Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Law relating to cycle path markings
  • soma_rich
    Free Member

If a cycle path goes over a lowered curb that is used for entrance to a car park, should there be give way paint on the cycle path or the road crossing the cycle path?

flybywire
    Free Member

recommend speaking to your local authority,traffic and planning dept..

cynic-al
    Free Member

Will depend on the right of way.

soma_rich
    Free Member

recommend speaking to your local authority,traffic and planning dept..

They were not sure!

Its this junction, not sure if you can see it:
    http://goo.gl/lb7NN9

bails
    trail_rat
    Free Member

there are give way markings on the cycle path from both directions.

rather poorly placed lamppost makes it impossible to ride on the LHS where the marking as if your coming from the round about side.

looks to me like the carpark has right of way over that cycle path.

a classic bit of stupid design in this country.

flybywire
    Free Member

the local authority here advised with a detailed reply a couple of months ago to my specific request. They should know.. they plan,paint & managed them.

soma_rich
    Free Member

ooh thanks Bails exactly what I was looking for though I cant find an answer with a quick look at the index.

Legoman
    Free Member

A few years ago I T-boned a car coming out of a carpark, resulting in bent bike, numerous stitches and a VW Toruan in need of a new front wing.

Phone call to my insurance company went something like this:
    them: ‘did you cross a dropped curb?’
    me: ‘yes, but on a cycle path’
    them: ‘your fault then’

Pretty clear cut as far as they were concerned.

bails

Yeah, I had a quick flick through and couldn’t see anything.

Is the question
    1.”Should there be give way markings?”
    or
    2. “There MUST be give way markings, but should they be on the pavement or should they be on the road?”

I’d say the answer to 1 is yes (to avoid the ambiguity that seems to have contributed to Legoman’s collision). And the answer to 2 is they can be wherever the council wants to put them. They’ll come up with something about it not being legal to give cyclists priority but it can be done and is done in some places.

It might be here that I read about it: http://therantyhighwayman.blogspot.co.uk but can’t find the specific blogpost.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Hi, is it a shared use path or cycle track (track is dedicated for cyclists only)

poly
    Free Member

I don’t see any reason why either option is not legal (give way for drivers or give way for cyclists). However IME by far the most common is as per the situation on Streetview – where the cyclist gives way. IMHO this is rubbish and makes for really inefficient cycle transport. However, at that particular junction I think it would be niave to treat it any other way regardless of the road markings! It is a junction to a car dealership, therefore most drivers will use it infrequently, worse they will be focussed on other things when leaving the showroom (new car, where are the lights / indicators, adjusting the mirror / seat etc). Probably all things they shouldn’t be distracted by – but that is the reality.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

oh sorry just saw link to map.

If it is a dedicated cycle track (converted from a footpath or roadway by a legal process) the vehicle crossing it must give way to oncoming traffic.

at the location you show, it is shared use, so priority is shown using road marking. Best practice is for cyclists to have priority for obvious reasons, provided there is suitable visibility for vehicles to see the cyclists, adequate waiting space etc.

So from what i can see, what they have done is implemented the ‘correct’ marking in terms of guidance, but poorly…!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Law relating to cycle path markings’ is closed to new replies.