Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Laying a Brompton on it’s side?
  • wombat

My Brompton wont fit in the boot of my car upright without removing the parcel shelf so I’d like to transport it (the bike) on it’s side so I can keep the other boot contents hidden.

Should I put it pedal or handlebar side downwards to stand the best chance of avoiding damage?

I don’t mind using a bit of padding if required, my gut feeling is pedal side down with possibly a bit of old karrimat between areas where the frame could touch.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

Protect the mechanisms, realistically you could crash the bike and still ride it so if you go easy on the Dukes of Hazzard jumps your bike will survive in the lined boot of your car.

aP
    Free Member

I chuck mine in so that it’s easiest to manhandle. What could possibly happen in the boot to damage it?

onewheelgood

It’s a bike, not a Ming vase! I always put mine in the boot on its side, no visible damage. Usually pedal side down, but only because that’s easiest given how I carry it.

benp1

I store mine under my work bench with the handlebars facing up. Often gets lobbed in a boot that way as well. Drivetrain is naturally protected by the fold

colonelwax
    Free Member

Rode mine into the back of a van. Broke my nose, glasses and helmet. Brompton wasn’t even scratched, they’re pretty tough. I also chuck it on it’s side in the boot, don’t really think about it.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I had a special goose down padded slip case made for mine with Egyptian cotton, which i keep in a hermetically sealed container in the rear of my car, protected by a Faraday cage and UV screen.

wombat

OK, OK I get the picture 😀

HH, your travel case sounds great, do they also do laptop bags? 😉

StirlingCrispin

On old Bromptons (mine is 15-years old!) – the hinge clamps can rattle loose and drop out.

Other than that – no worries as the drive train is protected by the fold.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

It’s threads like this that make you wonder how some folk manage to negotiate their way through life. 🤣

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Laying a Brompton on it’s side?’ is closed to new replies.