Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Le Mans 2020 – Recommendations?
  • Fantombiker

Me and Mrs FB are quite keen on going to Le Mans this year, but I’ve heard you have to camp and its full of beered up lads groups. Is that right? Are there any quieter, more comfortable options? Keen to read of experiences both good and bad…

fossy

It varies. My lad stayed in the main camp, and it was busy. There are quieter camps though – just check out the main LeMans website as it explains them. My son was ‘back packing’ it ! Far easier with a car.

rsl1
    Free Member

Someone will be along next with the names but in my experience there is only one campsite (near Porsche curves) which is properly loud and even there it’s not guaranteed you’ll be stuck near the louts – one year I slept fine the following year in a different part of the site it was pretty rowdy. The campsites at the more remote corners seem a bit more family friendly and very convenient for easy race action, free bus to the rest of the track. There’s a smaller campsite over the road from the main straight site that was pretty quiet but sells out quick (but is more full of the glamping crowd with generators to keep you awake all night). Also you get a big square that’s more suited to a group than a couple in all sites.

If you want to get a room in town the tram is cheap and goes all the way to the track but can be pretty full at peak times like drivers parade.

One thing to keep in mind is come race day the cars drown out basically everything else and there’s no escaping that, so it doesn’t really matter how loud your neighbors are to an extent…

withersea
    Free Member

Phone the very nice people at this place:

https://www.justticketsandmotoring.co.uk

And tell them what you’d ideally like re. Type of campsite. You may find that the nicest campsites are now sold out though and accommodation other than camping may also be difficult to get.

Also think about what sort of ticket you want. General access is v good value, but you’ll be crowded for the start and end of the race wherever you go.

I’d suggest a grandstand ticket looking down over the pits, gives you somewhere to go at any time in the race and very handy if it happens to rain.

Make sure you make time to visit the Museum in the circuit as well.

If you are not in a rush, travel home on monday, rather than sunday evening.

Enjoy!

sharkbait
    Free Member

The Classic Le Mans is rather quieter – we went last year and are probably going again next year.
    I used to want to go to the main event but the very happy sticking with the Classic now.

dove1

Last time I went we camped at the municipal campsite at Montbizot, a few miles north of Le Mans.
    Each day we drove to the university in Le Mans and caught the tram across town. There is a stop right outside the circuit so it was very convenient. It meant one of us had to have a beer-free day each day but that wasn’t a great hardship and each night we got a good sleep.

unclezaskar
    Free Member

have previously stayed on the following campsites at the circuit :

Houx annexe
    Karting Nord
    Garage vert

Last one on the list has been the quietest but also about a 20 minute walk to the pit straight area

best advice if camping is to pay extra and join the club ACO as then you get access to great showers and restaurant/bar in their grandstand half-way along the pit straight – have spent many a full night in here watching the action unfold. Also you can now get access to another grandstand that the ACO have just down from the dunlop bridge.

Overall Le Mans is a fantastic experience

Have fun…

goslow

I went to Le Mans many years ago (Derek Bell and Jacky Ickx won) for the Saturday/Sunday. It never occurred to me to take a tent. I just stayed out all night then slept later.

leegee

Beausejour is the noisy campsite and its full on and loud the whole time but good fun. ther will be groups everywhere but they are good natured.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Le Mans 2020 – Recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.