I don’t enjoy it as much as other races. Where are all these fans the rest of the year? To be totally honest, both events are over-rated and over-hyped….Both the ACO, and ASO are rather similar in how they run/ organise their events.

simondbarnes

Book tickets and a campsite?

Never done that the four times I’ve been, just turn up and ride thru the pedestrian entrance (motorbikes) into the huge site behind the main stands.

And miss 5 or 6 days drinking vin rouge? Non merci.

Just like the Tour, Le Mans attracts the ‘once a year spectator’, and for that reason I don’t enjoy it as much as other races. Where are all these fans the rest of the year?

Who can afford (both time & money) to go to all of the WEC races? What a strange attitude.

Has just been announced that they’ve changed the Hypercar BoP. Biggest hit is to Toyota and then Ferrari.

https://www.motorsport.com/lemans/news/le-mans-hypercar-bop-undergoes-wholescale-revisions/10476506/

daviek

Thatll be interesting, whether its enough im not sure. You also need to look at the likes of Ford when they came back and wiped the floor with everyone in the GT40s a few years back after sandbagging like pros. Although the BoP helps a lot and is why i enjoy this type of racing more than F1.

tenfoot

Just like the Tour, Le Mans attracts the ‘once a year spectator’, and for that reason I don’t enjoy it as much as other races. Where are all these fans the rest of the year?

Who can afford (both time & money) to go to all of the WEC races? What a strange attitude.

Yeah, the races are all over the place. However I do watch all of them on TV, so hopefully that means I can attend Le Mans if I want to. As an aside, I also know a lot of F1 fans who have only been to Silverstone just the once. 🤷🏼‍♂️

tenfoot

No extra weight for the Peugeot I see …………..

daviek

No extra weight for the Peugeot I see …………..

i think the weight gains for the other cars are coming from the Peugeots, which is a shame as id love to see the concept of not having a rear wing work. I think theyll either stop at the end of the year if theyre left behind or do a Mercedes and do a fairly big redesign.

mashr

I’m a bit surprised that Peugeot haven’t just whacked a wing on that car yet. Although the design freeze rules might stop them?

Anyway, he’s a nice wee video to get you in the mood

tenfoot

i think the weight gains for the other cars are coming from the Peugeots,

Definitely. French manufacturer at the French premiere race……….

Shame. I love the look of the car and was really routing for Peugeot when it was just them and Audi in LMP1, but they do seem to be struggling.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

What’s the best endurance racing forum?

The competition are gradually moving up on Toyota, they’ve gone from finishing two laps ahead, to finishing on the same lap. Anything can happen at Le Mans! So annoying to miss it live 🙁

joefm

The pugs wont make it past half way. They’ve been pretty diabolical so far despite competing for nearly a year now. No amount of BoP in their favour will help them if they can’t finish.

Toyota are a well oiled machine now against teams who have just stepped back in and will be finding their way a bit.

simondbarnes

It seems that they’re just making it up as they go along. I’ve always disliked BoP in racing, I would rather the team that has done the best job within the regulations wins. I think MotoGP had a good solution with the concessions to manufacturers who were off the pace to be allowed extra testing, ability to change engine spec during a season etc.

https://www.motorsport.com/lemans/news/fia-aco-explain-le-mans-bop-changes-/10476640/

mashr

It’s all about controlling spend though. If Toyota accidentally released a stinker they could they pour ££££ into those mid-season upgrades. BoP means they get them for free (sort of).

I’m not a fan either, but hopefully it gives us years of a top spec endurance series rather than the boom-bust seen through the likes of Group-C and GT1

simondbarnes

It’s all about controlling spend though

Oh I realise that and know that it is necessary but it makes me sad.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

The Hypercar class is a shadow of the the LMP1 period in 2017 – the acceleration of the Porsche 919 out of a corner was mind blowing. They’ve had to slow down the LMP2 cars to compensate for the slower Hypercars. The upside is many teams joining the Hypercar/LMDH class, Lambourgini and Alpine joining next year. Also customer teams as well, adding to the grid.

mashr

The Hypercar class is a shadow of the the LMP1 period in 2017

There were 6 LMP1 cars racing in 2017 – that’s not a proper racing category imo. Yes the cars were quicker, but whats the point if only 3 manufacturers and 0 privateers even have a go at running them.

In my ideal world there would be a mix of prototypes and homologated road cars able to complete for an overall win (e.g. 1997 when there was a mix of 33(!) GT1* and LMPs on the grid

*Admittedly some of these GT1s were starting to stretch the rules at this point, look at you here Nissan

joefm

out and out laptimes dont really make a difference to the observer so it’s best to limit spend and get more cars on the grid. Loved P1’s but they were spending silly money and net result is Toyota in their own class.

tenfoot

Yeah, I think the current situation with Hypercar, should make for a better race overall, especially with 13 cars in the class. Excited for Jota to be running the Porsche, as they are my local team. They did well at Spa, on their first outing, but of course, it was only a quarter of the race time at Le Mans.

For the last few years, the excitement for me, has come from the racing in the below categories. There’s always good racing between United Autosports, Prema and Jota’s P2 car. And the racing in the GTE am class has been close this season too, with Corvette, Iron Maidens & AF Corse all going well.

Can’t wait. Should be good.

daviek

The NASCAR will keep a few folk up at night as it goes by!

mashr

Reminds me of lying in a tent, some distance from the track, in the morning listening to hear if there were any Panoz’s still running

CountZero

Where are all these fans the rest of the year?

Poor.

CountZero

I haven’t really followed much motorsport in recent years, I used to watch chunks of Le Mans, and the 500 miler in Australia, the name of which escapes me at the moment, and I was especially keen back in the days of Porsche 917’s and GT40’s, but there’s a bit of my heart that wishes I was able to be at LM in 1962 when this beauty finished 3rd overall and 2nd in class for the Ecurie Nationale Belge team, and could have been driven home afterwards. Apparently, it still does the occasional trip to the supermarket! 😳

Oh, and an Italian court recently registered the 250 GTO, officially recognising it as a ‘work of art’; quite rightly so, in my humble opinion. 😎

daviek

@CountZero Bathurst is maybe the Australian race you’re thinking on which is run at the Mount Panorama circuit. It’s also a great race seeing the cars getting chucked around mm from the race ending walls then emerge onto one of the two huge straights.

reluctantjumper

I’ll be following it via Radio LeMans as usual. Not the whole 24hrs but it will be on in the background whenever I can. Will be rooting for the NASCAR to do well, got a new found respect for the series after discovering the Slapshoes YouTube channel over the lockdowns. Not my idea of fun but I now know it’s much more than the redneck series it’s portrayed as a lot of the time.

Reminds me of lying in a tent, some distance from the track, in the morning listening to hear if there were any Panoz’s still running

I went in ’07,’08 and ’09 and then it was the Corvettes that made the loud noise. Sitting at the McDonald’s having a midnight snack on the Mulsanne Straight you could tell where they were on the lap just by the noise! Nothing will beat the Wall Of Sound generated by the Sauber Mercedes C9 though, was running one of the years in a Group C race on the Saturday morning. The owner was Australian and was determined to run it so when it developed a chronic engine issue on his first lap he was mortified. Instead of giving up he would get into the pits, do a temporary fix, do a lap, pit again etc. Only did 5 laps in 90 mins but he loved every second of each of them. The car went home needing a full engine rebuild as it had been running lean and therefore hot. The owner/driver was interviewed afterwards and said the rebuild would be in the region of £100k and it would be worth every penny!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 164 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.