Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • Le Creuset – Worth it?
  • granny_ring

Le Creuset – Butler sink – woodburner – 29er – NW chainring are all essential STW items.

🙂

ransos
    Free Member

It’s a gift for the OP’s mother, not something to be bought on the cheap. What kind of message would that send ?

The message is that you’re not a brand snob who would pay three times more for the same product, just to have the right label.

Still, each to their own.

martinhutch

As long as your mum has someone to summon to help lift and pour from them when her wrists go, she’ll be delighted.

Pouring porridge out of mine aggravates my tennis elbow…

iolo
    Free Member

ransos
    The message is that you’re not a brand snob who would pay three times more for the same product, just to have the right label.

Still, each to their own.

She asked for them. Everybody rates them. It’s her 70th birthday. I was willing to spend considerably more on her. What bike do you ride ransos?

As long as your mum has someone to summon to help lift and pour from them when her wrists go, she’ll be delighted.

She has my dad for that.

cliffyc
    Free Member

Got a Cuisinart casserole as a Crimbo prezzie just as nice as mummy’s Le C!. IMHO 🙂

ericemel
    Free Member

I have a pretty big set and would highly recommend them with the exception of the teflon coated frying pans.

Be careful on weight though – I know a number of older people who really don’t like the weight.

ransos
    Free Member

She asked for them. Everybody rates them. It’s her 70th birthday. I was willing to spend considerably more on her. What bike do you ride ransos?

As I said, each to their own. I ride a Giant I bought second hand. Why do you ask?

the-muffin-man

The mugs are lovely but apparently you ‘need all of the colours”‘ according to my wife.

Nope sorry – mugs should be random sizes and shapes, and you shouldn’t know their origin. Mugs are one of the kitchen items that just ‘appears’ (along with wooden spoons).

And no mug cupboard is complete without a massive SportsDirect mug!

😀

BigJohn

We had a no name ridged griddle pan which was OK. Then we inherited a le Creuset one. A massive improvement. Night and day.

iolo
    Free Member

ransos
    As I said, each to their own. I ride a Giant I bought second hand. Why do you ask?

So you could have got a less desired bike (Decathlon, Carrera, Aldi special).
    Each to their own eh.
    If you don’t mind spending a few hundred quid on your mum who bought you into this world and cared for you on her special birthday there’s something wrong.
    I’m just asking if these pots and pans are worth the cost.
    You try getting something for a woman that age.
    Big surprise party in Portmeirion with family.
    She’ll be happy.
    I’ll be happy. Job done.

ransos
    Free Member

So you could have got a less desired bike (Decathlon, Carrera, Aldi special).

Show me an Aldi bike that works as well as my Giant, and I’ll buy one next time.

If you don’t mind spending a few hundred quid on your mum who bought you into this world and cared for you on her special birthday there’s something wrong.

Spending and wasting are not synonyms.

I’m just asking if these pots and pans are worth the cost.

And I’ve told you, they’re not. An answer you seem unhappy with, for some reason.

iolo
    Free Member

And I’ve told you, they’re not.

Thanks for your input.
    Actual owners who actually have some appear to disagree with your statement. Do you own some and have had a bad experience? Have you ever actually used them? Could you please provide evidence of this statement?
    She asked for Le Creuset, she gets. Had she ave asked for a nice watch, oil painting, trip or box of Frosties, she would have got one of those instead.
    I’m sure you’e bike is perfect but if you were given cash to upgrade to a spuperbike of your choice would you say no thanks, my Giant is fine, you can keep your Shand,Jones ti, Santacruz, whatever?

I think I’ll go with the consensus.

ransos
    Free Member

Thanks for your input.
    Actual owners who actually have some appear to disagree with your statement. Do you own some and have had a bad experience? Have you ever actually used them? Could you please provide evidence of this statement?

I own some Le Creuset. It performs very well, in fact just as well as the Aldi clones which are a quarter of the price.

She asked for Le Creuset, she gets.

In which case, asking if it’s worth it is entirely pointless. As is getting upset by the answer.

I’m sure you’e bike is perfect but if you were given cash to upgrade to a spuperbike of your choice would you say no thanks, my Giant is fine, you can keep your Shand,Jones ti, Santacruz, whatever?

I test rode a bike last year significantly more expensive than mine, and didn’t think it was any better. So I kept the Giant.

iolo
    Free Member

I’m really not upset at all. Which pans do you own, which would you recommend and where did you purchase them? Do you know of any offers?

ransos
    Free Member

I’m really not upset at all. Which pans do you own, which would you recommend and where did you purchase them? Do you know of any offers?

As I said, I recommend Aldi cast iron pans. I have two casseroles and a griddle.

iolo
    Free Member

Oh, right.
    Thanks for your input.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Bit late to the thread, but they’re great pots. Not sure about the modern non stick stuff, no experience, but the cast iron enameled cooking pots are great. My mother has one that was a wedding present and has been used regularly for the past 40 years and is going strong. I have 2 that are in regular use and just brilliant.

BigJohn

My £15 Timex keeps better time than my 1951 gold Rolex. But I’d rather have the Rolex. Even though it costs a teeny bit more.

duckman

Ace,only on STW could somebody asking for info on pots desend into an argument.

technicallyinept
    Free Member

Back in 1998, my mum bought me a set of 4 pans and a large casserole pot with a deep lid (similar to the marmitout but without the long handles).

I use the casserole regularly but the saucepans have been in my parents loft since 1999. They are just too damned heavy.

skinnysteel
    Free Member

If weight might be a problem, and it was for my Missus, have a look at their stainless pots. We picked up a set of 3 from one of their outlet stores and later added a large two handled soup pan. Been excellent.

granny_ring

It was making me chuckle too.

iolo
    Free Member

duckman – Member

I too couldn’t quite believe it.

granny_ring

It takes two 😉

iolo
    Free Member

Couldn’t resist 😆

chewkw
    Free Member

Yes, it’s worth it as they will last you a very long time.

You should also consider de Buyer to add to your collection of cooking utensils. A must have.

:mrgreen:

stoffel
    Free Member

Ace,only on STW could somebody asking for info on pots desend into an argument

True; we cou;d be discussing what’s going on in Palestine/Syria/Sudan etc, but this is a far better waste of energy.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I only have a mug, but it’s fairing a lot better than other mugs [including my own].

My folks have a frying pan that is about 30. A few pits, but works great. I don’t know what colour it was, but it’s now black all over 🙂

kjcc25
    Free Member

We have had a set for years, used most days but still in very good condition. The problem my wife has, which a few others have mentioned, is they are getting too heavy for her to lift.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@iolo, best wishes for a very happy birthday to your mum.

Top response re: Frosties !

edlong
    Free Member

Decathlon, Carrera, Aldi special

two out of three and you might have had a point, lumping the “Aldi special” in there just looks like you don’t understand the difference between value and cost.

Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Le Creuset – Worth it?’ is closed to new replies.